Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

My homemade motorcycle camper

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 11:04 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

Very cool, not for me, hotels and bars is the way I go. Even throw it looks to handle good I would not trust it with two wheels pulling it. I have seen lots of accidents in my time with campers. I have over 3 million miles accident free driving truck with two and three trailers at the same time, so I have down the road. Like I said not for me, looks great, ride safe.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:50 AM
HDman13
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Touchdown, I also really like staying at hotels while motorcycle touring. I think it’s probably the best way to do it most of the time and for most people. A private bathroom with hot shower and ac/heat is really nice after a day riding, but sometimes I want a different experience. One that can only be had with a hard sided camper. There are so many pros to this approach, but some definite cons as well. Safety is a big concern. Pulling a trailer with a motorcycle requires a lot more concentration and awareness, and is less safe no matter what your setup than riding without one. That’s just physics, but there are lots of things you can do to mitigate the risk. Trailer/hitch/bike setup as well as mental adjustment/experience on the part of the rider matters. It’s also why lots of trailers are pulled by trikes.

The following users liked this post:
FezDeluxe (01-19-2023)
Old 03-12-2019, 01:05 PM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,659 Likes on 946 Posts

Oh Ya I get it, Just be very safe no fast moves.
Originally Posted by HDman13
Touchdown, I also really like staying at hotels while motorcycle touring. I think it’s probably the best way to do it most of the time and for most people. A private bathroom with hot shower and ac/heat is really nice after a day riding, but sometimes I want a different experience. One that can only be had with a hard sided camper. There are so many pros to this approach, but some definite cons as well. Safety is a big concern. Pulling a trailer with a motorcycle requires a lot more concentration and awareness, and is less safe no matter what your setup than riding without one. That’s just physics, but there are lots of things you can do to mitigate the risk. Trailer/hitch/bike setup as well as mental adjustment/experience on the part of the rider matters. It’s also why lots of trailers are pulled by trikes.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:41 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Impressive and looks good! You might want to consider installing electric brakes on your camper. I pull a pop-up camper with my basically stock 96 (stage 0.5) and I also sometimes need to downshift to 5th to keep moving at a constant speed. As soon as it gets a bit warmer, I'll be installing an Andrews 48H cam and a FuelMoto 2:1 E-series exhaust that's sitting in the garage.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:15 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,199 Likes on 5,396 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
You might want to consider installing electric brakes on your camper.
My first thought on seeing it...a tiny bit of moisture on the road would cause that to jack-knife in a panic stop every time...

Old 03-14-2019, 09:02 AM
HDman13
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

I did not install brakes or a swivel hitch when building my camper. I did this on purpose, and in many thousands of miles pulling my camper thru rain, sleet, and snow I have not regretted my choices. However, all concerns about trailer safety are welcome and appreciated.

The following 3 users liked this post by HDman13:
FezDeluxe (01-19-2023), Long lonesome highwayman (04-16-2019), Uncle Larry (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 09:17 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,780 Likes on 18,557 Posts

I got a lot of negative safety comments when I first started with my Bushtec ... Thousands of miles later I'm still vertical with it and enjoying it when the need arises ... Yes there a different "mindset" when it's behind me and that's to be expected. :>)

FezDeluxe (01-19-2023)
Old 03-14-2019, 09:28 AM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
I got a lot of negative safety comments when I first started with my Bushtec ... Thousands of miles later I'm still vertical with it and enjoying it when the need arises ... Yes there a different "mindset" when it's behind me and that's to be expected. :>)
I agree, When riding I am towing at least 50% of the time, Never had a single issue cause by the trailer and there have been times it and the bike have been loaded down.

FezDeluxe (01-19-2023)
Old 03-23-2019, 05:39 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,204 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Looks nice and we'll built. I'm thinking it a bit large for a motorcycle, especially in windy conditions.

I used to pull a TimeOut Camper two up with a stock 1989 ElectraGlide. Wasn't zippy but did everything I wanted and was never scary.

Last edited by Goose_NC; 03-23-2019 at 05:40 AM.
Tuttu Kakaruk (04-22-2020)
Old 04-07-2019, 12:21 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,601 Posts

I've had two cargo trailers (still have one) that I used from '92 'till 2000.
I pulled them with a stock two stock EVO's and one stock T/C 88, once across Death Valley and once to Alaska.
The T/C 88 was on an UC and going through the Rockies and the Tetons, I determined that unless I just wanted to take my time and use the gears (wisely) I could use some extra torque, especially if I had a passenger.

Not having trailer brakes (for me) goes back to the idea of the trailer (loaded) does not exceed half of the weight of the tow vehicle.

The issue of towing a trailer these days (for me) is the warranty issue (voiding) if your bike is equipped to tow a trailer.
In the past, I've stopped at dealerships for oil changes and an electrical/starting issue while pulling a trailer and the techs (unhooked and rehooked) my trailer and didn't even comment on the trailer.

Now that my wife rides her own bike (most of the time) we don't really need the trailer much anymore but it would be nice to have the option of using it sometimes.

I can only remember meeting one person that had something negative to say about towing a trailer and it came from the wife (passenger) of the owner of a GW that had a rear tire blowout on his bike.
They went down and the trailer somehow swiveled around and nearly landed on her head.

To me, this would be a reason to fear old or badly worn tires more than towing a trailer.

FezDeluxe (01-19-2023)

Quick Reply: My homemade motorcycle camper