Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

The Wide Glide Frankenstein Trike Conversion Has Begun...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 07:10 AM
Harley-Jim
Road Captain
Received 438 Likes on 220 Posts

TC, Well done sir. Your pictures show you were meticulous in creating a sharp looking tryke! I look forward to seeing what you come up with as far as the foot clutch and suicide shift.

BTW I've never heard of Frankenstein conversions before until my visit down in the basement yesterday, thanks.

The following users liked this post:
TinCupChalice (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 08:01 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley-Jim
TC, Well done sir. Your pictures show you were meticulous in creating a sharp looking tryke! I look forward to seeing what you come up with as far as the foot clutch and suicide shift.

BTW I've never heard of Frankenstein conversions before until my visit down in the basement yesterday, thanks.
I appreciate the kind words, it has been a labor of love. I've always looked to builds by Indian Larry, Tom Fugle, and Russell Mitchell at Exile as examples of what can be done with some time and attention to the details. And this ride will never be done, it will just continue to evolve and now as a trike a foot clutch and jockey shift can become a reality

Frankenstein has fantastic customer service and support and their conversions are beautifully manufactured, that rear axle is bullet proof using a Dana 30 differential and Ford strip/street axles: http://frankensteintrikes.com/

Harley-Jim (06-09-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 03:22 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Built up a new fender mount for the license plate bracket to position the plate further under the fender and at more of an angle. Better. I love how even as a trike, she sits on the J&S rock solid Simply loving the ride, why didn't I do this sooner???

Harley-Jim (06-29-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 03:41 PM
Tall Timber
Road Warrior
Received 425 Likes on 259 Posts

This thing really floats my boat. You've done a stellar job!

Does it lift the front wheel easily now? Got any Video?

TinCupChalice (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 03:58 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Sorry, no video. Cvaria and I were talking about how to upload video when he had his mishap, so I'm a bit clueless there. I'm pleased if I can get a clear image

But yea, you can certainly lift that front without any issues I've been seeing just how hard I can drift this thing in to corners; I've yet to trip the BAS, so, that just means I need to push harder

Once you know you can't low side or high side, you start to get stupid, I guess

The following 2 users liked this post by TinCupChalice:
smitty901 (07-04-2018), Torky_SOB (07-01-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 09:03 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Sorry, no video. Cvaria and I were talking about how to upload video when he had his mishap, so I'm a bit clueless there. I'm pleased if I can get a clear image

But yea, you can certainly lift that front without any issues I've been seeing just how hard I can drift this thing in to corners; I've yet to trip the BAS, so, that just means I need to push harder

Once you know you can't low side or high side, you start to get stupid, I guess

Hey Tin Cup, I'm glad to see you are enjoying the ride. I agree the cornering ability does instill a ridiculous amount of confidence. I find it hard not to break it loose on u-turns and I'm amazed the belt is holding up so well due to the amount of torque is is asked to handle. I'm not sure of the physics behind it, but it is burning a lot of rubber on these dual 265s. .

TinCupChalice (06-29-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 09:13 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Darryl, you haven't heard from Cvaria or his people have you? Mike (Multi) got a couple updates early on but nothing since. I'd love to hear something positive and/or send him something to show my sympathy amd support.

Back to 'Frank, I always assumed the added rotating mass and friction would actually tame down the bike after a conversion (without engine mods). Glad to hear that doesn't seem to be the case.

Be safe, tho! Three wheelers can get REALLY ugly if they start to go over...

TinCupChalice (06-29-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 10:40 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Unfortunately, I've heard nothing on Cvaria; and that is more than a bit concerning. I hope he's improving...

Old 06-30-2018, 12:12 PM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,845 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley-Jim
I have to agree with this assessment, wholeheartedly. I found this simple suicide shift setup a few years back and being a gimp, I saved it for a rainy day solution. you may dig it... or not. just thought it might help or give you some idears. https://widowmakerindustries.com/

The following 3 users liked this post by BikerPepe`:
Harley-Jim (07-01-2018), stewbeezer (07-04-2018), TinCupChalice (06-30-2018)
Old 07-01-2018, 04:01 AM
K9F
Road Master
Received 393 Likes on 252 Posts

No thread hijack but having enjoyed this thread and the progress immensely I saw another trike just last week at the Hamburg Harley Festival. It won best in class and he too obviously had an eye for detail. Following on from the previous post it too has a suicide shifter. It was a 1971 originally and I thought worthy of sharing the picture.

Last edited by K9F; 07-01-2018 at 04:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by K9F:
BikerPepe` (07-02-2018), TinCupChalice (07-01-2018)

Quick Reply: The Wide Glide Frankenstein Trike Conversion Has Begun...