Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Trailer Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 12:38 PM
Trevor Long
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Question

Not sure if in the right area but here goes...

I have a 6x10 single axle open trailer and need to haul a Softail and a 1200C from CO to AZ. They both fit side by side with plenty of room. Do I need to do any special configuration for load balance given the size and 250 - 300 lb weight difference? I know tandem axle would be better and tandem enclosed would be best, but I do not currently have either, just the open single axle.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:22 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,694 Likes on 1,150 Posts

We have had 2 occasions to carry an Ultra and a Softtail on a trailer that size with a single axle.
We staggered them with the Ultra to the front and the Softail about 2 ft back. This was done for room on the trailer.
Covered just under 700 mi one way each trip. All went well along with the tires and axle of the trailer rated for such a load.

First chance I had I traded for a 8x10 trailer also with a single axle. Much easier to load and tie down.
The trailer has removable Condor wheel chocks and stowable ramps. It's only been used twice as well over several years.

It's been good to have it for other things as well.

One of those when ya need it It's nice to have.

WP

Old 06-15-2019, 04:25 PM
Trevor Long
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WP50
We have had 2 occasions to carry an Ultra and a Softtail on a trailer that size with a single axle.
We staggered them with the Ultra to the front and the Softail about 2 ft back. This was done for room on the trailer.
Covered just under 700 mi one way each trip. All went well along with the tires and axle of the trailer rated for such a load.

First chance I had I traded for a 8x10 trailer also with a single axle. Much easier to load and tie down.
The trailer has removable Condor wheel chocks and stowable ramps. It's only been used twice as well over several years.

It's been good to have it for other things as well.

One of those when ya need it It's nice to have.

WP
Thanks WP50. Lighter bike about 2' back? No crazy swaying?