Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

Street Rod small review

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 02:14 PM
Roorat60
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleynewb
When I was looking to purchase a new Harley,I wasn't really sure about the Street 750. So when I was browsing bikes,I looked at the Street 750 and a Street Rod 750. I sat on a Street 750 first and liked it,except the rear brake pedal. When I noticed a sportier looking bike I checked it out and it was a SR 750. It hadn't been setup yet,but I sat on it and knew right away that it wasn't gonna be comfortable for my 5'9" frame. Other than that I think it's a real competitor for some of the Jap bikes like the Kawi 650R as far as performance and maybe handling. But that's just a guess because I didn't get to ride it. But for sure I know that if I decided to get the SR 750 I would have the same leg and hip cramps while riding my Kawi 650R and that's what I wanted to get away from. So I decided on the Street 750 and yes it has it has some little things that I don't like,but I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
I'm with you on this. While I'm a couple of inches shorter at 5'7", I much prefer the comfort on the Street 750 vs the power/discomfort on the Street Rod. I was stepping down from an Iron 883 anyway (I never got comfortable with the handling or top heavy feeling). I don't have any issues with the placement of the pegs and I definitely prefer the liquid cooled engine vs air cooled (I live in Alabama and it gets &*^%$ hot here in the late Spring and Summer). Those who are looking for power will probably opt for a bigger sporty anyway. I think the Street Rod is an attempt to lure in the younger/sport bike demographic, which I am definitely not at 56.

Last edited by Roorat60; 05-09-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:05 PM
AKC
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Wait... I'm 56.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:30 PM
Harleynewb
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ten years ago I was determined to own a sport bike. But I decided on more of a sport touring instead because of not having to lean forward and stretch my arms to reach the handlebars. My bike was fairly comfortable to ride,until a couple of years ago when I started getting leg and hip cramps on my right side. Well that's when I decided to make a change to a comfortable bike. I have to agree that the Street Rod is for younger folks,or at least someone that isn't having leg/hip issues. Another reason I decided on the Street as well is because of the low weight.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:45 PM
Roorat60
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by AKC
Wait... I'm 56.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:57 AM
TheGit12
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by AKC
I can actually say for once that I'm glad to have a 29" inseam.

Seriously though, those with much above that may find it a little "folded up" and the peg position does take some getting used to.

I just don't understand why the brake pedal is shaped the way it is...
I know, its as if part of the struggle is actually finding the peg and the brake lever as your stopping and putting your foot back on the peg, I was thinking is my foot on the exhaust or the peg.

Old 05-14-2017, 02:04 PM
AKC
Cruiser

One issue is the stock pegs. While quite stylish, they're rather small and rubber-topped. Not a lot of real estate for the foot and hard to move around on.

A bike like the SR screams for a round peg, and that's one of the first mods I made, using the HD "Diamond Black" pegs. They're just a nad wider, mostly knurled with a little rubber to them. Feel and function has been vastly improved.

Frankly, I'm not having much of an issue with the "exhaust pad", I just wish the brake pedal had been forged a little differently. The big, sweeping "up & over" hook is completely unnecessary and actually detracts from the utility of the pedal. And the pad itself could be bigger.

The following users liked this post:
Ramas (06-24-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 09:41 PM
James Gargs
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to disagree about the ridding position on this bike. Is it awkward? Yes, at first. I am 5'10" and weigh a solid 215 lbs. I have owned my SR since April and I found the right foot peg issue slightly annoying. Certainly, not enough to stop me from purchasing it. Now, I don't even pay attention to it. I have actually learned how to keep my foot on the peg and not even utilize the exhaust foot pad. The only issue I do have with it is the rear break pedal. My foot hits the top of the lever, rather than the pad itself. Love my bike and have put over 1400 miles on it. Just upgraded to the Daymaker headlight, Firebrand Loose Cannon, and will be installing my exhaust wraps tomorrow. I have my fender elim kit coming in a few days.

The following users liked this post:
Ramas (06-24-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 11:32 PM
AKC
Cruiser

Originally Posted by James Gargs
I have my fender elim kit coming in a few days.
I wasn't aware that someone was making a fender elimination kit for the STREET ROD. I know they're out there for the STREET. I'd be curious to see if it works for the SR as well. I kinda get the feeling it won't...

Old 06-24-2017, 02:15 PM
Ramas
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

From a guy who is 44 " Inseam (I guess this a waist size? folded up is right on the mark.
Except I have not been folded up in my 56 years. This Street rod anyways was the only bike that I felt OK for the price. Its not covered up and parked and when I get back from my ship, It will be chop and change OEM or not. India isnt that great for HD choppers and changers(maybe I have not found any yet)!! Most just toodle along to HD dealers and pay the price.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:19 PM
Ramas
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Will you be wrapping the whole exhaust pipe or just near the foot rest? I bought a set of wraps from a local dealer but think the kit is not complete, its missing the spray can (silicone high temp? and clips?) anyways bike is cold stored for 3 months.
Would love to see some pics after the wrap.

Quick Reply: Street Rod small review