Hacked, Conversions and Trailering "Harley Sidecar, Conversion Trikes and Motorcycle Pull Behind Trailering Enthusiasts" A forum for the discussion of your sidecar, Conversion Trike or Pull Behind Motorcycle Trailer.

Roadglide Trike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 08:35 AM
Harley hopeful
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roadglide Trike?

I am thinking of triking my Roadglide. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2011 FLTRU.
Want some experiences on independent suspension or solid axle. Any brand recommendations or ones to stay away from.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:43 AM
hog.ryder
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Having never rode a rear independent suspension trike I can't comment on them, but my wife rides a Motor Trike converted Ultra Classic with a solid axle and has no problems with cornering or the overall ride.

Last edited by hog.ryder; 07-29-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:46 AM
PIGGI
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might get better info over at www.triketalk.com

Old 07-29-2014, 08:51 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

here is some photos and links to check out.
https://www.google.com/search?q=harl...=1920&bih=1010

There has been a lot of improvements with trikes through the years.
Depending on what look you want. I would go with a IRS rear, better handling and ride.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:05 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

I test rode 2 solid trikes and 3 IRS trikes before I converted my HD and by far the IRS was the better ride. There is really not much noticeable difference in handling, but the IRS was a lot smoother especially on less than ideal roads. The solids were a Triglide and a Lehman conversion. The IRS trikes were a Champion, a CSC, and a Roadsmith. The CSC was the smoothest and easiest handling of the bunch but I couldn't get past the overall length of it. I ended up going with a Champion with IRS. There are many really quality conversions available and you can't really go wrong with any of them as long as you stick with one of the major players. Those that I mentioned are all good. Throw in a Hannigan, DFT, and MotorTrike and you have all of them that I would consider. I don't really care for the outrigger type conversions, but that's me. Others think they are fine. I would avoid getting pieces parts and assembling a DIY on your own . Get a kit from a reputable manufacturer. Not all manufacturers have dealers close to where ever you live. That was a factor in my decision. I wanted something that had a close by dealer. I didn't want to travel a 100 miles or more if I had a problem. If I had it to do over again, I would with no regrets. It took a while to get the hang of the handling on a trike, but once I got that down, I'm glad I did it.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:21 PM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I am really liking the new Hannigan flh IRS kit....would be my choice for a Road Glide and the best flh to trike...

Old 08-04-2014, 08:10 AM
Harley hopeful
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I need to ask one more question... for now. Who lets you test drive their trikes? I sat on a triglide in the Harley showroom but have no idea who would let me ride their bikes. I Don't think the triglide will be a good fit for me but I am interested in giving it a try. The other thing is Harley will finance a triglide and I will have to find financing for the conversion. The other thing is that the extended warranty on the Roadglide will be in question with the conversion.
looking forward to your replies.
William.. BTW I live in Chesterfield, Virginia.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:54 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by PIGGI
Might get better info over at www.triketalk.com

Pretty much the same people over there that hang around here.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:31 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley hopeful
Thanks for the info. I need to ask one more question... for now. Who lets you test drive their trikes? I sat on a triglide in the Harley showroom but have no idea who would let me ride their bikes. I Don't think the triglide will be a good fit for me but I am interested in giving it a try. The other thing is Harley will finance a triglide and I will have to find financing for the conversion. The other thing is that the extended warranty on the Roadglide will be in question with the conversion.
looking forward to your replies.
William.. BTW I live in Chesterfield, Virginia.
I visited the various conversion dealers in my area. They either let me ride one of their bikes or set me up with an owner that let me give it a spin. The Lehman dealer is also a Harley dealer, so that's where I did the Lehman and Triglide demos. I can't help you with the financing or the warranty. I don't have a warranty and I had the $$$ for the conversion and didn't finance it.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:48 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Most trike shops will let you take a test ride. We have a dealer close by in Madison, AL that keeps trikes on hand. Tony's trikes. Do a Google search to find a dealer close to you. I personally prefer a trike shop. You will get a warranty for the conversion.

Quick Reply: Roadglide Trike?