Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Sidecars

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 12:09 AM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Sidecars

It sure is apparent that you both are passionate about motorcycles. The included picture is of the only sidecar I've had the pleasure to ride in as my friend gave me a ride from my house to the shop to pick up that new Red Bike behind him. Bill, I was hoping you'd be close to us here in WA so he could maybe take a look at the align. I'm sure his setup does better than 5k.. But, in talking around about the issue, it almost seems like they were'nt built in our "Standardized" system, each rig seems to have it's own issues.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:29 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill,

I didn't mean to step on your toes. But, I still feel that your friend's hack is not set up right, something must be wrong All the things you described, belt replacements, broken belt, poor gas mileage, power problems, tire longevity, etc. are problems that I have not experienced. (Have any other hackers reading this had these problems?) Granted, I only have 7,900 miles on my hack, but truthfully, I have not had the problems you've described - and hope I won't.

I am wondering what size motor was in the under powered bike he had. My 88 CI doesn't have any problems. When I ride with the Southern Cruisers here in Ga, I have no problem staying with the group, none at all. And by myself I cruise at speeds between 65 and 75, occassionally hitting 80-85. But I have found that my best gas mileage is around 60. I just gased up tonight and am getting 35.6 mpg around town and I often hammer it just to hear it. No telling how good the mpg would be if I drove it "easy".

I'd like to meet with you, and especially your hacker friend, but with me here in Ga, you all out there, its probably never gonna happen.

Best Wishes
Hack

Old 03-30-2007, 03:38 AM
hotpursuit
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: btefft

Bill,

I didn't mean to step on your toes. But, I still feel that your friend's hack is not set up right, something must be wrong All the things you described, belt replacements, broken belt, poor gas mileage, power problems, tire longevity, etc. are problems that I have not experienced. (Have any other hackers reading this had these problems?) Granted, I only have 7,900 miles on my hack, but truthfully, I have not had the problems you've described - and hope I won't.

I am wondering what size motor was in the under powered bike he had. My 88 CI doesn't have any problems. When I ride with the Southern Cruisers here in Ga, I have no problem staying with the group, none at all. And by myself I cruise at speeds between 65 and 75, occassionally hitting 80-85. But I have found that my best gas mileage is around 60. I just gased up tonight and am getting 35.6 mpg around town and I often hammer it just to hear it. No telling how good the mpg would be if I drove it "easy".

I'd like to meet with you, and especially your hacker friend, but with me here in Ga, you all out there, its probably never gonna happen.

Best Wishes
Hack

i rode a fxrp back in 95 with the evo motor and a sidecar in the winter... i never broke a belt... in 4 years that i rode the fxrp...police compound tire (yes there softer) id get a smidge over 5000, my sgt got much better but i was hard on the bike.. ive done 100mph with the hack on....if he is having the problems you say... something has to be wrong.... i would try to find someone out there who REALLY knows them and have em check it out...

Old 03-30-2007, 08:39 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

ORIGINAL: btefft

Bill,

Best Wishes
Hack

You have 7,800 miles on a bike at sea level, and you come here telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about and implying that I have no experience with hacks. That does step on my toes.

I have been involved with his bike since he got the car, probably 40,000 or 50,000 miles ago and know what he has been through. He has changed gearing and numerous other things trying to get enough power for him and his wife. The engine finally solved most of the power problems, but he still can't keep up in the twisties, and his power is not great in the mountains.

This bike was set up by a HD tech originally, and has been re done by several other techs, both HD and Independent. His tire doesn't wear wierd or anything else that would indicate an alignment problem. It just wears out fast due to the load. According to most HD techs, 5,000 is about average for a sidecar.

You want to know the motor size, it was an 80 inch EVO with cam, pipes andSE air cleaner. Henow has a 100 inch Revtech and the power problem is solved for the most part but the mileage is about 25 or so.

Don't tell me about belts. HD even makes abelt designed especially for the sidecarto compensate for the added weight and stress on the belt. Anytime you add about half again as much weight to something, there is going to be more stress. Laws of physics.

I am amazed at your gas mileage. I have an 88 inch EG Classic and the best I get is about 50 on the highway. My wife has a 96 inch showroom stockStreet Glide and her best is the same. Wife had a 2001 88 inch Heritage and got 47. I had an 80 inch Road King and got about 45 to 50. Your 60 MPG with a 200+ lb. sidecar with the added drag of an extra tire and wind resistanceis truly amazing. No telling what you would get if you didn't have the car on.

Now, putting all the other factors aside, the handling alone would be a reason for the sidecar to suck. I have ridden my friend'sand know that it does not handle corners. I have ridden with him for many, manymiles and know how he fights the curves and how much effort is it when we ride where there are curves, which is a lot around here. If you are going to tell me that you can keep up in the curves with a hack on, or on a trike for that matter,you are just going to have to come and show me.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-30-2007, 11:02 AM
wldbill
Road Master

He didn't say he was getting 60mpg he said his best gas mileage was at 60mph.
Once more I, who know nothing about sidecars, will say that each one ends up being a different breed of animal with it's own problems. My buddy bought this rig from a friend who bought a new '03 Anniversary Edition' sidecar setup. They were never able to get the 03 to track and handle as good as this one.
Enjoy your bikes, enjoy the forum.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:21 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

ORIGINAL: wldbill

He didn't say he was getting 60mpg he said his best gas mileage was at 60mph.

Guess I read the mileage part different than others. It could go either way the way it was written. My mistake.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-30-2007, 06:31 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

Now Bill, calm down, all the numbers I gave , except when I said mpg pertained to speed. There were no two ways about it. wllbill got it. It appears that you were the only one that read it wrong. I've never heard of any one getting 60 mpg, have you? Were you thinking I was embellishing my story? I still feel that you have a bad opinion because of one hack. How many miles of riding do you have on that hack? I recall you did say you've been on it, right?

I've about had enough of this crap. What started as a simple question turned into something else. You think sidecars suck, fine, I think your opinion sucks.

Have a good day and ride safe.
Hack

Old 03-30-2007, 07:10 PM
wldbill
Road Master

Hey, Bob, isn't my buddies two tone brown a pretty lookin rig???

Old 03-30-2007, 07:52 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

wilbill, it sure is pretty. Where did he get the two-tone brown paint job? The hack looks like a HD hack, is it? I see he has his windshield on his hack. I took mine off, more aerodynamic. Does he tote anyone in the sidecar? I don't - except to give kids a ride now and then.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:58 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

billnourse, Fine, your grandpa could ride his horse up his own *** for all I care. I have several customers with sidecars who love them and your opinion is like your grandpa's horse's ***. Every one is entitled to his or her opinion and you lack of experience isobviously where yours is derived from.I have set up several sdiecars over the years and to this day they all get 10k on rear tires and handlefine.Your friend went with a junk Revetechengine that only added to the problems. You think you are getting 60 mph, yet you can't count. No bike without an intake leak gets that. I won't come on your ride because"IT" sucks. How's that. I haveseveral sidecars in my dealership that get excellent fuel economy and can run 80 mph down the highway that love them, so why don't you come over here. Chill out and respect those with a disability trying to enjoy the ride. We all are so impatient that if something doesn't do 120 and get us there in 5 minutes is junk. Enjoy the ride.

Quick Reply: Sidecars