Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Tri Glide owners help

Old 12-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tri Glide owners help

I know there aren't many of us on here, but if anyone that owns the tri glide has been able to ride it yet, because of winter time, I really need help in finding neutral. I have tried rolling to a stop and no go. I have shut it off and turned the ignition back on and tried. I can do it when I first get on to start it, but that seems to be the only time I can get to it. I got to it by accident once while shifting from 1st to 2nd and that was the only time. I can't get it into reverse whihout going to neutral. HELP!!!! Are you having the same problem? What have you done?

By the way I LOVE MY TRIKE except for this.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:15 AM
HJP
Cruiser

Try putting the trike in first then just bump the shifter up with your foot. Some bikes are the pits to find N. You may have to get the clutch adjusted.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Ron H
Cruiser
Default Finding Neutral

Your difficulty in finding neutral is an issue common to all Harley Touring bikes, not just your Tri-Glide. When it was new, my '07 SG had the same problem. Now, after 6000 miles, it's much easier to get into neutral; however, there are still times when I've got to play around until it goes in. As HJP suggests, it's definitely easier by moving the front shift lever up from 1st gear.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:14 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Dealer should be able to fix it. If you can't get it in neutral with the engine off it is not a clutch adjustment. It could be the shift linkage needs to be adjusted. As RonH said it does get better when you put more miles on.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:35 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Like others have said, it isn't specific to the Triglide and should get better with some miles. If I remember this is your 1st manual shift bike? If so it will take some time and practice to get the knack. The best way I can describe it is have the bike in 1st and then just barely bump the heal shifter down like your shifting to 2nd gear, just don't push all the way down. You just want get half way between 1st and 2nd which should put you into neutral.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:41 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might also want to check to make sure the clutch is adjusted correctly. I found that readjusting the clutch rod to make the clutch pull a little sooner and then readjusting the clutch cable made it a bit easier to find neutural

Old 01-13-2009, 07:41 PM
FlaJim
Intermediate

I picked up my triglide Dec 16th. What a fun ride. I also have a little problem finding neutral. As I think back I had the same issue with 2007 Road King. After 16,000 miles I got use to it or it went away.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:50 PM
FlaJim
Intermediate

I picked up my Triglide Dec 16th. What a fun ride. I have the same issue with finding neutral. I think back and I had the same issue with my 2007 Road King. After 16,000 I guess it worked it self out.

Last edited by FlaJim; 01-13-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Delete
Old 01-13-2009, 08:10 PM
cubbear42
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did have trouble finding neutral, but it does work better with practice. What works best for me is to be sure the it is in 1st gear and then pull the clutch lever all the way against the handle bar and apply just enough pressure to move the shift lever into neutral.

If parked on a slight incline and the trike is left in any gear and becomes locked in that gear, it may be necessary to start the motor and move the trike slightly and then go to first gear and then on up to neutral. Again it works better for me if the clutch lever is pulled all the way until it contacts the handlebar.

Good luck with your trike, I really love mine.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:16 AM
tririder
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Finding neutral.....

I got my Tri-Glide in Oct.08 and love it!
I had the same problem finding neutral and I wasn't comfortable with the heel shifter. It did help to fully disengage the clutch and roll the bike a little and then tap it into neutral. What a bother!
So, I took it to the dealer, had them remove the heel shifter and adjust the clutch. Worked like a charm and they didn't charge me for it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tri Glide owners help