Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Sidecars

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 12:14 AM
Toyman
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sidecars

I may have the opportunity to purchase a HD 1980 sidecar from a friend of a friend whom has done nothing with it since 1985.
I have two questions;
Will it bolt up to my 06 Ultra?
What it is it worth in fair-good condition?

The following users liked this post:
rockher_man (12-12-2020)
Old 03-27-2007, 12:37 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: Sidecars

Sidecars SUCK. I have a friend with one because he can't ride otherwise. They make the bike where it will not handle at all. You will probably need engine work to to get enough power to pull it right, and you will go through a rear tire at least every 5,000 miles.

Don't know if it will bolt onto the 2006 or not, and don't know what the going price might be.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-27-2007, 01:30 AM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to get it to work with your Ultra. Find a dealer savvy about sidecars and bend his ear a little.

I can't answer the value question, but I do know Harley only recommends the touring bikes for their sidecars. You will use up your tires faster and your gas mileage will suffer, but that doesn't seem to stop anyone from buying SUVs, and sidehacks are way cooler.

Try googling 'sidecars'.

rockher_man (12-12-2020)
Old 03-27-2007, 10:04 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

ORIGINAL: billnourse

Sidecars SUCK. I have a friend with one because he can't ride otherwise. They make the bike where it will not handle at all. You will probably need engine work to to get enough power to pull it right, and you will go through a rear tire at least every 5,000 miles.
Bill
There are ways to make it handle better....change out the tripple trees(6 degree I think)and learn how to drive it.
You are right about the power.With a stock TC88 or stage one,it will be WFO on hills when loaded.
Also,plan on stopping at the pump more often than your bubbies on two wheels!

rockher_man (08-15-2021)
Old 03-27-2007, 01:51 PM
sidecar79
Advanced

Toyman, see your stealership parts guy and get a drawing of the mounting brackets.

I have a 1979 FLH with a sidecar and it would take a lot to mount it to my 2002FLHT.
I have a LE 1977 sidecar in 1979 they made the CLE sidecar different mount on rear. 1980 and the 5 speed FLT's used the RLE sidecar, only fit 1980 to 1985 FLT's

If you find out what he had it mounted on, and what mounts he has.

As for value I have seen them anywhere from $2000, to $4000

As for sidecars SUCKING just ask anybody, they will tell you they are hard to ride, suck gas, and track all over the road. Then ask some one with a sidecar if they suck. I would not sell my rig ever. but YES they do ride different then two wheels.

If you want any mounting drawings let me know.

chromepony (11-09-2017)
Old 03-27-2007, 01:51 PM
wrustywrench
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one of the Ural russian POS,, it has a sidecar, handles decent, but you dont ride it like a normal bike,

as for power, its a 750 and moves along nicely, not fast,, but good enough.
a 88 tc will move one very good

Old 03-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Gummiente
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: wrustywrench

I have one of the Ural russian POS,, it has a sidecar, handles decent, but you dont ride it like a normal bike
Amen to that. I take my '05 Ural Tourist places I would never dream of attempting with my Road Glide.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:52 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The frames are different, you might not be able to make it work. Try a dealer that's a fan of sidehacks, the one I can think of is Schrefflers in Manteno IL.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

ORIGINAL: Toyman

I may have the opportunity to purchase a HD 1980 sidecar from a friend of a friend whom has done nothing with it since 1985.
I have two questions;
Will it bolt up to my 06 Ultra?
What it is it worth in fair-good condition?
Here is my .02 on your questions:

1) Will it bolt up to my 06 Ultra? - Most likely not. Too many changes to the frames since then. This is not to say it couldn't be made to work, but I doubt it will just bolt up.

2) What it is it worth in fair-good condition? - Not sure in your area, but there was one for sale locally in Portland. The shop wanted $1800 for it. If I remember right it was a mid eighties vintage.

Just for the record, side cars are cool in my book.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:47 PM
hotpursuit
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: tsemclarney

Toyman, see your stealership parts guy and get a drawing of the mounting brackets.

I have a 1979 FLH with a sidecar and it would take a lot to mount it to my 2002FLHT.
I have a LE 1977 sidecar in 1979 they made the CLE sidecar different mount on rear. 1980 and the 5 speed FLT's used the RLE sidecar, only fit 1980 to 1985 FLT's

If you find out what he had it mounted on, and what mounts he has.

As for value I have seen them anywhere from $2000, to $4000

As for sidecars SUCKING just ask anybody, they will tell you they are hard to ride, suck gas, and track all over the road. Then ask some one with a sidecar if they suck. I would not sell my rig ever. but YES they do ride different then two wheels.

If you want any mounting drawings let me know.

i agree........
i rode with a side hack for 6 years from late fall to early summer.... they are a ton of fun..no they dont handle as a 2 wheels do but its fun when its snowing, gear up and go for a bike ride...mine never tracked... and i rode it 40 hours a week at work.........YOU JUST RIDE according to ur skill and bikes CAPABILITY side hack or not! get one... you will enjoy it...

Quick Reply: Sidecars