Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Anyone ride in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 07:51 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,836 Likes on 2,363 Posts

Originally Posted by ve9aa
LLH,

Interesting (and scary) story !

I was originally asking about a trike or bike/hack combo. I keep thinking I'd ride in subzero weather on chosen days,(not overly cold/very little snow falling) but being in the snowbelt up here, sometime we literally get a foot of snow out of nowhere. I'd never ride my 2-wheeler in the snow, but I'm guessing there's no bike/trike/hack that would be able to cope with that. Even a Ural Gear Up's side car would bottom out.

Maybe it's just a pipe dream.
If I had a sidecar or a three wheeler I suppose it wouldn't be much different on the road than a snowmobile, except where I live I don't think you can legally ride a snowmobile on the public roads. People around here do ride snowmobiles on the road however, simply because the cops never come this far out unless they're called for some reason. I'm guessing most of the people in my area that have three wheeled mc's don't ride in the snow because most of them are old, and don't like to ride anything in the cold and wind. Most of the people on the ATV's or snowmobiles in my area are kids to young adults. If you have a 3 or 4 wheel ATV instead of a 3 wheel mc you have the capability of on or off road travel.

Old 10-27-2018, 07:53 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by smitty901
Often S100 corrosion protactant is your friend.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Er9RLb]
Great pics!

Old 10-27-2018, 07:56 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,603 Likes on 5,172 Posts

Originally Posted by ve9aa
LLH,

Interesting (and scary) story !

I was originally asking about a trike or bike/hack combo. I keep thinking I'd ride in subzero weather on chosen days,(not overly cold/very little snow falling) but being in the snowbelt up here, sometime we literally get a foot of snow out of nowhere. I'd never ride my 2-wheeler in the snow, but I'm guessing there's no bike/trike/hack that would be able to cope with that. Even a Ural Gear Up's side car would bottom out.

Maybe it's just a pipe dream.
Keep in mind these bikes were not designed for real cool weather. There is a point at witch even with good SYN lube and a great battery they will not turn over. Good luck if you have that Red line heavy in it. When it is down to zero it does not take long for them to cool off to where they may not start. You look really strange with a hair dryer and a long cord warming it up at the motel. I have wondered if a heater could be put in the liquid cooled head ones.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:05 PM
Riffraff123
Road Captain
Received 294 Likes on 157 Posts

Back when I only had a bike and no car, it was 15 minute highway ride to work or 1.5 hour bus ride. So when it was cold and dry...gear up and go. Went to work one day weatherman said it was supposed to be nice and we ended up with about 6 inches of lake effect snow in a 4 hour period. Didn't want to leave the bike outside for several days, so the ride home took about 1 hour on side roads. Got stopped by 2 cops, 1st asked if I'd been drinking... "no...am I doing anything illegal?" He let me go....I tell 2nd cop that I already got stopped and let go. He says "I just stopped you to tell you you're stupid!" Thanks buddy...ended up with 2 frostbit toes (no permanent damage) on my right foot. Never made it out of 2nd gear, whole way. Throttle and rear brake use were key.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:35 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Christmas day 1981 I think it was, Wisconsin roads were clear and it was 68 degrees. Phone rang brother in law couple other calls. Wife's made it clear we better be home by dinner. Lacrosse 140 miles one way off we go. We pulled in at my place in light snow and darn cold and some really up set women. Of course we were very late.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:23 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Riffraff123
Back when I only had a bike and no car, it was 15 minute highway ride to work or 1.5 hour bus ride. So when it was cold and dry...gear up and go. Went to work one day weatherman said it was supposed to be nice and we ended up with about 6 inches of lake effect snow in a 4 hour period. Didn't want to leave the bike outside for several days, so the ride home took about 1 hour on side roads. Got stopped by 2 cops, 1st asked if I'd been drinking... "no...am I doing anything illegal?" He let me go....I tell 2nd cop that I already got stopped and let go. He says "I just stopped you to tell you you're stupid!" Thanks buddy...ended up with 2 frostbit toes (no permanent damage) on my right foot. Never made it out of 2nd gear, whole way. Throttle and rear brake use were key.
Dang, you had it worse than I did. I never got stopped by the cops, they were all too busy with accidents to be stopping anyone.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:44 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Been caught in a few surprise snows in my younger days ... It sucks when you come out to the scooter and have to brush the snow off the seat ... makes for an "exciting" ride home ... Too old for that now !
Heard that with my bad ear, working 2nd shift way back when. Went to work it was 50deg and sun's out, 10 hrs later there's 3" of snow & still coming down hard and it's a 15mi. ride home at 2am.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:50 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Long lonesome highwayman
If I had a sidecar or a three wheeler I suppose it wouldn't be much different on the road than a snowmobile, except where I live I don't think you can legally ride a snowmobile on the public roads. People around here do ride snowmobiles on the road however, simply because the cops never come this far out unless they're called for some reason. I'm guessing most of the people in my area that have three wheeled mc's don't ride in the snow because most of them are old, and don't like to ride anything in the cold and wind. Most of the people on the ATV's or snowmobiles in my area are kids to young adults. If you have a 3 or 4 wheel ATV instead of a 3 wheel mc you have the capability of on or off road travel.
Here most road are open to ATV use year round, need lights and 35 mph is speed limit. Snowmobile trails restricted to snowmobiles . But as land owner I can allow others and do long as the ground is frozen. Snowmobiles can be operated on road shirt distance to get to the trails and in snow emergence.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:09 PM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Wondered in here as a trailer hauler and don't have a trike... not yet anyway. Up here we have 2 off-season rides: "The Frosty Bunz Run" and "The First to Freeze". When I still lived in town, I was heavily involved in both for years. Since I've moved out north to a rural county, I don't get to make those rides very often anymore as it's a lot harder to get to the main roads.