Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

Installing Viking Bags

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 11:14 PM
CanuckEH
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Viking Bags

Ok, so I am throwing this out to the masses who have installed saddle bags and also have the quick release on their Street. I purchased Viking bags for my wifes 2018 Street 750 which also has the quick release rack on it.
While taking out the bolts tonight which hold on the mount pieces for the quick release rack, the portion which is closest to the fender was not an issue, what was an issue was another piece fell out from lord knows where. Its a long black bar, curved with two holes drilled in it. What I am not sure of is:
Does this install inside the fender or outside the fender (inside the rear fender mount?
I have had thus far major issues installing the saddle bags with the mount pieces. Finding the right size and length of bolt is not easy for sure.

Cheers Wayne

Old 07-14-2018, 06:46 AM
deperdue
Road Captain
Received 126 Likes on 118 Posts

I have had mine apart several times. I think the piece you are talking about goes between the fender and the bar that the bolts go through.

Old 07-14-2018, 06:55 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Pics would be nice (visual) & didn't the bags come w/installation instructions? My Ends Cuoio bags came all tha way from Italy and came w/detailed instructions...in English.

Old 07-14-2018, 09:43 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

The black Bar you found came from behind the Black trim that runs along the edge. If it still gives you fits let mine know I will pull mine and take more pictures of it for you. Bolt ACE Hardware/ Fleet farm.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VL2h4e]

This shows riders right side flip left side as the instruction show.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/VYEzUd]

Last edited by smitty901; 07-14-2018 at 09:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CanuckEH (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 08:55 AM
CanuckEH
Intermediate

The one I am talking about is the thin one, top of first picture, right on the second picture. I found it is quite solid, fits in but is not a super fit for sure. Nice bags by the way, almost the same ones. Did you use the bolts provided and then nut on the inside of the fender?. If they worked then I will get longer ones as her Street has the docking station put on by Harley, which are a different threat bolt. So does one put these two black pieces together, then install to the fender?

Old 07-15-2018, 10:48 AM
CanuckEH
Intermediate
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by smitty901
The black Bar you found came from behind the Black trim that runs along the edge. If it still gives you fits let mine know I will pull mine and take more pictures of it for you. Bolt ACE Hardware/ Fleet farm.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144658...57682788938530

[url=https://flic.kr/p/VL2h4e]

This shows riders right side flip left side as the instruction show.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/VYEzUd]
Actually they are the same bags, Looks great
Did you reverse the rack to get it that close?

Old 07-15-2018, 01:43 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by CanuckEH
Actually they are the same bags, Looks great
Did you reverse the rack to get it that close?
Yes and I tossed the silly bolts they had for the lower mounts put real bolts with washers in much stronger. When I mounted them at first was ok with it , but after looking at it I knew they could be pulled in more. I ended up removing one bag when the sidecar went on . Left it on comes in handy now and then. I found all the bolts I needs local and low cost. If you need more pictures yell .
Yes the thin one goes in side the the large one. The rear raised nipple you see on the thin one goes toward the bike.
The bags have help up well over a year in a good bit of rain and snow.

Mounts flipped I had to drill the lower holes to fit the silly bolts they had were just to small. It was really easy.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/27MJUb2]

I purchased the Street 750 just because, It has turned out to be a Blast

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CVeHHV]

Last edited by smitty901; 07-15-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:17 PM
CanuckEH
Intermediate

The issue I seem to be having is the 2018 Street 750 does not have anyplace to put nuts on. The bolts that hold the fender on go into a solid piece welded to the frame. My understanding is the order is inside fender, the long black spacer piece, then fender, then the outside piece that fits over the spring. As for the saddle bags, I have to go out and get the same size width of bolt that Harley put on when they installed the quick release however longer of course.
so it would basically be bag, holder reversed, quick release, fender piece, fender, fender strap then into the frame which a bolt screws into.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:50 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Looks like you stripped them. Only one option get new long bolts and tap them. yes you need longer bolts . And the ones that came with it are too small.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:36 PM
CanuckEH
Intermediate

Thank you for all your help Smitty. After much cursing, my wife took the bike to Good Times cycle here in Ottawa where even the tech had a headache. No issue retaping the threads, what was a pain in the *** was putting it all through the quick release hardware and that retarded fender spacer. My wife will be constantly checking the bolts as they had to be quite long, however it's on, straight with the quick release hardware/rack. Was not a fun issue for sure. I do not believe Vikings made these with the 2018 Street with quick release hardware regardless of longer bolts and larger size bolts. Any time you take a loc tited bolt out that Harley put it, nothing it seems to quite go back straight. LOL. However done now and does look good.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Installing Viking Bags