Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

Our 750 modification thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 04:24 AM
MoRider
Tourer
Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts

After you put the exhaust and new breather on did you get the bike re-mapped ?

Old 01-17-2017, 09:18 AM
Ceddie
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nope, no re-mapping. From everything I have seen the O2 sensor will re-calibrate on it's own after about 20-30 miles. It did run a little choppy for about 45 minutes after the swap but it smoothed out and we are getting about 45-50 miles per gal with much better performance.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:23 AM
Ceddie
Advanced

This weekend, we swapped the grill with an aluminum screen from Stonefree manufacturing. also put some front axle nut covers on.
I'll add pic of the grill when they are uploaded but it looks good and makes the size of the road junk that can get to the radiator cover much smaller. we have occasion to ride on dirt and chip roads so while not necessary, it is a nice bit of protection.

EDIT: here is the pic of the grill as well as the new axle nut cover

Last edited by Ceddie; 01-25-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:40 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Great job with the 750. Makes a very versatile bike.

Who knows but maybe their is someone out there that would like the purple stuff.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:42 AM
Kwayz
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It looks like you guys have made a few more modifications than we have, but we had some similar ideas.

My wife had new bars installed on her 2015. The stock bars were too low for her. It required a longer clutch cable. They were able to reuse the throttle cables. They should have lengthened the wires for the front brake light switch, and they did not. As a result, the wires kept pulling off and we ended up splicing in a section to lengthen the wires.

She added a "bolt to the handlebars" type windshield which helped cut down the wind a great deal. It was much less expensive than the Harley windshield and did not require removal of the headlight nacelle.

We added a set of Viking Bags. We also added an engine guard and highway pegs. We modified the mounting adapters for a set of Kuryakyn mini-boards to replace the pegs. (It was a royal pain to put those mini-boards on and took a bit of time to figure out how to make them fit, but she likes them much better than the pegs). We also modified a brake pedal cover and added it, both to make it look better and to raise the top of the pedal up some (like some others have noticed, the pedal is a good bit lower than a typical H-D brake pedal.) And the mirrors, of course, were replaced, so now you can actually see what is behind you.

I think she still slightly prefers her Heritage, but she really enjoys the 750.

Last edited by Kwayz; 01-24-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:52 AM
Ceddie
Advanced

I'l love to see some pics of the attachment for the mini boards! (Edit to ask) do the mini board decrease her lean at all?

the red looks really good

Last edited by Ceddie; 01-24-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:41 PM
Kwayz
Cruiser

I'll try to get some pics of it. The ones I have taken don't really show them up close.

The left side went right on, no problem. Since the mini-board's mount can be adjusted to match the angle of the original peg, it was a simple remove/replace.

The right side was the issue. We took parts from another set of after-market boards, then shimmed that with large flat washers to get the spacing far enough out to clear the exhaust and the rear brake pedal lever. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have gone about it a different way, but it worked and my wife was happy with it and basically told me to leave it alone an let her get back to riding! lol

What I think would probably work much better is a chrome spacer that will fit between the mini-board mount and the mini-board, and a longer bolt to attach it with. I think it needs to be somewhere around an inch longer than the normal mounting will clear. (I think that the longer bolt would probably need to be a very strong, high grade bolt to handle the extra stress that the longer mount's leverage would create.)

So far it is working out pretty well, so I won't try to "fix it" unless it breaks. lol

Old 01-24-2017, 12:53 PM
Ceddie
Advanced

Far out. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the right side is mounted. My wife really likes the feel of the boards on our Shadow. I'm slowly replacing a lot of stress bolts on all our bikes with Stainless button head bolts (mostly from Ace hardware) and they are pretty stout... not Grade 8 but better than the stock.

Try an old socket for a spacer, they work gonzo in a pinch!

Old 01-24-2017, 03:34 PM
Snowdonia Rider
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Kwayz, what brand is that screen? Looks like a good fit.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:31 AM
Kwayz
Cruiser

Ceddie, I'll try to get some photos tonight if nothing distracts me again. It has been a little hectic lately and I keep forgetting to snap some pics.

Quick Reply: Our 750 modification thread