Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

My New Harbor freight Pull Behind Trailer!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Lifelong Biker
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My New Harbor freight Pull Behind Trailer!

Just put together this harbor freight trailer, cause the ol' lady brings too much *&%^# on road trips!!! Did some mods to it! Took first test ride, hardly knew it was back there. Trailer got great reviews on Harbor Freight web site. Here's some pics!

Attached Thumbnails My New Harbor freight Pull Behind Trailer!-harley-and-trailer-001.jpg   My New Harbor freight Pull Behind Trailer!-harley-and-trailer-008.jpg   My New Harbor freight Pull Behind Trailer!-harley-and-trailer-009.jpg   My New Harbor freight Pull Behind Trailer!-harley-and-trailer-010.jpg  
Old 03-29-2011, 07:29 PM
never say never
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that will get the job done i think it looks good to

Old 03-29-2011, 07:30 PM
Lifelong Biker
Tourer

Thanks "Never Say Never"! With this economy. this is all I could afford!!!!

Old 03-29-2011, 07:31 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks good. Did the box come with it?

Old 03-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Lifelong Biker
Tourer

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
Looks good. Did the box come with it?
Thanks! Came with cargo box. Cost was $399 and they accepted the 20% off coupon so it was $320 plus tax. Put L.E.D. bulbs, painted wheels black with chrome lugs, took 1 leaf off suspension, re-packed bearing, and put weather stripping, bringing total cost back to @$400

Plus bought hitch on Ebay and swivel ball on Ebay too. Wiring was simple 4 pin flat connector, tap in under seat!!! NO NEED to buy any special harness or isolators!!!!

Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I built the same one about 4 years ago for under $200 but with no cargo box or bed. I bought my car top carrier (one of the taller older models) at a yard sale.

Did you do the "flip the tongue" trick that gives you more distance from the hitch to the axle?

Also, once you get the frame perfectly square and bolted down, it doesn't hurt to find a friend with a welder to spot weld the joints.

I've had mine at interstate speeds (80+) for hours at a time and it pulls like a champ. Congrats on a great trailer for a little money.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:11 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifelong Biker
Thanks! Came with cargo box. Cost was $399 and they accepted the 20% off coupon so it was $320 plus tax. Put L.E.D. bulbs, painted wheels black with chrome lugs, took 1 leaf off suspension, re-packed bearing, and put weather stripping, bringing total cost back to @$400

Plus bought hitch on Ebay and swivel ball on Ebay too. Wiring was simple 4 pin flat connector, tap in under seat!!! NO NEED to buy any special harness or isolators!!!!
Not a bad looking investment! Ive seen some that just put the car carrier cargo box on there and I have to admit. It looks like their getting chased by a large Mac Muffin container. lol

This my set-up

zoood

Old 03-30-2011, 08:26 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Sharp looking trailer, you did a good job.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:34 AM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tibadoe
Sharp looking trailer, you did a good job.
You see that hatch in the top of the trailer's lid? I made that removable and to be stowed within the trailer. I pop that out and my full grown black lab rides in there!

Video

zoood

Old 03-30-2011, 08:43 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zoood
Not a bad looking investment! Ive seen some that just put the car carrier cargo box on there and I have to admit. It looks like their getting chased by a large Mac Muffin container. lol
That's me. But I have less than $300 tied up in the whole thing, hitch and all so I see a beauty in it that's not obvious to others.

PS: if I had a big honkin ad painted on the back of mine, I wouldn't be too critical of what others looked like.

Last edited by Sharknose; 03-30-2011 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply: My New Harbor freight Pull Behind Trailer!