Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Harley code on a hard left hand turn, w/sidecar

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 04:13 PM
turtleman57
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley code on a hard left hand turn, w/sidecar

While making a left hand turn from a dead stop, when I whip the rig around at a speed that is close to breaking the rear tire loose, the engine dies and if I remember right it shows a code ELP? I have to turn the ing. to off and the back on to restart the bike, can be a little dishearting in traffic............lol.

turtleman

Old 07-20-2010, 11:29 PM
nyarltep
Intermediate

Originally Posted by turtleman57
While making a left hand turn from a dead stop, when I whip the rig around at a speed that is close to breaking the rear tire loose, the engine dies and if I remember right it shows a code ELP? I have to turn the ing. to off and the back on to restart the bike, can be a little dishearting in traffic............lol.

turtleman
There is one left turn I take in town from a standing start, as the front end pops over some road imperfections I swear the rig almost drifts sideways. There are some fun times in turns for sure!

Old 07-21-2010, 04:58 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

turtleman
That's a pretty simple fix. Slow your speed down.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:39 AM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 420 Likes on 138 Posts

turtleman
I don't understand why it would kill the engine.. On my rig there's only one electrical (no mechanical connections) connection to the bike and that's the brake light. There's nothing else that would/could kill the engine. You're pulling extra weight with the rig, but it's no more than a good size rider, so it shouldn't affect the bike.

Bubba

Old 07-21-2010, 06:46 AM
turtleman57
Road Captain

Problem solved and fixed. Problem caused by a rollover switch that contains a rollover engine shutoff switch and a bank angle sensor harness. This is connected in between the motorcycle TSSM connector and the TSSM. Had to have the ECU reflashed for “sidecar” use. Fixed the problem right away, only cost me around $50, cheapest ticket ever from the service department….lol

Old 07-21-2010, 05:41 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Problem solved and fixed. Problem caused by a rollover switch that contains a rollover engine shutoff switch and a bank angle sensor harness. This is connected in between the motorcycle TSSM connector and the TSSM. Had to have the ECU reflashed for “sidecar” use. Fixed the problem right away, only cost me around $50, cheapest ticket ever from the service department….lol
Thats what I was going write bank angle sensor. Has to be addressed when installing a hack. As per instructions from HD in there service manual for my 06 RKC with TLE. Now do the same on a right turn and you might fly the Hack. Be carefull

Last edited by carlo; 07-21-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:44 PM
ORharley08
Stage IV
Default confused

hooking a side car to a 2008 harley road king there are many opinions about how and what to bolt up. I have a california sidecar friendship. Any help would be appriciated thanks Warren.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Road Toad
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Warren, follow the instructions that came with the hack and if you run into a problem check back in. One thing I remember is that the instructions said to drill through the bolt hole on the left side for the rear brace. That was not needed. Yours may be different.