Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Harley-Davidson Street (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/harley-davidson-street-186/)
-   -   All Street 500/750 Have Defective Fuel Pumps (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/harley-davidson-street/1060597-all-street-500-750-have-defective-fuel-pumps.html)

GangsterBeagle 07-20-2015 01:47 PM

All Street 500/750 Have Defective Fuel Pumps

The manager at my dealership told me it is a problem with a clip that sits at the bottom of the pump. It holds a rubber grommet in place, but it is poorly designed and it sticks out just a little bit, the pump sits off to the side, so they are thinking that if you put the gas pump all the way in it is hitting that clip and bending it, which then damages the grommet; letting air in.

A new pump is supposedly being designed, so they same bad pump model has been put in my bike again.

All owners need to NOT put the gas pump all the way in. I am also concerned with this clip holding up on long rides.

Melman 07-20-2015 02:32 PM

I'm looking a the 750 for my wife and trying to find out as much as possible about this bike. Most reviews are "first rides" or "first impression" BS that is biased based on advertising dollars the test bike manufacture spends. (Just soap boxing that bit of info...no facts to back it!) Anyways, good to hear info like this and if anyone has a website or place I can go to find real info about this bike, please share.

Bwelsh 07-20-2015 03:50 PM

Www.hdstreetforums.com

For what it's worth, the wife and I love her 750.

lh4x4 07-20-2015 06:26 PM

My 750 had the fuel starvation when the low fuel light came on but never before. The dealer did the check and it showed full pressure. There was also a download update.

The problem was not corrected. HD authorized the new redesigned pump installation and it was installed last week. Works perfect. Seems to have a little more scoot. The fuel pressure must be better in the redesigned pump. Most of the ones my dealer did were corrected with the fitting check and pressure test with the download. HD said only a few needed the new pump. One of them was in their test fleet.

I never stick the fuel nozzle in past the opening in any bike. I just keep it in contact with the side to ground any static electricity.

I'm ready to run it to Sturgis in a little over a week. I am more than pleased with it's handling,comfort and performance.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...psdqacqvi7.jpg

dickey 11-30-2015 11:06 PM

They also have defective LOOKS.

cvaria 12-02-2015 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by dickey (Post 14622877)
They also have defective LOOKS.

tough talk from a guy with a chromed out marshmallow

80ci 12-07-2017 10:04 AM

chromed out marshmallow! HA ha ha thats good

modular 12-07-2017 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by cvaria (Post 14628010)
tough talk from a guy with a chromed out marshmallow

Through most of his posts I have found his screen name is fitting. But hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

smitty901 12-07-2017 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Melman (Post 14225170)
I'm looking a the 750 for my wife and trying to find out as much as possible about this bike. Most reviews are "first rides" or "first impression" BS that is biased based on advertising dollars the test bike manufacture spends. (Just soap boxing that bit of info...no facts to back it!) Anyways, good to hear info like this and if anyone has a website or place I can go to find real info about this bike, please share.

I have a 750 Street. It is nothing like any Harley you owned. It serves me for why I purchased it. If I were buying one today it would be the 750 Street Rod over the Street.
The Street has not been a problem ,just the Street Rod offers much more.

nollid51 12-14-2017 03:26 PM

I've had an occasional issue when I get about to 50 miles on a tank, the fuel will sometimes shut off. There is still about a gallon and a half left in the tank, at least. It seems when the fuel gets this low, combined with hard acceleration or an incline, will cause the fuel to cut off. This thread makes me think it must be the fuel pump.

Danish Infantry Vet 05-31-2018 05:35 AM

Hi Guys.
Martin from Denmark here.
The pump on my '16 FLTRU just failed 5 days ago. (Had the bike hauled to the Dealer as I didn't know what the issue was and had the roadside assistance coverage)

The Freakin' pump is even on backorder at the central European H-D centre in Belgium, so I might be Bike-less for weeks :-(
This REALLY sucks as we generally only have about 6 months reasonable ridin' weather, and for the past month we're having the best spring weather in 50 yrs with no sign of it stoppng.

Did anyone ever find out if the Bosch pump fit? (If so I might just get one right now to get on the Road.)

FatBob2018 05-31-2018 11:36 AM

This is the wrong forum for your question; this forum is for the Street 750 and Street 500 bikes. You should ask your question in the touring bike forum, they should be able to answer your questions.

lh4x4 06-01-2018 12:24 AM

Since this old thread was reopened I will use it to report the 2,000 mile trip to the 75th Sturgis at 75 mph on a 750 Street stopping at a DQ (their 75th also) going over 750 in a day (861) and it was my 75th year. The Street 750 performed like a dream. Comfortable, tracked well, handled the speed well and got 50 to 55 mpg with my 210 lb 6'3" body and 45 lb gear load.

Clavinavi 06-08-2018 06:58 PM

Lh4x4 you are a bad***!

smitty901 06-10-2018 05:56 AM

The Early Streets had a fuel pump issue HD issued letter on it and fixed it. No one I know of has had an issue sense . If you are a Bad ass image biker type the Street is not for you. It is a total different bike than any HD you have ever encountered. It sounds different both exhaust and engine. It feels almost like a toy when you get on one. Not as fats as many of the Sport bikes but the thing will run. It has an 8-10,000 rpm range depending on the version Street or Street rod. One I have was picked up for no other reason than I could. 323 miles on it and priced to move.
It has proven fun to ride and reliable . It now has a sidecar one it. And it handles it better than the EVO it was on. If you want a smaller light Urban bike to run around on , park it for get it go out hit the key and ride it not a bad bike. The Street Rod versions I have seen have turned into so pretty hot running bikes for those after that.
If you have an early Street check to see if it was listed under the recall and if it had the service done.
I know you can not put a sidecar on a Street 750, Had a dealer tell me that, I brought it over and let him try it he was shocked.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/H4cwY4]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4552/...f30ed849_b.jpg

firehawk6 06-11-2018 07:54 AM

It was my understanding it was a fuel pickup line location causing the problem in early Streets. If the tank wasn't full when accelerating from a stop the fuel would slosh to the rear of the tank away from the pickup tube and the bike would stall. When the bike stalled the fuel would slosh to back to where the pick up tube was and the bike would suddenly accelerate since it would happen so quick the rider still would have the throttle open. Apparently it was a rather scary/dangerous issue, I know a few on the Street Forum were trying to get the NTSA to force HD to issue a recall. I didn't end up buying a Street so I stopped following the issue.

DocC3 07-10-2018 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by firehawk6 (Post 17427403)
It was my understanding it was a fuel pickup line location causing the problem in early Streets. If the tank wasn't full when accelerating from a stop the fuel would slosh to the rear of the tank away from the pickup tube and the bike would stall. When the bike stalled the fuel would slosh to back to where the pick up tube was and the bike would suddenly accelerate since it would happen so quick the rider still would have the throttle open. Apparently it was a rather scary/dangerous issue, I know a few on the Street Forum were trying to get the NTSA to force HD to issue a recall. I didn't end up buying a Street so I stopped following the issue.

I had a early 2015 Street 750 and experienced the problem described above once after driving several miles after the fuel light came on. Soon after that I received a letter from HD advising to fill the tank every 100 miles and make an appointment with the dealer to have a new fuel pump installed. I traded the Street for a Sportster at the end of year. However, I really liked the Street and wouldn't hesitate recommending it now that it has several years of development.