Chain Conversions for Streets

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 08:44 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,250 Likes on 11,136 Posts

Originally Posted by greggreen
Wrong. Again.

In terms of efficiency chains are #1 and always have been. Then belts, then shaft drive.

Once more you post this same inaccurate information. Please read this article https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/m...stems-compared.

Then, "at least you'll know the product your [sic] are talking about."
From your reference:

"If belts are so great, why don’t we see them on more bikes? Packaging and difficulty of replacement are the biggest drawbacks. Belts can’t wrap as tightly as chains so they need to be run on big pulleys that wouldn’t necessarily fit on smaller bikes. And when it comes to replacing a drive belt, the process usually entails removing the swingarm. Belts also sap a lot more power than sprockets and chains, so they’re not nearly as efficient."

Sorry, but I'd need to see some actual data supporting the above efficiency assertion. Just because some writer states it, doesn't make it true. The one thing I could agree with, is that with a belt you need more teeth engaged, as such you need larger sprockets, and correspondingly more weight. But, I'm not sure that adds up to "sap a lot more power".

Old 12-02-2017, 09:04 AM
greggreen
Cruiser
Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
From your reference:

"If belts are so great, why don’t we see them on more bikes? Packaging and difficulty of replacement are the biggest drawbacks. Belts can’t wrap as tightly as chains so they need to be run on big pulleys that wouldn’t necessarily fit on smaller bikes. And when it comes to replacing a drive belt, the process usually entails removing the swingarm. Belts also sap a lot more power than sprockets and chains, so they’re not nearly as efficient."

Sorry, but I'd need to see some actual data supporting the above efficiency assertion. Just because some writer states it, doesn't make it true. The one thing I could agree with, is that with a belt you need more teeth engaged, as such you need larger sprockets, and correspondingly more weight. But, I'm not sure that adds up to "sap a lot more power".
I agree that the comment that belts sap a lot more power is a bit dramatic. I suppose if a chain had a 1% power loss and a belt 2% one could say the belt had twice the loss of efficiency. But that's a negligible number except maybe on a racetrack.

My main point here is to show the correct order that the different systems should be listed.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:15 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Gregg - Son, tests have showed the inertia to accelerate a chain is more than a belt simply because of their heavier weight. End of story. Because of their heavier weight they also use more force when changing direction around the sprocket. It is called physics.

Haven't heard from you in a while. Nice to see that you are still stalking my posts. I was getting lonely.

Many consider efficiency a factor when maintenance needs are considered. Even the best sealed chain requires ongoing maintenance.

Last edited by lh4x4; 12-02-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:58 PM
greggreen
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Gregg - Son, tests have showed the inertia to accelerate a chain is more than a belt simply because of their heavier weight. End of story. Because of their heavier weight they also use more force when changing direction around the sprocket. It is called physics.

Haven't heard from you in a while. Nice to see that you are still stalking my posts. I was getting lonely.

Many consider efficiency a factor when maintenance needs are considered. Even the best sealed chain requires ongoing maintenance.
You're still wrong. I've provided two links that support my argument. You have submitted..............nothing. Except a vague reference to "tests".

As for stalking you. I think your ego is a bit inflated. The simple fact is that you post on this forum so often (12,000+ posts!) it's practically impossible to browse the threads and not run across at least one of your posts.

So there you have it. Son.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:04 PM
rhino1250
Road Warrior
Received 1,344 Likes on 615 Posts

Call zippers performance

Old 12-03-2017, 05:50 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

Remove the swing arm to replace a belt?

Old 12-03-2017, 10:52 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

Gregg - So every time you post you browse the softail, Dyna, Sportster, Touring, Trike, Street, V Rod, Pan, Shovel, M8, Rushmore, off topic, road trip and others. BS!

I started checking every time you post your negative comments and what did I find. Your name is always on the last ten who checked my stats to find out where it am posting.

Remember your quality of knowledge resulted in you making two posts that I did not own a motorcycle that I just read and and dream about them. You followed that up with if I even do have a bike and ride I just ride locally on flat roads.

I don't put you on ignore as I find your disturbed mental conditions amusing having had a second major in psychology the other was management.

Remember also that on two occasions with your claims about my cycles would not do what I say they do that I have I offered to ride to your area and demonstrate them to you. You crawfished out demonstrating the cowardly person that you are. That in spite of me offering to hand you the stamped and preaddressed envelope with a $1K donation to St. Jude's for you to mail if they failed.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by lh4x4; 12-03-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:58 AM
greggreen
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Gregg - So every time you post you browse the softail, Dyna, Sportster, Touring, Trike, Street, V Rod, Pan, Shovel, M8, Rushmore, off topic, road trip and others. BS!

I started checking every time you post your negative comments and what did I find. Your name is always on the last ten who checked my stats to find out where it am posting.

Remember your quality of knowledge resulted in you making two posts that I did not own a motorcycle that I just read and and dream about them. You followed that up with if I even do have a bike and ride I just ride locally on flat roads.

I don't put you on ignore as I find your disturbed mental conditions amusing having had a second major in psychology the other was management.

Remember also that on two occasions with your claims about my cycles would not do what I say they do that I have I offered to ride to your area and demonstrate them to you. You crawfished out demonstrating the cowardly person that you are. That in spite of me offering to hand you the stamped and preaddressed envelope with a $1K donation to St. Jude's for you to mail if they failed.

Have a nice day.
Why is it whenever someone points out that you have posted incorrect information you go off on some nonsensical tangent unrelated to the original post?

One can only presume you do this to obscure the fact that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Here's an idea. Check and correct your facts before posting false and misleading info on a public forum and no one will be able to question your lack of knowledge.

Simple huh?

Last edited by greggreen; 12-04-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:35 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

"false and misleading info on a public forum" Gregg this is the heart of many of your posts. Look in a mirror and wake up.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:13 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Jedz123
I personally just don't get why they'd run a belt on a "performance" model.
HP:68
tq: 47
weight: 525

Performance model?

Quick Reply: Chain Conversions for Streets