Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

In the am I am headed to Vegas/Laughlin River Run on the Street Rod.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:23 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts
Default In the am I am headed to Vegas/Laughlin River Run on the Street Rod.

The Firebrand slip on came in today and mounted. The throw over bags are loaded, gassed up, 1K done, tire pressure checked, documents onboard. Here I go.

I will be making sweet sounds all the way. Hope I don't get a ticket.

At 76 and 6'3" I love trying things that others would not even think of. It will be just over 4K miles. The RG CVO Ultra will just have to wait for its turn. The Street Rod needs a good run.

The following users liked this post:
Rebel750 (04-26-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 10:15 PM
AKC
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Safe journey...

Old 04-26-2017, 12:48 AM
Clavinavi
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Be Safe Brother! Get in the Wind!

Old 04-26-2017, 07:02 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Travel Safe Larry. Have fun but be careful.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:24 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,371 Likes on 2,947 Posts

Ride safe!

Old 04-26-2017, 08:09 PM
Rebel750
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck. Sounds like an amazing trip.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:40 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

DNF!!!

Got to Hannibal Mo. and was pulling off I-72 to gas up. As I pulled off the exit ramp the engine died. Coasted to the BP station just off the exit ramp. The engine would not relight.

Checked all the fuses and they were okay. Every thing electrical worked. Just no fire to the plugs. I pulled the main fuse to see if the EMC would reset. It fired immediately but would only run for 20 seconds. I suspected that was the time frame that the EMC checked on whatever parameter that was the issue.

It was raining the from the start and was going to rain through to Arkansas and Texas where I usually end the first day just after crossing into Texas from Ark.

As far as the ride was going there was a brutal west wind and even on the typical rough Illinois roads the bike was tracking like it was a slot car. I was very comfortable in the stock seat. I had the right number and type of layers that the rain and cold was of no concern. I had checked the forecasts along the route and had added some apparel items. With just throw over bags I had to ditch the laptop for them. If the motel of opportunity that I would have ended the day with did not have a guest computer set up I would have went into withdrawal as I don't have a smart phone just a GED one.

It was 50 miles to the H-D dealer. I realized that even if they could/would come get the bike that I would have lost the time needed to reach Vegas by Friday evening. So I called my wife to bring Big Red and rescue me.

The van in the background is "Big Red" it is Transit T150 with a wheel chock, ramps, tie downs and an electric winch for an easy one man loading.
Name:  014_zps1sqyjfnr.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  81.4 KB

Took the Street Rod to the dealer today. They also contacted H-D Tech center as H-D has requested to be notified of any Street Rod issue.

Will check tomorrow to see what's up with it.

I will do the ride when it's ready as the main reason is to visit my son in Vegas and not so much the rally.

Last edited by lh4x4; 04-27-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:58 PM
AKC
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Bummers! At least you weren't in the middle-of-bf-nowhere...

Let us know the outcome...

Old 04-28-2017, 07:08 AM
thndrchiken
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks, well I hope they get you sorted out and back on the road asap!!!, ride safe and get there in one piece. I will be doing my first somewhat longer trip on my Street 750, it's only about 150 each way but that will be my longest ride to date with it. Then Next week on take it into the dealer for the 1k service, while there have them tune it for the K&N and V&H muffler.

Last edited by thndrchiken; 04-28-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:28 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Larry,

Given the battery (?) failure on the previous Street and now this; is your confidence or opinion of the line shaken at all? I get it that everything mechanical is going to fail sooner or later but you have a number of "traditional" Harleys, that to my knowledge", have never put you afoot.

Originally Posted by lh4x4
DNF!!!

Got to Hannibal Mo. and was pulling off I-72 to gas up. As I pulled off the exit ramp the engine died. Coasted to the BP station just off the exit ramp. The engine would not relight.

Checked all the fuses and they were okay. Every thing electrical worked. Just no fire to the plugs. I pulled the main fuse to see if the EMC would reset. It fired immediately but would only run for 20 seconds. I suspected that was the time frame that the EMC checked on whatever parameter that was the issue.

It was raining the from the start and was going to rain through to Arkansas and Texas where I usually end the first day just after crossing into Texas from Ark.

As far as the ride was going there was a brutal west wind and even on the typical rough Illinois roads the bike was tracking like it was a slot car. I was very comfortable in the stock seat. I had the right number and type of layers that the rain and cold was of no concern. I had checked the forecasts along the route and had added some apparel items. With just throw over bags I had to ditch the laptop for them. If the motel of opportunity that I would have ended the day with did not have a guest computer set up I would have went into withdrawal as I don't have a smart phone just a GED one.

It was 50 miles to the H-D dealer. I realized that even if they could/would come get the bike that I would have lost the time needed to reach Vegas by Friday evening. So I called my wife to bring Big Red and rescue me.

The van in the background is "Big Red" it is Transit T150 with a wheel chock, ramps, tie downs and an electric winch for an easy one man loading.

Took the Street Rod to the dealer today. They also contacted H-D Tech center as H-D has requested to be notified of any Street Rod issue.

Will check tomorrow to see what's up with it.

I will do the ride when it's ready as the main reason is to visit my son in Vegas and not so much the rally.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: In the am I am headed to Vegas/Laughlin River Run on the Street Rod.