Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Fabricate A Trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 12:06 PM
Eggman1
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Fabricate A Trailer?

Not looking for the "it's cheaper to buy one than to make one" comments.

We'll be taking about a 4 week long trip this summer. Not too sure if I want to haul the Scooter Schooner or build a smaller, lighter aluminum trailer with torsion suspension. I'm thinking a cargo area about 4' x 30" x 18 would be about the right size. That would give us about 15 cu ft of space. Set it up to roll on the back end as well.

Constructive comments? Ideas?

Thanks.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:00 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Easy to do if you have some tools and a little welding ability. Built this from a Northern Tool trailer and all that was required was narrowing the trailer. Built a treated lumber floor and mounted the cargo carrier with provided thumb screws so it could come off in a minute and the trailer could be used for other things beside being just a bike trailer. At the time it was a much cheaper route than any factory builts and mine towed much better than my buddies Bushtech that tended to wobble around. Never knew mine was behind me except for stopping distance. All told I had about $350 in this but this was 2004 dollars. Was not a torsion suspension trailer however. ETA the wood blocks you see inside the trailer were to keep a larger Coleman Extreme from sliding around.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 03-20-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:47 AM
hooter57
Cruiser
Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

I built this several years ago and have pulled it all over the central and western part of the country.

The following users liked this post:
RADLINE (04-06-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 06:38 AM
Eggman1
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by hooter57
I built this several years ago and have pulled it all over the central and western part of the country.
Originally Posted by tnriverluver
Easy to do if you have some tools and a little welding ability. Built this from a Northern Tool trailer and all that was required was narrowing the trailer. Built a treated lumber floor and mounted the cargo carrier with provided thumb screws so it could come off in a minute and the trailer could be used for other things beside being just a bike trailer. At the time it was a much cheaper route than any factory builts and mine towed much better than my buddies Bushtech that tended to wobble around. Never knew mine was behind me except for stopping distance. All told I had about $350 in this but this was 2004 dollars. Was not a torsion suspension trailer however. ETA the wood blocks you see inside the trailer were to keep a larger Coleman Extreme from sliding around.
Nice rigs guys. I like them both.

Tnriverlover...I've looked at the harbor freight trailer for a base. Just don't know if I want to put one of those together. Just tossing ideas around right now.
Hooter57...that gas can mod is genius. Bet that makes a long haul a bit easier to make. Any pics of it open?

I have the tools, metal, and welding ability. Just trying to figure out the best route to go.

Thanks for the pics and input.

Last edited by Eggman1; 03-21-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:36 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggman1
Nice rigs guys. I like them both.

Tnriverlover...I've looked at the harbor freight trailer for a base. Just don't know if I want to put one of those together. Just tossing ideas around right now.
Hooter57...that gas can mod is genius. Bet that makes a long haul a bit easier to make. Any pics of it open?

I have the tools, metal, and welding ability. Just trying to figure out the best route to go.

Thanks for the pics and input.
Most of the trailer just bolts together. With careful study you can cut the frame and still bolt it together using existing holes. Cutting the axle is the only welding involved. Just repack the bearings with good grease as they come packed with what looks like Vaseline and you're good to go. Probably 15k on this one before I sold it with my Goldwing a few years ago with the condition I can still use it if I need.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:26 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,181 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Northern Tool currently has their trailer on sale for $279. I just bought one. Also bought 3/4 exterior plywood for the base. Recently acquired a Sears cargo 20cuft carrier. I'll narrow the trailer by about 4 inches to fit the carrier, and lengthen the tongue.

If I had metal working and welding skills I would build a metal box, and maybe a whole trailer. Once I have it bolted together, I'll have the frame welded and repaint. But this kit works for me. I can drill and paint.

I find it convenient to have a trailer about as wide as my handle bars.

Last edited by Goose_NC; 03-23-2019 at 05:30 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:39 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Here is a good article, and there are links to more articles.
https://pbmotorcycletrailer.com/how-...look-homemade/

m1369x (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 05:43 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,181 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
Here is a good article, and there are links to more articles.
https://pbmotorcycletrailer.com/how-...look-homemade/
Thanks...I like learning from others have done and adapting for me. I ain't that smart, but I usually can look at others have done and have a go. It's been 7-8 years since I last built one. So a reminder is good!

Last edited by Goose_NC; 03-23-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:19 AM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts

I used the HF for the base, 12" wheels turn much less rpm's than 8" and set the height a little higher.
Run the tire pressure lowr than max, I use 20 psi.
I removed all but 1 leaf on each side.
I used a truck chest toolbox and cut the frame to the size of the box.

The following 3 users liked this post by Hoginedgewood:
250starbuck (09-06-2019), Bobster109 (07-31-2019), RADLINE (04-06-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 01:51 PM
BikerPepe`
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,845 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Few other pics for inspiration...

Made mine back in '03 before HF trailers were an option. Took it too Sturgis '03 and didn't see anything else like it.
Went back in '05 and saw a few others, similarly built. Now they're all over the place and I'm still rockin' my old, original.
Of course, there are a ton of was to go with these, depending on cash, ability and tools to fabricate with. Mine was pretty basic and does the job very well.

Bearing Buddy is a nice addition for those small wheels turning at high speeds on long hauls. I also cut the hinges out in my Sears 20 cu. ft. car-top hauler and use a stick of PCV to prop it up for loading/unloading. The "clam-shell" oem design doesn't open enough for easy loading at the height we use 'em for. They also get brittle after a few years use and outside storage, so I've replaced my clam-shell. Easy enough to find used ones on Craigslist. I also dig being able to remove/replace it and use the trailer as a flatbed, if I get a wild hair.

RADLINE (04-06-2019)

Quick Reply: Fabricate A Trailer?