Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Trike for my wife

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 08:42 AM
honkerdown
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trike for my wife

We are in the process of trading my wifes 2009 softail deluxe for a 2004 ultra classic that has an aftermarket trike body installed in 2008. Its not a bad deal $18,000 for it with only 30,000 miles, and they are giving us $14,900 for hers. I know some might think its crazy going backwards in years but she just isnt comfortable and a bit skittish on the 2 wheels. The trike has been kept in great shape not a scratch or blemish, motor runs and is very sound. The dealer even has all the maintaince records.

My question is this.... The trike has no reverse at this time so I was wondering is there any company that makes one for it. Would prefer if I could do and electric one just to keep things simple for her. Any and all thoughts would be great......

Don

Old 03-23-2011, 09:00 AM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

Don't know about electric, you would have to contact the trike kit manufacturer. Baker makes a manual one for that year. My wife has electric on her tri glide, hate it, will go baker when funds allow.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:46 PM
kentuckydave
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a Champion Reverse on the wife's Fatboy trike. Champion works off the main engine. I personally don't like electric because they are slow and hard on your battery.
You have to be careful with a reverse that works off the main engine but you can't get it into a place you can't back out of either. The Champion basically replaces the end cap of the transmission. It will only add about an inch to the length of the trans.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:37 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by honkerdown
We are in the process of trading my wifes 2009 softail deluxe for a 2004 ultra classic that has an aftermarket trike body installed in 2008. Its not a bad deal $18,000 for it with only 30,000 miles, and they are giving us $14,900 for hers. I know some might think its crazy going backwards in years but she just isnt comfortable and a bit skittish on the 2 wheels. The trike has been kept in great shape not a scratch or blemish, motor runs and is very sound. The dealer even has all the maintaince records.

My question is this.... The trike has no reverse at this time so I was wondering is there any company that makes one for it. Would prefer if I could do and electric one just to keep things simple for her. Any and all thoughts would be great......

Don
AIM has a pretty decent looking reverse, even has a shear key in case one forgets to take it out of reverse, don't think any other manufacturer offers that.
http://www.aim-tamachi.com/home.php?cat=73

Old 05-13-2011, 02:18 PM
shezaharley
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Champion trikes has a manual reverse; there is a risk of shifting into a forward gear while the manual shifter is still in reverse ... not a good thing http://championsidecars.com/products...ID=5&itemID=26 . Baker has a manual reverse that works differently and has a shift control that mounts on the handlebar; much more expensive though http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/f6r/index.htm . The only electric reverse I've found is Harley's and is a factory install. That said, I've been four years with no reverse. It's not hard to roll in neutral and you just have to pay attention when picking a parking spot.

Liz

Last edited by shezaharley; 05-13-2011 at 02:20 PM. Reason: add baker link & champion link
Old 05-13-2011, 03:39 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by sheaharley
Champion trikes has a manual reverse; there is a risk of shifting into a forward gear while the manual shifter is still in reverse ... not a good thing http://championsidecars.com/products...ID=5&itemID=26 . Baker has a manual reverse that works differently and has a shift control that mounts on the handlebar; much more expensive though http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/f6r/index.htm . The only electric reverse I've found is Harley's and is a factory install. That said, I've been four years with no reverse. It's not hard to roll in neutral and you just have to pay attention when picking a parking spot.

Liz

I have 40k miles on my Champion reverse gear setup and havent had one problem with it. Just have to remember to keep the bike in neutral while using reverse.