Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Fabricate A Trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 09:37 PM
Eggman1
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks everyone for the pics and suggestions. I believe that I have a viable solution.

I'll be looking at removing my scooter schooner from its frame, and either building an aluminum box or buying one, and mounting it on the schooner frame. That way I can still use the camper when I want and I also have the aluminum box for trips that I don't want to camp. No titling or plating involved.

The following users liked this post:
RADLINE (04-06-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 05:59 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,181 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by BikerPepe`
Few other pics for inspiration...

Made mine back in '03 before HF trailers were an option. Took it too Sturgis '03 and didn't see anything else like it.
Went back in '05 and saw a few others, similarly built. Now they're all over the place and I'm still rockin' my old, original.
Of course, there are a ton of was to go with these, depending on cash, ability and tools to fabricate with. Mine was pretty basic and does the job very well.

Bearing Buddy is a nice addition for those small wheels turning at high speeds on long hauls. I also cut the hinges out in my Sears 20 cu. ft. car-top hauler and use a stick of PCV to prop it up for loading/unloading. The "clam-shell" oem design doesn't open enough for easy loading at the height we use 'em for. They also get brittle after a few years use and outside storage, so I've replaced my clam-shell. Easy enough to find used ones on Craigslist. I also dig being able to remove/replace it and use the trailer as a flatbed, if I get a wild hair.
I bought my first trailer in 1997. It was about the size of a large Samsonite suit case. My second trailer was my first camper. Two up dragging a trailer wasn't an issue.

I'm building another Harbor Freight based trailer with a Sears XCargo carrier for now. Using LED lights this time.

Seems that every time I build one someone make me a cash offer a cannot refuse.

BikerPepe` (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 04:47 PM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,845 Likes on 1,354 Posts

I actually sold mine to a friend when I came on some hard times. Bought it back a few years and a few trips later. A few repairs to "changes" he'd made and it's back on the road and ready for action. One of the most useful things I've built.

Don't forget your swivel hitch!!! Many don't worry about it but I've always felt that in any emergency situation, the last thing I want is my trailer binding up on the hitch and forcing me to stay upright-ish when I need to lean hard into a quick turn. Regular use, it's not an issue but in an emergency, every little bit can be the difference between life and death/dismemberment. As a guy who already lost his left foot in a bike wreck decades ago, you tend to pay attention to these things.

Mine is incredibly simple, with 2 metal plates welded, one on the tongue and one on the hitch with a flat, skinny piece of plastic in-between, slathered each season with marine grease and a grade 8 bolt running through. Needs a little maintenance each season but greasing the bearings and all that... it's no big deal and a serious piece of mind when your out there on the road, amongst the cages and some of the crazier stuff you run across. Like that time I was following a pickup truck and he lost 3 wooden chairs out the back, which hit the highway and shattered into hundreds of pieces. Somehow, I managed to slip between them with inches on either side (according to the guy who was following me w/out a trailer) but my trailer reacted with me and not against me.

Bobster109 (12-30-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 04:28 PM
50pannmore
Cruiser
Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I have been towing trailers for at least the last 15 years and I built@ least 7or8 ,one thing I know for sure is that you should measure the width of your tires (outside of 1 to the outside of the other) and double that for the length of the tongue swivel safe make the best swivels. A short little trailer will come around on you a lot easier than a long trailer ( Experience ait cheap ) Aluminum trailers tend to condensate inside A fiberglass or ABS Box is best

Old 04-06-2019, 03:40 PM
RADLINE
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Original trailer

PVC boards added to raise the pod to account for larger wheels

Extended the tongue makes for a better tracking trailer

Pop riveted 3/4 inch plastic pvc tabs for bungee hooks, keep it light!

Wired up all new LED lights

Wiring on the top portion of the pod

lED lights and reflector tape

Ran all of my wiring inside of pvc tubes to keep camping gear off of the wiring

From Michigan to Iowa for its maiden voyage

There’s a 10x10 EZ Up in the middle and all of our camping gear
I bought a used one that a guy built but he never used it.
I tore it down and welded it as it was a bolt together frame.
I added pvc boards to raise the pod and changed out the wheels from 8 inch to 12 inch.
Wired it up with LED lights, added some reflector tape, extended the tongue and added a swivel hitch.
I removed the original springs and installed some rubber torsion axles which makes it ride smoother and quieter.
I run a spare tire mounted underneath, just ahead of the wheel centerline.
We enjoy motorcycle camping adventures with our friends.
It pulls super straight, I suggest using a digital fish scale to get your tongue weight correct.
Have fun with your trailer project and be safe out there!

Old 05-06-2019, 09:27 PM
Eggman1
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RADLINE
Original trailer

PVC boards added to raise the pod to account for larger wheels
Extended the tongue makes for a better tracking trailer
Pop riveted 3/4 inch plastic pvc tabs for bungee hooks, keep it light!
Wired up all new LED lights
Wiring on the top portion of the pod
LED lights and reflector tape
Ran all of my wiring inside of pvc tubes to keep camping gear off of the wiring
From Michigan to Iowa for its maiden voyage
There’s a 10x10 EZ Up in the middle and all of our camping gear
I bought a used one that a guy built but he never used it.
I tore it down and welded it as it was a bolt together frame.
I added pvc boards to raise the pod and changed out the wheels from 8 inch to 12 inch.
Wired it up with LED lights, added some reflector tape, extended the tongue and added a swivel hitch.
I removed the original springs and installed some rubber torsion axles which makes it ride smoother and quieter.
I run a spare tire mounted underneath, just ahead of the wheel centerline.
We enjoy motorcycle camping adventures with our friends.
It pulls super straight, I suggest using a digital fish scale to get your tongue weight correct.
Have fun with your trailer project and be safe out there!
Seams that as luck would have it, my gal's dad has a Sears XCargo sitting in his horse barn. Although its a bit dirty, it'll was up just fine. Will be picking it up next weekend. A little hard to haul it home on the back of a motorcycle.

RADLINE (01-30-2020)
Old 05-14-2019, 05:50 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,652 Likes on 579 Posts

Made this from a harbor freight trailer. Cut it down and welded it back together though, was a little wider than I wanted originally. I have a car top carrier for camping or I can remove that for a small flat trailer for hauling various needed items.

BikerPepe` (06-14-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 06:49 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

I was going to build one out of a Harbor freight base, but ended up just buying the HF Tag-a -long, and added a rack to the tongue.

I have about 7000 miles on it now. The 2 biggest things with pulling it is the added weight going down steep curvy grades does limit you to how much fun you can have, as it pushes me through the curves, and I have to go much slower, and when pulling, my rear tire life is far less than it used to be.

Lotsaluck (09-01-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 02:40 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

That's allot of rack on that tongue!

Old 06-19-2019, 03:04 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
Easy to do if you have some tools and a little welding ability. Built this from a Northern Tool trailer and all that was required was narrowing the trailer. Built a treated lumber floor and mounted the cargo carrier with provided thumb screws so it could come off in a minute and the trailer could be used for other things beside being just a bike trailer. At the time it was a much cheaper route than any factory builts and mine towed much better than my buddies Bushtech that tended to wobble around. Never knew mine was behind me except for stopping distance. All told I had about $350 in this but this was 2004 dollars. Was not a torsion suspension trailer however. ETA the wood blocks you see inside the trailer were to keep a larger Coleman Extreme from sliding around.

If the Bushtec wobbled, it wasn't loaded properly. Tongue was probably light.

Quick Reply: Fabricate A Trailer?