Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

My homemade motorcycle camper

Old 04-07-2019, 01:20 AM
4Evr_Cruzn
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Nice!

Can't believe you made this... very cool camper and paint scheme too.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:23 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood
Beautiful trailer!
Keep an eye on the struts running from the top to the bottom rear of the fender. Lots of leverage there. I have had to change some of that stuff while on the road.
maybe you have a better hitch, if so I would be interested.
Seen peeps make something like this using a harbor freight kit tralior.

Yours is nice though 👌

Wiz

Old 04-07-2019, 10:35 AM
HDman13
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys. 2am you’re right on about the tires. I put new tires on before I started pulling the trailer, but I replace my tires early on my bikes anyway. Keeping tires in great shape is good advice for all bikes, but the consequences of not doing so can be much worse while towing a trailer. The weather is changing here in Missouri. It’s going to be almost 80 today. Come on summer!

Old 04-07-2019, 10:45 AM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,974 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Very Cool ! Nice job, looks well built.. Looks like it corners well too.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:55 AM
2wheelwanderer
Road Master

Received 518 Likes on 260 Posts

Threads lie these are exactly why I come to forums. Love seeing things like this. How too's, creativity, ideas. The rest is fun, but love this stuff.

More pics, even if it isn't done. I'd enjoy seeing the inner workings and how you constructed this from the inside out. Don't not post pics just because it isn't finished. I'd love to see the guts!

The following users liked this post:
FezDeluxe (01-19-2023)
Old 04-07-2019, 11:40 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Everyone says they never notice the trailer behind them. I sorta believe that. But you will never convince me in an emergency stop or maneuver it is safe. I realize I am a stick in the mud about trailers.

Old 04-14-2019, 04:48 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
Everyone says they never notice the trailer behind them. I sorta believe that. But you will never convince me in an emergency stop or maneuver it is safe. I realize I am a stick in the mud about trailers.
As in pulling a trailer with any vehicle, going straight on a flat service requires very little extra energy and it's almost as you have nothing behind you but going up inclines requires more power in order to maintain speed, and just as with any other vehicle downshifting to a lower gear(s) and maintain a slower speed to minimize the load on your engine is just common sense.
Even when a vehicle is NOT towing a trailer, you cannot expect it to run as easily up hill as it does on level ground and downshifting and lower speeds may be required depending on the grade you're climbing.

Riding downhill, with or without a trailer is a no-brainer.
Maintaining a slower speed and downshifting to a lower gear in order to allow the engine to assist with braking can help take the pressure off of your vehicle brakes, especially if you are on a long, downhill ride.

As for "feeling a trailer", this to me is most noticeable at lower speeds and especially when one of the trailer tires takes a bump.

And as with any tow vehicle pulling a trailer, you NEVER pull into a place that you CANNOT pull through or out of!

BTW, the "swivel coupler" is something that I would ride without, I've had both and there is a difference and that will be very evident if you find your self in a very tight turning situation or if you should "dump" you bike.
I saw one guy who had dumped his bike while pulling a trailer and it bent his hitch.
Having a swivel hatch allows your bike to be on it's side (Heaven forbid) while the trailer remains upright.

The following users liked this post:
FezDeluxe (01-19-2023)
Old 04-14-2019, 05:11 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 967 Likes on 526 Posts

Nice setup, I've always wanted a popup trailer to tour with....the wife, not so much...LOL

Old 04-15-2019, 08:57 AM
Nate5069
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome camper!

Old 04-15-2019, 09:51 AM
RFFG
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's pretty nice!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My homemade motorcycle camper