Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Fabricate A Trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 04:01 PM
Bobster109
Cruiser
Received 206 Likes on 103 Posts

That is exactly what this trailer was being made for. I thought about something like you are thinking about in the link, my thoughts were to limited and cramped, or to heavy and not as much cargo capacity. This was how my trailer ended up. It holds a 28 quart cooler, 12v battery w/charging ports, 6 man tent for 2, 22" air mattress, air compressor, pillows, sleeping bags, 2 12x18 tarps, 2 pair of chest waders, 47" landing net with collapsible 52" handel, tackle, fillet knives, LED lantern, mess kits and of course 2 2-piece Rods w/reels. So When used for myself as you can see, I have all the room 2 can need to be comfortable, and my trunk and saddle bags for any other needs if traveling 2-up, I could still squeeze a gas grill and some gas bottles when wanted.

fully loaded @ 235 pounds the tongue weight is always adjustable for best trailering.

Have not used it with the Soft-Glide yet but have made two trips for over 1200 miles behind the HHR on Salmon fishing trips, and it was even better than expected! All camping and fishing gear as well as enough food and drinks for 3 to 4 days without going without and its own power station with it's own battery to eliminate draw off the bike for the compressor and charging of flashlights cell phones and gps etc, and to assure low draw LED trailer lights.

I am super happy and realize, even had I made the tent attached to the trailer I would still be sleeping under a tent material, and would bot have near the capacity for comfort items, or be near as light and nimble.But this is my travel trailer and after building it I found it to be the perfect camper for the Soft-Glide as well as the HHR after testing at over 85 mph in heavy inner city interstate rush hour traffic, as well as backrofes and hilly winding state roads, it does it all. I did a lot of looking at fifferent ideas, and even altered some plans during fabrication which I highly recommend before going with one idea. A bonus was cost, less than $300.00, including cooler and self contained charging components w/battery, which is separate and protected with 20 amp inline fuse..

The following users liked this post:
BikerPepe` (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 01:14 AM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,846 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobster109
I am super happy...
In the end... this is all that matters. Congrats. Hope you enjoy it for years to come. I know I have.

Bobster109 (12-30-2019)
Old 01-05-2020, 11:26 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,784 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Just surfing and came across this thread ... There are a lot of different ideas / builds that work well ... Remember that loading your trailer is the key ( at least one of ) to a trouble free ride ... Also keep in mind that some of the kits ( such as Harbor Freight ) should be inspected before going out on the road ... Loose fasteners and wheel bearings that haven't been properly packed are common ... Good luck :>)

Bobster109 (01-05-2020)