Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

This Street Rod is a hoot!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 02:00 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,219 Likes on 1,264 Posts

whats the difference in the Street and the XG other than price? I think the Street has a stage 1 upgrade?
The major difference between the Street Rod and the Street 750 is riding position. The Street 750 is more of a UJM/universal riding position, sitting more upright, feet below you. The Street Rod riding position is more low over the tank, with your knees bunched up under you. The Street Rod's seat height is a lot higher too; the Street 750 is 25.7" and the Street Rod is 29.8". Street Rod has more ground clearance (8.1 vs 5.7 in) and a lot more lean angle.

The Street Rod's engine produces more power and flows better; it performs stock about like a Street 750 would if the Street 750 had a Stage 1 upgrade put on it. But the Street Rod has a bigger tire on it, which changes the net gearing to make it taller, so in a drag race they're similar. Cycle World tested both of them, they put the 0-60 on the Street 750 at 4.6 and the Street Rod at 4.5. Harley's specs call for the Street 750 to produce 44.5 ft/lbs at the crank, and the Street Rod is 47.9, both at 4000 RPM.

The Street Rod is pretty much universally praised for having a higher quality fit 'n' finish; there were complaints about the "cheapness" of the Street 750 (exposed wiring, visible welds, etc). I don't know if that's still the case or not, but it certainly was at the introduction of the Street 750. The big complaint on the Street 750 was the brakes, although those were addressed/upgraded on the 2016 models, and the 2017 now has ABS as an option, so I don't think that's really an issue anymore. As for the Street Rod, pretty much the only big complaint I've read is the riding position; one guy referred to it as that it turns you into a "toad"; laying flat over your arms while your legs are bunched up under you. There were complaints about the footpeg position, etc. But most reviews praised it for performance and build quality.

So -- if the seat is too tall, or the riding position isn't comfortable, then the Street Rod's not for you. But if you're comfortable on it, the Street Rod is better built and better performing. Really you have to try them out, the seating position is so different that that alone might make up your mind between the two.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:07 PM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

Received 285 Likes on 184 Posts

Everything I have read in reviews is if the rider is over 5' 10" things get a bit cramped. I'm 5' 7" and stay comfortable.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:16 PM
robistro
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by modular
Everything I have read in reviews is if the rider is over 5' 10" things get a bit cramped. I'm 5' 7" and stay comfortable.
Yep, I sat on a 750 the other day during my lunch hour and I felt cramped. I'm 6' around 180....seems the bike was not a good fit for me, but I like the style of it. Maybe one of these new names HD has patented. (Bronx, or 48X) will be another street bike design instead of another cruiser?

Old 01-20-2018, 07:00 PM
robistro
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot - Thanks for that writeup FatBob2018 - helpful info

Old 01-21-2018, 06:16 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

There are plenty of reviews on the bike with lots of information. Just Google 2017 Harley Street Rod. There are also a few good ones on YouTube.

Old 01-21-2018, 06:33 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,997 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by elephantrider
i know there are quite a few sporty and street haters, but i really
do like the looks of that bad boy.
I don't think it's a hate thing with Sportsters. I just don't think most Harley riders see the sense in them.

If you're going to buy a Harley then buy a big Harley. If you're going to buy a sport bike then buy one of the jappers. They're cheaper, faster and probably more reliable. In any case there's most likely a whole lot more performance parts available for them. I'm just sayin'.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:55 AM
rhino1250
Road Warrior
Received 1,344 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
I don't think it's a hate thing with Sportsters. I just don't think most Harley riders see the sense in them.

If you're going to buy a Harley then buy a big Harley. If you're going to buy a sport bike then buy one of the jappers. They're cheaper, faster and probably more reliable. In any case there's most likely a whole lot more performance parts available for them. I'm just sayin'.
No way the sportster is the oldest model HD makes and one of the oldest continuing models of all time, so it's closer to being a real harley than any other model and it's not a sport bike it's a standard. As far as reliability the sportster evo is by far the most bomb proof motor Harley has ever made and it's stupid easy to work on. You won't have to rebuild it at 20,000 miles like a jap bike you don't have to adjust the valves you don't have to oil the chain and it's not made of plastic. The only sport bikes Harley ever made was the RR350 and the VR1000. Take a road with curves instead of the interstate and the sportster will make sense

Last edited by rhino1250; 01-21-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:01 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

This is the Street section of the forum. Let's not turn this into a thread about the Sportster. They have a lot of those in the Sportster area.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:32 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Very surprised that the radiator "guard" would make so much of a difference with regards to the sideview, but, it certainly does.
I think once the fuel/spark/timing curve are optimized, you won't have to answer, "How's the low-end torque?"
I'm more interested in the "topend rush" personally.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:33 AM
modular
Stellar HDF Member

The V&H's FuelPak3 has really woke the bike up all over the rev range. They are still tweaking things. It's the only tuner so far that does not require a dyno session just to get it going.

Quick Reply: This Street Rod is a hoot!!