Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Campers and Weight

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 05:38 AM
2D3K1H1B1HIM
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Campers and Weight

been thinking about a camper to pull just wondering about weight.Seems like a lot to pull @ 250-350 lbs.Any comments and what you pull ,running 06 SG stage 2....got a little more HP but not a 124".I weigh 190,wife 125...with gear and trailer i'm lookin at 700lbs...bike is about 740lbs...just seems like a lot of weight.Let me know anything you can as i'm looking now for something used,Kwik kamp/Bunkhouse,Aspen,Rollahome......Thanks.....Ride Safe

Old 06-18-2010, 06:48 AM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will know the camper is back there for sure.My max pull has been 300# total and it was work for the 96.Prolly 25% milage reduction.Gold wings seem to handle the campers weight a lot better.City riding, 2 up, pulling a camper,your right leg could melt right off of you.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:23 PM
etstrine
Tourer
Default Leesure-lite camper

I'm sure I'll get called for BS on this. In fact I almost feel like I should not post these numbers but here goes. I have been on two trip with my Leesure-Lite. Dry weight of the trailer is 255 lbs, per the manufacturers web site. With the storage containers, spare wheel, camping gear and extras that we bring, I imagine I am pulling around 400 lbs. I use a Kuryakyn hitch and my tongue weight is right around 40 to 45 lbs, depending on the way I load it. I use a 50 lb fish scale from WalMart to measure the weight of the tongue. Also, I still fill the tour pak and saddle bags to the brim. I weigh 185, my wife around 115. My drive train is bone stock and I have no problem pulling the camper. As the previous poster said, you will know it's back there, just as you do if you pull one with a truck or car, but you quickly get used to it.

Now for the hard to believe numbers. Traveling two up and loaded, without the trailer and on relatively flat land, I will get around 55 MPG. I don't hot rod and I keep it to 70 MPH max when the wife is on board. In the mountains I get around 43 to 45 with that set up.

Pulling the trailer, on relatively flat ground, my mileage does NOT change. In the mountains I do need to keep it in 4th gear more than usual and my mileage drops to around 35 MPG. No BS.

I wasn't sure if I would like pulling a trailer or camper, but after doing so I am hooked. Go to motocampers.com for a lot more info.

Attached Thumbnails Campers and Weight-dscn0177.jpg   Campers and Weight-dscn0194.jpg  
Old 06-19-2010, 10:39 AM
2D3K1H1B1HIM
Cruiser

Another question I did'nt ask........do you use anything to cool your camper like a small ac or swamp cooler....again thinking about ....MORE weight...Thanks

Old 06-19-2010, 02:06 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 666 Posts

We just got back from our first trip pulling my Aspen Classic camp trailer, so I'm still learning. Trailer, as loaded, was around 400#. Pulling it with my '00 SE Road Glide, 95", mild gear drive cams, bike itself not loaded down too heavy, me, 230#. Did around 300 miles, about 50% flat, straight roads and 50% twisty, steep mountain roads. My wife was riding her '05 FLHTI, 95" stage II kit.

First half of the trip I took it real easy, getting used to pulling the trailer, especially in the twisties. I could always tell it was back there, but it was never a problem. After I got more used to it, I went a little faster, but still somewhat slower than I do with an unloaded bike alone.

I got 40 mpg with my bike, the wife got 50 mpg with hers following me all the way.

We have been bike camping for years using a tent, with the bikes loaded down heavy with all our gear. After this first trip, I wish we had bought a trailer sooner. We have much more room in the camper than in a tent, and it's much more comfortable too. It sets up quick and easy, and packs quick and easy too. We carry less weight on the bikes this way, which I think is an improvement also.

I am retiring next year and we plan on a lot of traveling, probably spending several months at a time on the road. I think this trailer is going to be a huge improvement over a tent, especially on extended trips.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:58 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use little brakes,and rarely punch it from a stop and my mileage is mid thirties on the trike and the same on the Ultra.Must be just a lousy rider I guess.Keep those trailer posts coming in.Dead Hawg that was a helpful review.etsrine keep posting thanks again.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:02 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhawg
We just got back from our first trip pulling my Aspen Classic camp trailer, so I'm still learning. Trailer, as loaded, was around 400#. Pulling it with my '00 SE Road Glide, 95", mild gear drive cams, bike itself not loaded down too heavy, me, 230#. Did around 300 miles, about 50% flat, straight roads and 50% twisty, steep mountain roads. My wife was riding her '05 FLHTI, 95" stage II kit.

First half of the trip I took it real easy, getting used to pulling the trailer, especially in the twisties. I could always tell it was back there, but it was never a problem. After I got more used to it, I went a little faster, but still somewhat slower than I do with an unloaded bike alone.

I got 40 mpg with my bike, the wife got 50 mpg with hers following me all the way.

We have been bike camping for years using a tent, with the bikes loaded down heavy with all our gear. After this first trip, I wish we had bought a trailer sooner. We have much more room in the camper than in a tent, and it's much more comfortable too. It sets up quick and easy, and packs quick and easy too. We carry less weight on the bikes this way, which I think is an improvement also.

I am retiring next year and we plan on a lot of traveling, probably spending several months at a time on the road. I think this trailer is going to be a huge improvement over a tent, especially on extended trips.
My wifes idea of camping is a Holiday Inn.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:37 PM
2D3K1H1B1HIM
Cruiser

Thanks for all the info guys just never thought I'd look at pullin a trailer with the scoot....I guess after the first 500 or so miles it gets easier.Could any of you give me some help on choosing a camper ...still lookin so maybe why you chose what you got...what was your opinion and what features helped you decide on that camper. Thanks for any input.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:28 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by 2D3K1H1B1HIM
Thanks for all the info guys just never thought I'd look at pullin a trailer with the scoot....I guess after the first 500 or so miles it gets easier.Could any of you give me some help on choosing a camper ...still lookin so maybe why you chose what you got...what was your opinion and what features helped you decide on that camper. Thanks for any input.
We looked at a lot of different campers before we settled on the Aspen Classic. http://www.trailmasterinc.com/ One of the main selling points for us was the amount of storage space under the bed, which is accessable whether the camper is set up or folded down. We have only used it for one trip so far, but it seems to be well made, with sturdy construction. We are real happy with it, way more space than the rather large tent we used to use. They have three different models, different sizes.

Some friends have a Time out ttp://timeouttrailers.org/default.aspx camper which they really like, and we almost went with. The main advantage of the Time Out seems to be that it sets up completely off the ground. However, as we plan on travelling several months at a time once I retire, the extra storage capacity of the Aspen will be best for us.

Bunkhouse http://www.bf-specialties.com/ makes some nice campers too, similar to the Aspen in many ways.

What's best for us may be different than what's best for you, so check them all out before you decide. And, yes, it does get easier after a few hundred miles.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:30 PM
2D3K1H1B1HIM
Cruiser

Thanks Deadhog would love to see some models set up just dont have dealers close....Anybody with more info would be helpful...Oh yes pictures of what you got would be great thanks all.......Ride/Tow safe.....Dave

Quick Reply: Campers and Weight