Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Trike Build Update

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 357 Likes on 252 Posts

I need to check more of the sub-forums more often.

Looks sweet.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:30 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zoood
Well I had that urge to try the trike out. Though it's still unfinished.
I just needed to experience the difference compared to a 2 wheeler.

I pulled out of my driveway onto this country road here. Mind you,...
I had no helmet on, nor did the trike have rear lights or even a license plate.
Besides. Its just a back woods country road with very minimal local traffic.

Handling was totally different than what I was use to. But in time I knew I will get the feel for it.
With a hard take-off. It was cool seeing dual rubber marks on the pavement.
The tires grabbed well and the front end just loved coming up off the ground.
Though its reckless in another's eyes to see me constantly pulling wheelies. I was having a blast!

For a moment, I heard a strange noise. One that was garbled and coming from the rear.
Dam! Now what? I heard it again,... only it was much louder! I started listening at all different angles while riding the trike.
And sure enough,... there's that noise again! I turned to look towards the back of the trike. Noticing the problem stood out like a sore dik in a VD clinic!
I had a freakin cop on my *** trying to get me to pull over!!!!

Dam! No lights! No Helmet! No license plate. I'm screwed!

I immediately did what any other old school biker would do.

I took off! Though I had mirrors mounted on my inner fairing. I didnt even look to see where he was.
I just knew he was right on my ***. I knew I wouldn't have a chance to loose him on the paved road.
Especially when I tried to pull my first high speed turn. Much wider than I had anticipated and it placed me on the other side of the road.
Now I have reckless driving added. My heart was throbbin and both hands had a death grip on the steering. Just after that hairy turn.
I shot through a farmers gate and out in the pasture I went. For a moment I felt like I was on a cattle drive! Cows were scattering all over the place.
I did a large circle back and noticed that the cop had stopped to avoid hitting any cattle. I shot back through that gate and out on the pavement again.
I have no idea how fast I was moving. But any Nas Car driver would be impressed at how fast I pulled into my garage and closed the door!

I got out by my fence and watched to see if the cop was still in pursuit. Sure enough! Hammer down! and he flew right by my place.
As I saw him disappear down the road, it leaves me thinking about the ordeal I just went through. I'm sure some of you are thinking
I got away with it and some are thinking that the cop turned around and came back.

But what really happened is I made this whole story up and that I'm still doing my build while holding your interests. lol

RJ
RJ,
quit screwing with us and either get back to work making them fine protectors for the boys or get the damn trike built. you have us all in suspense.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:43 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gman, Im working at both. The fiber-glass body Im using in the build; the lid never fit right. It's taking a little to figure out different cuts so that I can reduce its size and manipulate it's fit. The cuts have to be perfect to reduce the amount of glass work I'll have to do to the lid before painting.

RJ

Old 01-07-2009, 09:36 AM
Philt
Road Master

Really nice! I love the look. I have been wanting to turn my RKC into a 3-wheeler, but don't want one like everyone else has. I have always liked the servi-cars. Very nostalgic. Did Time-out trailers sell you just the body, or did you find one somewhere else? I checked out there website and didn't see if they ship just the body. Can I ask youo how much it cost you for the body?
I really like what you are doing.
Phil

Old 01-07-2009, 03:05 PM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i haven't noticed any recent pics of the build. how is it going? where are you with it, now?

Old 01-07-2009, 03:31 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by grimm
i haven't noticed any recent pics of the build. how is it going? where are you with it, now?
I was having problems uploading to my site and enabling the pictures as thumbnails. For some reason it wasnt allowing me to do that. But I'll try to update soon. I do have more photos and updates.

RJ

Old 01-07-2009, 03:48 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Philt
Really nice! I love the look. I have been wanting to turn my RKC into a 3-wheeler, but don't want one like everyone else has. I have always liked the servi-cars. Very nostalgic. Did Time-out trailers sell you just the body, or did you find one somewhere else? I checked out there website and didn't see if they ship just the body. Can I ask youo how much it cost you for the body?
I really like what you are doing.
Phil
Philt, I bought that trailer from a guy that use to pull it behind his 35 chevy street rod. Though I did talk with Time-out trailers that bought Hot Rod Trailers out. I asked just for the body. I was planning on maybe making a matching trailer for the trike. Since I have the original trailer that body comes on. I think that trailer complete is like 1600.00. But just for the body. I think I remember the owner saying 1100.00. plus 20.00 for the 2 hinges. the shock absorber style lid openers were even more to the price. Though he would sell just the body. I think he would rather sell the whole set up. I remember also asking him about how the lid didnt sit right on the body. he said it can be fitted right by washers under one of the sides where it sets on the frame rail. That didnt work for me. However they may have fixed that. Either way,... if you do get one. You can look at what I did. Since im already venturing down this path.

RJ

Old 01-07-2009, 04:22 PM
Philt
Road Master

Thanks for the info. I'll be watching this thread for more updates. Can't wait to see it done.
Phil

Old 01-13-2009, 03:51 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Default Trike Build Continues

For the latest status of my build,....

Click Here

Old 01-25-2009, 08:31 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Default Inner Fender Wheel Well Fabrication

Use of a shrinker, stretcher metal tool. Allowed formation of a curved right angle for the inner fender support.

This right angle form will ensure the strength needed to maintain the inner fender wheel well opening.

All seams will be sealed with a marine silicon adhesive. Metal to metal contact points will be encased in a neoprene rubber "U" channel. The entire inner cargo area will be laid-out in such a way to prevent rain or moisture from entering and will be finished with a short nap-carpet. This part of the build will take the longest to fabricate. Since the body being used was designed as a trailer body and not for the trike.

Build Progress

RJ

Quick Reply: Trike Build Update