Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

Asking Street owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 12:02 PM
SWFLGuy
Road Warrior
Received 1,211 Likes on 597 Posts

I had a street rod and it was fun to ride. I did get cramps in my hips sometimes though. It had plenty of juice in town and would hold its own against any stock Sportster running around.
I traded it not because it was bad but I just wanted more.

Old 05-30-2019, 12:35 AM
alaxjordan0
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brilliant idea, my wife is asking for it for one year.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:39 AM
Christine Hughes
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjustable Dimotiv levers

Hi, I have been searching for adjustable levers for my Street 500. It seems incredible that the after market hasn’t nailed this since the Street has been out a few years, and tons of small lady owners. Anyway it looks like the Dimotiv ones may work.

If you put these on; did you have you HD shop install them? Do you have any error codes? Do they work properly? Are you happy with them?

Many thanks!!!
Chrissy

Originally Posted by Roorat60
I own an 2017 Street 750. I am 58 years old and came back to riding after a 30 year gap. My first step was to take the MSF course for a refresher and learn something new. The course was fabulous.

My first motorcycle was a Kawasaki KZ200 street bike and I loved it. After the course, I decided to buy a used Honda Shadow 750. It was a good bike, but the reach and riding position wasn't what my Kawasaki was, so I gave it to my son and bought a new 2014 Iron 883XL. The Iron 883 is called a girls bike and made for beginners, but after riding it for about 500 miles within 2 years, I was definitely experiencing buyers remorse. To me it was very top/front heavy and hard for me to maneuver, the reach wasn't good nor was the riding position (I tried loads of mods from adding risers, changing the seat, and changed the foot controls twice).

Long story, short. I decided to try the Street and it was love at first sight!! This bike was almost exactly the way my first bike was (the Kawasaki) in the size, shape, seat, reach, etc but had a much larger engine! The only changes I made to this bike were: engine guards, long stem mirrors, detachable windshield, luggage rack and sissy bar, and a set of non-OEM adjustable clutch/brake levers made by Dimotiv. Because I have very small hands, the stock levers were too far out for me to reach well and the stock mirrors are only good for looking at your own elbows!

FWIW, I am a 5'7", 140 lb female. I still have a way to go to get the same confidence level that I had as a younger rider and I'm much more cautious, but I am loving every mile on my bike. My husband rides with me and guards my rear in traffic (he rides a Kawasaki Vulcan Classic1500 and has a much larger profile in traffic) .

I would say, if you want you wife to ride with you, the Street is definitely the bike to get. It is very easy to maneuver and the perfect size. I'm not sure if there is a lot of difference between the 500 and 750 other than engine size/power or if that difference would matter much unless your taking highways a lot and need the extra giddy-up go. I would NOT recommend any of the sportsters for newbie riders.