Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Tri-Glide Chrome Rear Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:30 AM
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You said yours were 4 x 110. Mine are 4 x 108mm (same as 4 x 4.25). 4 x 110 is in the Mazda family of vehicles and I think the Fiat as well, not a widely used lug pattern. Ain't it just like HD and Lehman to try and use something that you can't duplicate. I run into this all the time trying to convert things, especially on a Lehman. Looks like your project idea may get "messy". Your other options would be changing hubs, but you have to change axles, or get to the machine shop to do that and this starts to get way....way out of hand. If Lehman/Harley had left the bolt pattern at a 4 x 108, Ford wheels would have been very plentiful. As for the expensive chrome job, I have discovred that aftermarket chroming, especially on complicated shapes, is iffy at best.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:33 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote=1550vt;5204510]I surely thought the TG had a 15 x 7 wheel, but I don't think that will matter. Your 20570R15 tire should fit a 15 x 7 wheel, but I am no tire expert either. My Lehman has a 15 x 7 wheel on a 4 x 4.25 bolt pattern. This wheel is an early Mustang, Thunderbird and other Ford model wheel. They are pretty plentiful. There are various web sites out there that list the bolt pattern for every vehicle ever made, but then you have to find the proper setback, etc. and make sure it will go over your rotor and caliper.

Fun...ain't it![/quote]

Thanks VT for all of the help, I talked to 3 Lahman dealers today and all 3 said that Lehman's 15 x 7 Chrome Attitude wheel would NOT work on the Tri-Glide because of the offset!

I talked to another local tire dealer and he said that he uses a chroming company in L.A that dose excellent work at a reasonable price. He estimates that they would charge me $200.00 a wheel plus shipping with a 3 week turn around. That is much better than a previous quote of $550.00 per wheel with a 4-6 week turn around.

I think that I’m going to wait until August when the 2010’s come out; I have a stink-en suspicion that Harley will introduce a chrome wheel option. Why else would they go through all of the trouble to “Reinvent the Wheel”
(pun definitely intended) by designing a size, bolt pattern and set back that is Harley specific?

If they don’t come out with a chrome wheel, than I will wait until winter and put the bike down for 3 weeks to get her chrome shoes.

No VT, it ain’t a lot of fun it is a big pain! But I don’t smoke, I don’t drink, I don’t do drugs or cheat on my wife…so what else do I have to do with my time?

Stay safe,

Jim

P.S.
Here’s a heads up for my fellow Tri-Glider’s; don’t damage or get your rear wheels stolen; I was entertaining the thought of buying a new set and sending them out be chromed but discovered that not a single dealer in the entire nation has one in-stock. I am being told that they are on “indefinite back order”!

Last edited by TheJimer; 07-01-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:06 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim im scared to ask what a replacement wheel would cost. If you could get one.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Road Warrior

Having been through some of these things with some of these people, I can tell you that both Lehman and Harley will make every effort to build a product that is almost impossible to do any sort of work-around. They want you to have to come to them and pay their price and they will give it to you when they get good and ready. I went through this with Lehman trying to convert from drum to disc and they insisted I had to buy a new rear end for $4,000 from them, Lehman that is. I set my mind to beating them and it took me a few months to research just what they used on these rear ends and what it would take to get a set of disc brakes on one. Lehman used parts from 3 different Ford rear end systems, but I figured it all out and converted mine to disc for around $400. Maybe the TG wheel issue has to do with those removable fenders.

Good luck on the chrome job and don't dare scrape an curbs after you get it done.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:02 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by carlo
Jim im scared to ask what a replacement wheel would cost. If you could get one.
Carlo,

Stock rear TG wheel P/N 83327-09 - Retail = $317.00 each, Chicago Harley wants $253.60 + shipping.

Stay safe out there!

Jim

Last edited by TheJimer; 07-01-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:02 AM
Road Warrior

Might try Zanotti over at www.zanottimotors.com . They are generally a bit lower than Chicago. I just purchased some TG trees over there. Another forum contributor put me onto Zanotti and they have some pretty good press out there on some other forum post concerning their prices. They are pretty good to deal with too.

Of course....if Harley don't have the wheels...all anybody can do is backorder them.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:44 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 1550vt
Might try Zanotti over at www.zanottimotors.com . They are generally a bit lower than Chicago. I just purchased some TG trees over there. Another forum contributor put me onto Zanotti and they have some pretty good press out there on some other forum post concerning their prices. They are pretty good to deal with too.

Of course....if Harley don't have the wheels...all anybody can do is backorder them.
I buy from both Zanotti and Chicago. The differnce I find is Zanotti is pricy on shipping vs Chicago who seems to charge actual shipping cost. On the flip side, if you want it quick then Zanotti is the place. If your in no hurry then Chicago, thats how I work between the 2.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:46 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim less then I thought. Would they put them on back order for you. I would like to get a set. Maybe powder coat them all Black or Anodized Black kinda like a Black Chrome. What about the center HD emblem is that a separate part ?

Old 07-03-2009, 10:37 AM
TheJimer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by carlo
Jim less then I thought. Would they put them on back order for you. I would like to get a set. Maybe powder coat them all Black or Anodized Black kinda like a Black Chrome. What about the center HD emblem is that a separate part ?
Carlo,

Yes they will accept the back order but I am told that there is no guarantee when they will come in. The rear wheel is presently on an “indefinite” back order status. Two different parts guys said that they have never saw this before; usually under the remarks section there is an estimated availability date!

The center piece is a separate item; unfortunately I do no know that part number or the availability status. I ordered a Chrome Wheel Center Kit P/N 83841-09 ($39.95) to replace the stock center hub. It gives a little bling to the stock wheel and will fit right in if I chrome the stockers!

Stay safe out there!!!!

Jim

Old 07-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Road Warrior
Default Tri-Glide Chrome Rear Wheel

I continue to think on this TG real wheel issue. I just can phathom having Harley and Lehman in total control of what wheels a person can have on their TG. I do not doubt your word that the TG has a 4 x 110 bolt pattern and have not poked around trying to disclaim that. Most Lehman conversions have had the 4 x 108 and that is awfully close to 4 x 110. Are you sure you have a 110 and not a 108? If they were a 108, it opens up a lot more possibilities. 4 x 108 (4 x 4.25) is a common Ford pattern.

I know it is painful for you to consider yanking your axles out on a new TG, but the hot-rod boys alter lug bolt patterns all the time. A good automotive machine shop can drill any bolt pattern you desired and drill the rotor hat to match as well. If you could find a set of wheels you like with the proper width and offset to work on the TG, I think I would price out a axle flange and rotor hat re-drill. Yanking the axles is not that difficult...BUT...you got that warranty thing to consider haven't you.

I have the luxury of having a machine out of warranty so I can experiment all I want to.

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Chrome Rear Wheel