Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

I'm converting mine to a trike

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 07:49 AM
Dieselnerd
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

My kit arrived yesterday afternoon and I just started putting it together. I should be on the road next week minus rear fenders which need to go out for paint. I'm going to replace the front tire too. It looks like a brand new tire since it only has a couple of thousand miles on it but it's almost 11 years old. Better safe than sorry.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:58 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Nice

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. The longer I stare at my bike the more I'm wondering why I waited so long to make the jump. I know it's not in the build instructions from Frankenstein but I've heard that once triked out your fall-away should be made a bit tighter. I've not done that yet; I wanted to do a few short rides before I make any fall-away adjustments so I can compare the changes to the spec called for in the service manual.

Post up some images of your progress if you get the chance. Have fun with the build, it's a great conversion kit to work with...

Old 06-02-2018, 08:00 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Originally Posted by Dieselnerd
My kit arrived yesterday afternoon and I just started putting it together. I should be on the road next week minus rear fenders which need to go out for paint. I'm going to replace the front tire too. It looks like a brand new tire since it only has a couple of thousand miles on it but it's almost 11 years old. Better safe than sorry.
I recommend saving all you old parts

Old 06-03-2018, 08:55 AM
Dieselnerd
Advanced
Default Progress so far

Here are a few pics of progress so far. Going slow and careful.

Prepped, did this while waiting for kit to ship

Rear axle is a work of art!

All mounted, no shocks yet

Ordered black wheels to match front

The following users liked this post:
TinCupChalice (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 09:07 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Well done!

With the ease of removing the Sportster's final drive belt, you can assemble the new rear axle and slide it under the rear of the bike for mounting to the frame; unlike a Big Twin where you need to support half of the rear axle as you slide it under the bike to put the belt on the pulley, and then assembly the drive side.

You're not kidding about the rear axle; Frankenstein does beautiful work!

What are your plans for the paint on the rear fenders?

Dieselnerd (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 06:28 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Looking fantastic!! I agree, your wheel choice was spot on.

Dieselnerd (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 10:09 PM
Dieselnerd
Advanced

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Well done!

What are your plans for the paint on the rear fenders?
I'm going to have the rear fenders painted black to match all the black accents on the bike.

I was originally thinking matching copper and black with red striping and I actually found pictures of a 105th anniversary trike with fenders painted to match. I didn't think it looked that great. Just too much copper. I also found another 105th Sportster Frankenstein conversion with high gloss black fenders. I thought it actually looked better. With the black brackets and black fenders it all seemed to come together.

TinCupChalice (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 08:37 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Nice

The black of the fenders will flow with the tires, wheels, and the fender mounting struts, and with your black accents in the front and rear fenders and tank it blends it all together with the copper as the highlight. I went with black on the fenders for much the same reason; the bike is black and the flames on the tank are the highlights, nothing else needed on the rear fenders.

Pete, the character who prepped and painted my fenders used a computer optical scan to color match the black HD used; I took him my electrical box cover and the computer mixed the paint; he matched the paint exactly

For the fender mounting hardware I replaced the supplied nylock nuts and used 3/8 - 16 high crown chrome acorns and 3/8" chrome washers; they look great: http://www.hillcofasteners.com/prod/..._CH38016T.aspx

Old 06-09-2018, 08:19 AM
Dieselnerd
Advanced

I got the fenders back from the paint shop yesterday. After installing them I was pleased to see that painting them black was the best choice. It matches the accents perfectly and I can't stop looking at it. Nearing the finish line now. Still taking my time to do everything perfect and double check my work against the instructions.

I installed the raked triple trees but haven't finished adjusting it. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the instructions mean. It says: Tighten the triple tree stem bolt more than what is for a stock two wheeler. There needs to be more pre-load on the neck bearings. Make sure that the triple tree will turn. If the triple tree will not turn loosen the stem bolt a little. Turn the triple tree, if the triple tree turns good tighten up the triple tree stem pinch bolt.

I think it's saying to tighten the stem bolt until it doesn't turn and then back off until it just does turn good again. Anyone else adjust their raked triple trees this way on their trike?.

The instructions also say nothing about disabling the Bank Angle Sensor. Is this necessary on a 2008 Sportster? Been reading some posts about engine shutdowns when taking sharp turns because the bike doesn't lean.

Last edited by Dieselnerd; 06-09-2018 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Added another question
Old 06-09-2018, 08:56 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

I believe you're on the path with the fall-away adjustment; it will need to be tighter. I have not made any adjustments to my fall-away as of yet, my riding so far has been limited to the local neighborhood and low speeds adjusting to the changes. When I do begin to adjust the fall-away I'm going to start from the service manual recommendation and slowly tighten; no sense putting more load on things than what's necessary.

I'm unsure about the bank angle sensor on your '08 Sportster; with my '13 being CANbus if I discover the BAS needs to be re-set to 'external' BAS I'll need to venture to an HD dealer <yuck> The body control module <BCM> will need to be accessed via the Digital Technician and under the options for vehicle set-up is 'external bank angle sensor' <BAS>. They select 'FLHTCUTG' and once that's selected the BCM is reconfigured as a trike.

But without an external BAS you'll get the electrical diagnostic light; the only work around on that then would be to physically install a #32495-98 bank angle sensor, the #69201702 mounting bracket, and the #69201698 harness wired to the BCM which would convert it to a true external BAS. HD trikes use the #32495-98 external BAS and as I recall, that was what was done with the HD sidecar install kits as well.

You might want to call Daniel at Frankenstein and get his opinion on the BAS for your Sportster...

Quick Reply: I'm converting mine to a trike