Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

Accidentally Drained Battery - P1009

Old 07-19-2018, 11:25 AM
sdhamerlinck
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Accidentally Drained Battery - P1009

Both cars were in the driveway when I came home (the Harley lives inside the garage), and I meant to go move it quickly, got distracted, left it with the key on... you get the picture.
Thankfully it was within pushing range, and I hooked up my trickle charger overnight. Unfortunately after charging, the security system forgot who it was - whatever 'Password' it forgot wasn't jiving, and I couldn't enter my PIN nor turn it over.
Frankly, I had assumed the password meant my fob. I'm not so certain anymore, I get confused once we get about three acronyms deep.

Again to frame it:
2017 Harley Street Rod. Dead battery, charged back up, ECM diagnostics kicked a P1009. One odometer button push showed U0168. One more push showed a part number that looked pretty generic. Clearing would not stay clear.

I tried all of the ECM password learn tricks, tried to do a transport mode, tried about three YouTube videos and two pretty well written web instructions... nothing was working. (Street Rods don't have a blinker on each handle... which most of the guides reference, like the "On - Off - On - Off - On, Left Blinker Twice, Odometer Button, Blood Sample, 'the splits', balance your checkbook, wait 10 minutes, give up" sequence. Odometer button does the work, but it isn't a direct substitute, I tried.)

A stroke of luck got me back in business. I'm not sure about best practices here - but the ignition was on, red security light was on and constant. I noticed the fuse diagram on the plastic guard that would be under your right thigh while riding. Top center was the security system fuse. I was curious if it was blown, so I pulled it - and I'm feeling a little sheepish that the ignition was on and the main fuse still in. Fuse was fine. Put it back in, red security light started blinking fast for a couple seconds, and I was back in business.

I don't know how or why it worked. But it did. Good luck out there.

The following users liked this post:
chesnutlane (07-19-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 05:42 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

CANBUS system will flash when reseting. Just like when you change to CD LED turn signals it has to learn. Like all you did was cause it to relearn.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:06 PM
Adam Phillips
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley street 500 battery accidentally drained P 1009

Thanks heaps for this post mate! I was having the the exact same problem you just describedafyer draining and recharging the battery in my street 500. Tried removing and reinstalling the security system fuse the way described and it fixed the problem exactly the way it did for you. You saved me a trip to the Harley Workshop for that. Cheers

Originally Posted by sdhamerlinck
Both cars were in the driveway when I came home (the Harley lives inside the garage), and I meant to go move it quickly, got distracted, left it with the key on... you get the picture.
Thankfully it was within pushing range, and I hooked up my trickle charger overnight. Unfortunately after charging, the security system forgot who it was - whatever 'Password' it forgot wasn't jiving, and I couldn't enter my PIN nor turn it over.
Frankly, I had assumed the password meant my fob. I'm not so certain anymore, I get confused once we get about three acronyms deep.

Again to frame it:
2017 Harley Street Rod. Dead battery, charged back up, ECM diagnostics kicked a P1009. One odometer button push showed U0168. One more push showed a part number that looked pretty generic. Clearing would not stay clear.

I tried all of the ECM password learn tricks, tried to do a transport mode, tried about three YouTube videos and two pretty well written web instructions... nothing was working. (Street Rods don't have a blinker on each handle... which most of the guides reference, like the "On - Off - On - Off - On, Left Blinker Twice, Odometer Button, Blood Sample, 'the splits', balance your checkbook, wait 10 minutes, give up" sequence. Odometer button does the work, but it isn't a direct substitute, I tried.)

A stroke of luck got me back in business. I'm not sure about best practices here - but the ignition was on, red security light was on and constant. I noticed the fuse diagram on the plastic guard that would be under your right thigh while riding. Top center was the security system fuse. I was curious if it was blown, so I pulled it - and I'm feeling a little sheepish that the ignition was on and the main fuse still in. Fuse was fine. Put it back in, red security light started blinking fast for a couple seconds, and I was back in business.

I don't know how or why it worked. But it did. Good luck out there.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:55 PM
sdhamerlinck
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yussssss!

Originally Posted by Adam Phillips
Thanks heaps for this post mate! I was having the the exact same problem you just describedafyer draining and recharging the battery in my street 500. Tried removing and reinstalling the security system fuse the way described and it fixed the problem exactly the way it did for you. You saved me a trip to the Harley Workshop for that. Cheers
Well kick ***! Be safe out there!!