Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

Street 750 vs Sportster 883

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 10:27 AM
Rexter
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I swapped my 17 roadster for a 19 street rod. Its more comfortable, sounds better (with a vh slip on), handling is better (turns and maneuvering congested areas). To each their own I like the much larger rpm range as I can cruse the highway 70-80 at around 4k rpm. It works better for my needs as I commute in downtown traffic daily. Its a great bike for those purposes I cant say I would go on a 200 plus mile run with it as its kinda cramped but I am much taller than your daughter. And the shocks do have a little height adjustment to them might be able to get her feet on the ground better.

The exhaust sound just depends on what you like. This VH is loud but sounds similar to other Harley's on the road. I almost miss the nice quiet stock sound now less attention from the cops and neighbors.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:47 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,599 Likes on 5,169 Posts

Exhaust for Street check out the night Stick HD Super trap on it with 12 disk. Sounds great runs great.

Last edited by smitty901; 04-09-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:53 AM
Phil13
Road Master
Received 1,625 Likes on 576 Posts

Yes, I owned both, well a Street Rod and a 48 at the same time.

I can't claim any knowledge of riding the Street itself, but the Street Rod is a cracking little bike for what it is. It has better performance and brakes than the Street and the USD forks and better quality shocks make it a very stable and forgiving machine. Corners very well and the Revolution X motor is an absolute peach. Gearbox comes under the 'Surprisingly good for a Harley' heading.

While the seat height may be an issue, Harley do a 'Reach' seat for them which may help your daughter with that issue.

The only downside to the bike is the right footrest placement, which is weird to say the least. Though after about 5 minutes you get used to it. Would I buy another? Yes, absolutely if I had the spare dosh to spend.

Old 06-08-2019, 04:43 PM
CanuckEH
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my wifes Street (Canada)
Bat wing
Crash bars
Bags
Rack and sissy bar
TBR racing slipons
Mirror extenders

Can definitely make it her own.
Difficulty in getting forward controls/floorboards etc however I think these will come around eventually.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:20 AM
VortecCPI
Road Captain
Received 247 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexter
I swapped my 17 roadster for a 19 street rod. Its more comfortable, sounds better (with a vh slip on), handling is better (turns and maneuvering congested areas). To each their own I like the much larger rpm range as I can cruse the highway 70-80 at around 4k rpm. It works better for my needs as I commute in downtown traffic daily. Its a great bike for those purposes I cant say I would go on a 200 plus mile run with it as its kinda cramped but I am much taller than your daughter. And the shocks do have a little height adjustment to them might be able to get her feet on the ground better.

The exhaust sound just depends on what you like. This VH is loud but sounds similar to other Harley's on the road. I almost miss the nice quiet stock sound now less attention from the cops and neighbors.
I also considered a Roadster but, in my opinion, rider position was even worse than Street Rod. It can be easily fixed with clip-on bars and rear-set foot controls but by that time you have spent a lot of time and money. I would much prefer a 1,200cc Sportster engine but the Street Rod is a fair-priced compromise that delivers pretty good performance. The Roadster is a feeble attempt in my opinion. If HD wants a Sportster-powered naked sport bike bring back something like the old XR1200. In the mean time the XG750A is sort of a poor-man's XR1200 and I like it...

Of course we have the new 114ci Fat Bob but that thing is not affordable and it is HEAVY... And the FXDR... Not too sure about that whole concept...

Last edited by VortecCPI; 07-20-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:24 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
I hear that loud and clear. The 750 Street , the newer ones are a good bike , the engine is solid, newer ones have brakes meeting at least some rider idea of what they should be. Sporty's are cool and newer ones are reliable . If she is going to keep riding maybe looking at a couple year old softtail.
Sporty's are easy / cheap to maintain / work on / bullet proof air cooled engines with out all the water pump / radiator stuff, and have a design that every man and his dog has parts for.

Wiz 🍸

Old 07-24-2019, 05:46 PM
VortecCPI
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
Sporty's are easy / cheap to maintain / work on / bullet proof air cooled engines with out all the water pump / radiator stuff, and have a design that every man and his dog has parts for.

Wiz 🍸
Very true, and I agree, but as we see with enduro riders the new liquid stuff has proved extremely reliable. Once you move away from carb and points all bets are off anyhow...

The following users liked this post:
chico08 (07-29-2019)
Old 07-24-2019, 09:27 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by VortecCPI
Very true, and I agree, but as we see with enduro riders the new liquid stuff has proved extremely reliable. Once you move away from carb and points all bets are off anyhow...
True , but keeping it simple wins the race,
When the wife got me my quad it was suggested to get at least a radiator guard as the rads are so thin and easy to ding.

If I was going to do any endurance riding The Air cooled XR 650 is where I’m going 🤘.

Wiz Bang 🍻

Last edited by Wizardofaus; 07-24-2019 at 10:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
VortecCPI (07-25-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 05:22 AM
VortecCPI
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Wizardofaus
True , but keeping it simple wins the race,
When the wife got me my quad it was suggested to get at least a radiator guard as the rads are so thin and easy to ding.

If I was going to do any endurance riding The Air cooled XR 650 is where I’m going 🤘.

Wiz Bang 🍻
Of course I agree again, which is why I own a CRF230F with mild cam and piston. Like the old XR series is is bullet-proof.

My 1986 Yamaha SRX600 is also bullet-proof - Even uses a separate magneto for ignition.

I love the older EVOs with carbs...