5000 Mile review of my 2017 Street-Rod

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 05:48 AM
Jedz123
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ice44
Hi Jedz,

I too have a Street Rod as my first HD (first motorcycle for that matter). I am 6'4" 220lbs. I want to raise my handlebars and seats as well. Please advise which seat you got and what do you use to raise the handle bars.

I searched the internet and called the HD dealer and they said not too many parts for the Street Rod has been offered yet because the newness of the bike.

Please advise. Thanks.
I didn't get a seat, I modified the one I had. I am now running an air hawk pad for the stock seat is tortuous if you plan to do more the 150 miles.

Completely inflated it helps allot on height of the seat.

Handle bar riser are standard bar risers you get for any other bike off of ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alu-7-8-22mm...RZFZrR&vxp=mtr

Yeah don't expect the dealer to come out with anything new for this thing... They won't make After Market until they now there's a "market" for it... We will see for my long term ownership of my XG-A is all dependent if they develop the line or not.

best,

Yesterday Cracked 7K miles... Finally done moving/buying a house so I'm hoping to get some big miles for August!

Definitely will break 10K with this thing this year, I'm at 10K for the season with all my bikes, Not the best I've had... Who Knows I got 3.5 more months of solid riding to be had!!!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-30-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:53 AM
ice44
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedz123
I didn't get a seat, I modified the one I had. I am now running an air hawk pad for the stock seat is tortuous if you plan to do more the 150 miles.

Completely inflated it helps allot on height of the seat.

Handle bar riser are standard bar risers you get for any other bike off of ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alu-7-8-22mm...RZFZrR&vxp=mtr

Yeah don't expect the dealer to come out with anything new for this thing... They won't make After Market until they now there's a "market" for it... We will see for my long term ownership of my XG-A is all dependent if they develop the line or not.

best,

Thanks for the reply. Noted on the air hawk and riser. Thanks for the link.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:05 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,785 Posts

Good and honest test bed man. Pretty sad about the rubber components. A lot of parts on a Harley have these components.

There can be a two cent difference in the makeup of these components that can make the world of difference in life. Sad that Harley went the save two cents route.

Most aftermarket rubber in belts and hoses are like that and basically, appears, a new Harley is starting out on this one year at best life.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:33 AM
Jedz123
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Good and honest test bed man. Pretty sad about the rubber components. A lot of parts on a Harley have these components.

There can be a two cent difference in the makeup of these components that can make the world of difference in life. Sad that Harley went the save two cents route.

Most aftermarket rubber in belts and hoses are like that and basically, appears, a new Harley is starting out on this one year at best life.
The grommets don't fit that's half the problem too. I went up to the floor model they had and I easily flicked the right cover off... My Front faring is totally bleached from the sun so I took it off... The dry rotted intake boot was horrible and unacceptable for a BRAND NEW model...

I love this bike! I love riding it but as stated not sold on the brand and if I don't see a commitment from HD to deliver more bikes like it, then I'll walk away. The Street Rod is the only model that appeals to me and folks my age. It's a phenomenal bike, once you shake all the issues out. Mine is running superbly now.

Originally Posted by ice44
Thanks for the reply. Noted on the air hawk and riser. Thanks for the link.
Not a problem!!! Allot of my aftermarket goodies is all stuff I've used on my previous bikes (Japanese machines)... The Street Rod is a standard bike so allot that "universal" stuff crosses over to it pretty easily.

Best,

7K mile updater...

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-30-2017 at 01:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ramas (08-19-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 12:04 PM
rhino1250
Road Warrior
Received 1,344 Likes on 615 Posts

How would you compare it to the xr1200x?

Old 07-31-2017, 12:20 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,785 Posts

I love your term chicken strip. I have four of them on my Harley. They always look brand new when the wear patch gets so wide, the bike wobbles in turns. That lets me know it's time for a change. Harley 24K Gold plates their pads for a reason. Think you did pretty good. I can usually get a tire per pad on mine.

Old 07-31-2017, 12:28 PM
Jedz123
Cruiser

Never ridden one, Rode a new Sporster Roaster and the Street-Rod is the more modern bike, quicker and lighter on it's toes. Water cooled 4V OHC motor. The XG750A engine was much more familiar to me (coming from Japanese machines) then the classic 1200 evolution mill. If I wanted to ride a classic inspired bike I'd ride a GS1100 or go new and get a Thruxton R or CB1100 even. The Street-Rod was exactly what I was looking for; a standard, modern motorcycle.

With the 150 on the rear the bike gets to +120mph pretty quickly. 0-60 is mid 4's I'd say with clutch-less quick shifting. I'm looking at putting it on a diet. So Wish they had chain and sprocket conversion already...

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I love your term chicken strip. I have four of them on my Harley. They always look brand new when the wear patch gets so wide, the bike wobbles in turns. That lets me know it's time for a change. Harley 24K Gold plates their pads for a reason. Think you did pretty good. I can usually get a tire per pad on mine.
That's just sintered pads you can get them for anything really, I run them on all my big liter bikes... Bite better and last longer vs the cheaper stuff out there.

Currently on my ZG1400/Connie 14 EBC Sintered:

I was interested to see Brembo on the pad...

Yeah I usually don't have chicken strips, I guess I need to go scrub out these tires!!!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-30-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:58 PM
80ci
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great to hear some good news... glad you like it i too. have been writing the motor company for a while asking them to produce a smaller bike. gettin up in years, i dont feel like picking up another full dresser again cause i grabbed too much wick or pushin the beast with a flat. my 500 works fine for me, and i'm also lookin for a chain drive setup or some custom sprockets for a little more top end. thanks for the positive feedback and keep ridin and writin

Old 12-07-2017, 03:03 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

Jedz123 has since traded off the Street Rod and picked up a used XR1200 Sportster. The seating position with the Street Rod had very ill effects on his hips.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:42 AM
Jedz123
Cruiser

Yeah it's gone after 13K miles racked, Severe sprain of my hip from a long trip with concern of it becoming arthritic (I'm 33 years old). Doctor told me to not ride it anymore... I'm not going to own a motorcycle I can't ride. MoCo did me right and got me on the only other Harley Davidson I wanted. My XR1200.

I lost about a month on my already short riding season (snowing and freezing now) from the injury. The XR is an 09 but is WAY better then the Street-Rod in almost everyway.

FYI Trade in is worth JACK on the Street's I was not offered much for trade in... However they did work very generously with me and got me on my XR1200.

I wanted the XR firstly but are very very rare and hard to find. They dealer found it for me. They worked hard to keep me on a Harley.

Last edited by Jedz123; 12-07-2017 at 08:44 AM.

Quick Reply: 5000 Mile review of my 2017 Street-Rod