Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

sportster frankenstein trike

Old 02-14-2019, 10:00 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Received 447 Likes on 292 Posts
Default sportster frankenstein trike

Has anyone taken a long trip (say 2 to 3 thousand miles or more) on a sportster with a Frankenstein trike kit installed? If so how did it perform? Any troubles along the way? how was the power on the highway? What kind of gas mileage? What speed was averaged ? Any information will be appreciated. The reason I asked is I have never read or heard of any problems with this kit and am wondering if it really is that good.
Thanks in advance
Gerald Martin

Last edited by gerald martin; 02-14-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:46 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by gerald martin
Has anyone taken a long trip (say 2 to 3 thousand miles or more) on a sportster with a Frankenstein trike kit installed? If so how did it perform? Any troubles along the way? how was the power on the highway? What kind of gas mileage? What speed was averaged ? Any information will be appreciated. The reason I asked is I have never read or heard of any problems with this kit and am wondering if it really is that good.
Thanks in advance
Gerald Martin
Hey Gerald,

I can't speak for the Sportster and the power etc, but I have done a couple 2000 mile week long trips with mine with no issues at all. I seem to get around 35 miles a gallon regardless of the speed or how I ride it. My trips have been in the mountains and these kits corner like they are on rails. I find it to be extremely fun in the twisties.

I have over 10k miles on my kit now and it has been flawless.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:07 PM
gerald martin
Road Master
Default trike

Originally Posted by NCBANDIT
Hey Gerald,

I can't speak for the Sportster and the power etc, but I have done a couple 2000 mile week long trips with mine with no issues at all. I seem to get around 35 miles a gallon regardless of the speed or how I ride it. My trips have been in the mountains and these kits corner like they are on rails. I find it to be extremely fun in the twisties.

I have over 10k miles on my kit now and it has been flawless.
Thanks NCBANDIT
bye the way did you find out why your trike wouldn't move while it was in gear and the clutch pulled in

Old 02-15-2019, 10:21 PM
NCBANDIT
Tourer
Received 96 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks NCBANDIT
bye the way did you find out why your trike wouldn't move while it was in gear and the clutch pulled in
I'm pretty sure the clutch needs adjusting. I plan on doing it this weekend.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:44 AM
gerald martin
Road Master

Are there not anymore Frankenstein trikes out there besides NC Bandits

Old 02-18-2019, 09:20 AM
Dieselnerd
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Are there not anymore Frankenstein trikes out there besides NC Bandits
I have a Sportster with the Frankenstein kit. I don't take long trips with mine but I don't think there would be any problems if I did. The Frankenstein kit is pure quality even though it's bare bones as far as looks.

As far as mileage, it averages around 45-50 mpg for mixed city/hwy. This is pretty much what I usually got when it was a two wheeler. I am not a fast rider, I like to cruise and enjoy the scenery. The kit is supposed to increase the weight of the machine by about 130 pounds. I never weighed it before or after so I can't say if that's accurate.

It still rides like a Sportster so if I were to go on a long trip I think I would invest in a cushy seat. The stock saddle is OK for short rides but I can't imagine all day on it!

Old 02-18-2019, 10:27 AM
gerald martin
Road Master
Default trike

Originally Posted by Dieselnerd
I have a Sportster with the Frankenstein kit. I don't take long trips with mine but I don't think there would be any problems if I did. The Frankenstein kit is pure quality even though it's bare bones as far as looks.

As far as mileage, it averages around 45-50 mpg for mixed city/hwy. This is pretty much what I usually got when it was a two wheeler. I am not a fast rider, I like to cruise and enjoy the scenery. The kit is supposed to increase the weight of the machine by about 130 pounds. I never weighed it before or after so I can't say if that's accurate.

It still rides like a Sportster so if I were to go on a long trip I think I would invest in a cushy seat. The stock saddle is OK for short rides but I can't imagine all day on it!
Thank you for your reply. How long have you had the trike kit for and what year and size is your sportster? Oh and do you have the raked triple tees?
Thanks

Last edited by gerald martin; 02-18-2019 at 10:29 AM. Reason: forgot stuff
Old 02-18-2019, 05:59 PM
Dieselnerd
Advanced
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you for your reply. How long have you had the trike kit for and what year and size is your sportster? Oh and do you have the raked triple tees?
Thanks
I did the conversion last Spring so it's less than a year. My bike is a 2008 Anniversary low, 1200. Only about 2500 miles on it. I did the complete kit including raked trees.

Here is the thread from last year as I posted my progress during the conversion. Hopefully it will answer any other questions you might have.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/hacke...o-a-trike.html

Old 02-18-2019, 07:23 PM
gerald martin
Road Master

Thank you Ron
The main reason I am inquiring about this Frankenstein kit is That even though I am 73 years old I still put on about 20 to 25 thousand miles a year and that's living in Canada where we only get about 5 months of decent riding a year. I own a 2005 sportster and a 2015 Freewheeler now but I am going to be selling the freewheeler as it is just too expensive to keep riding with the miles I ride. I only have around 65,000 miles on it and already it is burning a fair amount of oil even though I have kept the matinence up to the tee and I for sure don't abuse it. A new motor in Canada will cost over $8,000.00 by the time its installed. a new belt installed with sprockets would be around the $2,000.00, and so on and that's in Canadian money. For that kind of money If I converted my sportster that I have now and the bike blew up I could just buy another sportster and trade my kit to that one. I have been searching the forums for a couple of years now to find out how the Frankenstein kits hold up but have never found anyone who has had any trouble with them. So if anyone has any type of problem I would love to hear about it no matter how big or small the problem is. Other wise I will have to assume they are perfect in every way.
Thanks in advance
Gerald