Street exhaust options

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 11:54 AM
LN2_Casey
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Street exhaust options

Hey all,

I just got my Harley XG500, and man, do I need to change out the exhaust pipes. It sounds like a Sewing machine; not something I want my Harley to sound like, haha.

But what exhaust options are out there? I'm in California, so street-legal options are very limited. Of course, for the right pipes I'll just drive carefully and not get pulled over. I've heard the HD Screaming Eagle slips, and I don't like them as well as others.

I'm also wanting to possibly swap out the entire exhaust. Can the XG series swap with any other HD stock pipes? I'm not wanting to spend 1k on a new set, I'd much rather be thrifty and snag an old stock set off craigslist from someone who dropped 1k on a custom set for their Street Glide or whatever. Is this possible?

The following users liked this post:
Missexeccph (12-17-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 01:48 PM
Hellbilly562
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13,166 Likes on 5,400 Posts

Originally Posted by LN2_Casey
Hey all,

I just got my Harley XG500, and man, do I need to change out the exhaust pipes. It sounds like a Sewing machine; not something I want my Harley to sound like, haha.

But what exhaust options are out there? I'm in California, so street-legal options are very limited. Of course, for the right pipes I'll just drive carefully and not get pulled over. I've heard the HD Screaming Eagle slips, and I don't like them as well as others.

I'm also wanting to possibly swap out the entire exhaust. Can the XG series swap with any other HD stock pipes? I'm not wanting to spend 1k on a new set, I'd much rather be thrifty and snag an old stock set off craigslist from someone who dropped 1k on a custom set for their Street Glide or whatever. Is this possible?

Try Firebrand...they're right here in SOCAL....I got those for my wife and I tell ya, it woke that bike up....not too loud...just right....

Missexeccph (12-17-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 04:40 PM
LN2_Casey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hellbilly562
Try Firebrand...they're right here in SOCAL....I got those for my wife and I tell ya, it woke that bike up....not too loud...just right....

I looked up the Firebrand, and I don't particularly want a slip on muffler. I want to raise my exhaust up a bit, to prevent the infamous scraping I've heard the Street 500's tend to do.

Do you know if we can swap the system with anything else?

Old 12-12-2016, 07:22 AM
Ceddie
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hellbilly562
when you say 'not too loud' how much more volume are we talking? I can't hear the street over about 25 MPH when I'm on the bike and I can't here it at all when my wife is riding next to me and I'm on my dyna.

then again... my H&V straights shots are in the 'not too loud' area for me.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:16 PM
LN2_Casey
Intermediate

I don't particularly want 'loud' pipes; I just want it to sound nice. A good, low rumble. I have a 1970 Firebird with Flow Master's on, and it has a great low key rumble, and I would like my Bike to match it better than my Singer.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:16 PM
Ceddie
Advanced

I went ahead and ordered the firebrand loose cannon and baffle. if we need to, the baffle can sit in the shop as 'modern art'.

Old 12-13-2016, 04:24 PM
LN2_Casey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ceddie
I went ahead and ordered the firebrand loose cannon and baffle. if we need to, the baffle can sit in the shop as 'modern art'.
Let me know how they work out for you.

Old 12-14-2016, 10:33 AM
Ceddie
Advanced

I'll try to get audio before and after to get comparison. also some pics to compare length.

I ordered yesterday afternoon about 13:00est. Revzilla has them slated for delivery tomorrow by UPS. that is with the free, standard shipping.

Missexeccph (12-17-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 03:15 PM
Ceddie
Advanced

It took about a 1/2 hour to swap the pipes and most of that was sorting out the correct wrenches. while I didn't get video, I did get before/after pics and it looks great. the sound without the baffle is amazing compared to the stock set up. The loose cannon mikes the bike (IMO) much safer to drive because now you can be heard. It is no where near the volume of my dyna but it is louder than out shadow. I t also has a much throatier rumble in stead of sounding like a weed whacker or leaf blower.

here is the stock (beat to heck) pipe

here is the loose cannon

here are the two side by side with the obligatory foot in the shot as well as my dog's supervisory feet

Last edited by Ceddie; 12-19-2016 at 09:59 AM. Reason: to add pics
Old 12-17-2016, 05:44 PM
Missexeccph
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Question Is it possible to upload audio file?

Originally Posted by Ceddie
It took about a 1/2 hour to swap the pipes and most of that was sorting out the correct wrenches. while I didn't get video, I did get before/after pics and it looks great. the sound without the baffle is amazing compared to the stock set up. The loose cannon mikes the bike (IMO) much safer to drive because now you can be heard. It is no where near the volume of my dyna but it is louder than out shadow. I t also has a much throatier rumble in stead of sounding like a weed whacker or leaf blower.
I'll post up the pics in a bit.
Is it possible to upload an audio? I too am looking into the "Harley sound" which seems a bit distorted on the standard Street model.

Quick Reply: Street exhaust options