Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Here we go again

Old 08-02-2018, 10:00 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Here we go again

I am picking up a red 2012 Softail Deluxe on Saturday for the wife and will be adding a Frankenstein Trike kit right away. She started out with a 2005 Sportster with a Frankenstein kit but always loved the Deluxe. This will make 1 beautiful trike.-see pics below. I think we got a great deal at $10,500 with only 7700 miles, and with alot of extras, including both seats pictured. We've been looking for a few weeks and you can get some awesome low mile bikes pretty righteous.

I plan on doing the conversion myself, so pics to come.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:10 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

The Deluxe looks great! You will really enjoy doing the conversion yourself; looking forward to this build thread

Are you going to keep the triked Sportster as well? Three trikes in the garage would be fun, but I can't imagine you'd have any problem selling a Frankenstein triked Sportster if you took that path.

Frankenstein is closed for vacation August 6 - 10, but I see they still have the 15 x 8 185 style wheels; some Hankook 265/50's would look sweet

Old 08-03-2018, 02:10 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice

The Deluxe looks great! You will really enjoy doing the conversion yourself; looking forward to this build thread

Are you going to keep the triked Sportster as well? Three trikes in the garage would be fun, but I can't imagine you'd have any problem selling a Frankenstein triked Sportster if you took that path.

Frankenstein is closed for vacation August 6 - 10, but I see they still have the 15 x 8 185 style wheels; some Hankook 265/50's would look sweet
Hey Darryl,

It will be fun until I get tired of hearing "Is it done yet".

We are going to sell the sportster. It looks cool enough where we will probably get a few nibbles. See pics below.

She wants the flared fenders so we will have to go with the standard size tires.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:51 PM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 399 Posts

subscribed!!! I keep think of Frankensteining my Road King.

The following users liked this post:
NCBANDIT (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 06:18 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer

Originally Posted by ve9aa
subscribed!!! I keep think of Frankensteining my Road King.
The road king monster definitely looks mean!!

Old 08-03-2018, 06:43 PM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 399 Posts

Is there a road king monster somewhere I can see pix of? I'd hate to give up the saddlebags, but I'd think of something.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:20 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer

Originally Posted by ve9aa
Is there a road king monster somewhere I can see pix of? I'd hate to give up the saddlebags, but I'd think of something.
Here is an awesome road king. There are more at Frankensteintrikes.com

The following users liked this post:
ve9aa (08-04-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 07:25 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,749 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by NCBANDIT
Hey Darryl,

It will be fun until I get tired of hearing "Is it done yet".

We are going to sell the sportster. It looks cool enough where we will probably get a few nibbles. See pics below.

She wants the flared fenders so we will have to go with the standard size tires.
That is one good looking Sporty! As unique as it is, you shouldn't have any problems selling it at all.

Those 11" FL rear fenders will look nice; it's too bad you have to give up on the big meat to use them, though.

It won't take you too long to do the conversion; with the exception of the differences in our rear fork/swingarms, you'll go through the exact same process I did. I tried to get as many images as I could in my build thread so you'll know what to expect. With the bike strapped to a front wheel chock and using a platform scissor lift you'll be stable as you complete the transformation. The only part that made me a bit nervous was using the blocks of wood to support the half axle while you position the belt and then install the drive side star plate and axle; my 'jenga stack'

If you have any questions during the conversion, just shout out. If I wasn't so far away I'd come over and help you; we'd have it done in a day!

Old 08-05-2018, 03:38 AM
NCBANDIT
Tourer

If I wasn't so far away I'd come over and help you; we'd have it done in a day!

Hey Darryl, if we were closer I would definately take you up on that. I'm sure with your help we would fly right through it.

I agree it would be nice to have the flared fender option with the beefy tires. I would still keep what I have but it would be nice to have an option.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:51 AM
NCBANDIT
Tourer

It is amazing how looks can be deceiving, and also people. After driving multiple hours to pick up this awesome looking deluxe I came home empty handed. I performed my typical test riding technique of letting go of the handle bars at 40mph to see if the bike would roll true. To my surprise the front end started wobbling fiercely, so I knew right away something was wrong and the trip was for nothing. After closer inspection it was apparent the front end was slightly twisted. The triple trees were definitely not lined up straight with the wheel. Oh well, the hunt continues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Here we go again