Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Sidecars

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 10:20 PM
Toyman
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sidecars

Thanks to all for your replys.
This 1980 model HD sidecar has only been on the original 1980 FLH(?) Electra Glide. The friend that told me of it has this bike and knows where the original sidecar is that came off it. He did a nice restoration of the bike and it could also be purchased fairly reasonable but I just want the sidecar if it'll mount up to my 06 Ultra without to much hassel.
ORIGINAL: tsemclarney

Toyman, see your stealership parts guy and get a drawing of the mounting brackets.

I have a 1979 FLH with a sidecar and it would take a lot to mount it to my 2002FLHT.
I have a LE 1977 sidecar in 1979 they made the CLE sidecar different mount on rear. 1980 and the 5 speed FLT's used the RLE sidecar, only fit 1980 to 1985 FLT's

If you find out what he had it mounted on, and what mounts he has.

As for value I have seen them anywhere from $2000, to $4000

As for sidecars SUCKING just ask anybody, they will tell you they are hard to ride, suck gas, and track all over the road. Then ask some one with a sidecar if they suck. I would not sell my rig ever. but YES they do ride different then two wheels.

If you want any mounting drawings let me know.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:44 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it wasn't for my handicap, I probably wouldn't ride with a hack - never thought about one before, but I do enjoy it now. I don't carry anybody in it, mainly groceries (its great for that). I have plenty of power to pull it with my 06 RK Classic. Mine isn't a H-D hack, the H-D hack out-weighed the one I got considerably and costs about 2 grand more. My hack weighs in at about 200 lbs.

I've gotten used to it and can handle it pretty well. But, like most things, you've got to always respect it, because when you think you got it licked, it'll teach you a lesson.

Does the hack you're looking at have an outside frame or an inside frame? Mine is inside and that makes it handle good at higher speeds. 75-80 mph - no problem. Strong cross winds on the highway don't budge me, either. Gravel or wet roads - not even a challenge. A good welder could probably make you a frame to use to attach it to your bike or maybe a sidecar manufacturer could set you up. Mine came with a frame that is attached to the RK and then the hack is attached to it.

As others told you, with the hack on, it will definitely not handle anything like a two-wheeler. Its wierd at first, but after a while its okay. Don't plan to "snap" it on and "snap" it off. Too much aligning to do to get it to track right. If it is put on right, it will track right - mine does. As a matter of fact, when I took it to the H-D shop here in town to get it detailed, all the mechanics were telling me they were surprised at how well it tracked, no shimmy, no pulling left or right. Apparently, all of them took it for a spin.

What you have to watch out for is sudden stops and starts. On a sudden stop, the hack's momentum tries to throw it and the bike to the left. Sudden accelerations produce the opposite effect.

Billnourse, I think you may have been exposed to a hack that wasn't set up right and for that reason had your opinion swayed in a negative way. But mine definitely doesn't suck. Did you base your whole opinion on just one hack? Oh yea, my rear tire has 7,800 "hack" miles on it, its the Dunlop that came on the bike, and is just now starting to show some wear, so where did the 5,000 mile figure come from? Where in the world did you get your information? Have you ever riden with a hack? Probably not.

Bottom line - I'm glad that sidecars exist. I like mine.

Hack

Old 03-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should eat your word's for saying sidecars suck! My Grandpa rodemy family around in sidecars long before you were even born in 1946. Sidecars were a big part of alot of families including my own so before you say they suck get a clue. Just because you or your buddy can't get one to handle. Call me. I have been dealing with sidecars for years and have several customers with them who love them. If you say they don't have have power I can shoe you one that can float the front wheel on acceleration. Don't let your narrow perception on what you think you know "Billnourse" shade everyones percception. I have built sidecar fuel tanks and aditional lights for years.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:42 AM
hotpursuit
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: btefft

If it wasn't for my handicap, I probably wouldn't ride with a hack - never thought about one before, but I do enjoy it now. I don't carry anybody in it, mainly groceries (its great for that). I have plenty of power to pull it with my 06 RK Classic. Mine isn't a H-D hack, the H-D hack out-weighed the one I got considerably and costs about 2 grand more. My hack weighs in at about 200 lbs.

I've gotten used to it and can handle it pretty well. But, like most things, you've got to always respect it, because when you think you got it licked, it'll teach you a lesson.

Does the hack you're looking at have an outside frame or an inside frame? Mine is inside and that makes it handle good at higher speeds. 75-80 mph - no problem. Strong cross winds on the highway don't budge me, either. Gravel or wet roads - not even a challenge. A good welder could probably make you a frame to use to attach it to your bike or maybe a sidecar manufacturer could set you up. Mine came with a frame that is attached to the RK and then the hack is attached to it.

As others told you, with the hack on, it will definitely not handle anything like a two-wheeler. Its wierd at first, but after a while its okay. Don't plan to "snap" it on and "snap" it off. Too much aligning to do to get it to track right. If it is put on right, it will track right - mine does. As a matter of fact, when I took it to the H-D shop here in town to get it detailed, all the mechanics were telling me they were surprised at how well it tracked, no shimmy, no pulling left or right. Apparently, all of them took it for a spin.

What you have to watch out for is sudden stops and starts. On a sudden stop, the hack's momentum tries to throw it and the bike to the left. Sudden accelerations produce the opposite effect.

Billnourse, I think you may have been exposed to a hack that wasn't set up right and for that reason had your opinion swayed in a negative way. But mine definitely doesn't suck. Did you base your whole opinion on just one hack? Oh yea, my rear tire has 7,800 "hack" miles on it, its the Dunlop that came on the bike, and is just now starting to show some wear, so where did the 5,000 mile figure come from? Where in the world did you get your information? Have you ever riden with a hack? Probably not.

Hack
ohh yeahh almost forgot i could get a little over 5000 miles but that was inner city driving, not driving nice all the time, and a softer compound than the typical tires, heck some winters our harley mechanic would groove our tires for better snow traction and we still get over 5000... so yeah in a civilian world i can definately see higher milage... i will have one some day for my personal scoot.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:58 AM
Toyman
Tourer

hotpursuit, is this rock crawler in your avatar yours? Looks to be a very articulate. I'm into the Jeep thing with a 76 CJ-7 running 33"x 15.5" Super Swampers, 304 cu.inch., T-18. Would love to have it flex like this one. I also have a 69' J-3000 lifted on 35'sthat gets alot of attention everytime I drive it.I really get into the vintage stuff andthings just a little left of center like my 65 Servi-car so theprospect of asidecarseems tobe right up my alley.
ORIGINAL: hotpursuit

Toyman, see your stealership parts guy and get a drawing of the mounting brackets.

I have a 1979 FLH with a sidecar and it would take a lot to mount it to my 2002FLHT.
I have a LE 1977 sidecar in 1979 they made the CLE sidecar different mount on rear. 1980 and the 5 speed FLT's used the RLE sidecar, only fit 1980 to 1985 FLT's

As for sidecars SUCKING just ask anybody, they will tell you they are hard to ride, suck gas, and track all over the road. Then ask some one with a sidecar if they suck. I would not sell my rig ever. but YES they do ride different then two wheels.

i agree........
i rode with a side hack for 6 years from late fall to early summer.... they are a ton of fun..no they dont handle as a 2 wheels do but its fun when its snowing, gear up and go for a bike ride...mine never tracked... and i rode it 40 hours a week at work.........YOU JUST RIDE according to ur skill and bikes CAPABILITY side hack or not! get one... you will enjoy it...

Old 03-28-2007, 06:04 AM
Toyman
Tourer

Good looking ride you got there btefft! Can you post a larger picture of it? I'll be looking into this original 80 model hack to get more info. I may just end up with the numbers matching bike it was on originally.

Hack

Old 03-28-2007, 12:58 PM
hotpursuit
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Toyman

hotpursuit, is this rock crawler in your avatar yours? Looks to be a very articulate. I'm into the Jeep thing with a 76 CJ-7 running 33"x 15.5" Super Swampers, 304 cu.inch., T-18. Would love to have it flex like this one. I also have a 69' J-3000 lifted on 35's that gets alot of attention everytime I drive it. I really get into the vintage stuff and things just a little left of center like my 65 Servi-car so the prospect of a sidecar seems to be right up my alley.
ORIGINAL: hotpursuit

i agree........
i rode with a side hack for 6 years from late fall to early summer.... they are a ton of fun..no they dont handle as a 2 wheels do but its fun when its snowing, gear up and go for a bike ride...mine never tracked... and i rode it 40 hours a week at work.........YOU JUST RIDE according to ur skill and bikes CAPABILITY side hack or not! get one... you will enjoy it...
yeap as of right now it is still mine but it is for sale...competed nationally for 5 years, current rig is one season old, gettin out just for a few years, have to go to college due to my unforseen early retirement. buggy has a 350hp turbo charged 4 cyl eco-tech, powerglide tranny, atalas t case..upside down for nines (engine runs backwards) front and rear steer..... it was a ton of fun, gonaa mis it....

i want an old servi-car they are just cool post up some pics of it please...

Old 03-28-2007, 11:56 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyman, somewhere there is a topic I posted "For those who wanted to see more pics of my rig" or something like that. On it I posted some bigger pics.

Hack

Old 03-29-2007, 12:14 AM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They handle so differently that the state of Washington requires a special endorsement on your license.
Here's a link to my 3 wheeler pics. http://www.whatcomphotos.com/index.html

Old 03-29-2007, 08:43 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Hack
I am not in the habit of posting things thatI know nothing about, so yes, I have ridden a hack. I have a very good friend that has one because of a disability.

I have ridden it, changed tires on it, and done a host of other work to it. I have been on many rides with him, and covered thousands of miles riding with him since he got it. I know how underpowered it was before he relpaced the engine, and how he struggled to get up the mountains around here on it. I know how he struggles to just keep up on rides, and how hard it is to ride in the mountains or any other curves. I know that he has replaced the belt twice in the last 25,000 or 30,000miles, and how a broken belt with only 20,000 miles on itleft him stranded in Oklahoma City on the way to HD's 100th Anniversary. I know how we now stop for gas twice as often as we used to. Is that clue enough??

His is an EVO, and he had to get a new engine to have the power to pull him and his wife atInterstate speeds. He has had it aligned by several different mechanics, and it still eats a rear tire every 5,000 or less. He had to replace one on a trip we took to Billings, Mt. last summer, and we had just put a tire on it about 2,000 miles before we left. That is where I got the 5,000 mile figure. I sure didn't just pull it out of my azz.

An

Quick Reply: Sidecars