Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750

Street Rod - S&S Stealth Air Cleaner - Squeaking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 04:56 PM
sdhamerlinck
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Street Rod - S&S Stealth Air Cleaner - Squeaking?

2017 Street Rod, 7500 miles, Harley certified serviced after break-in, at around 4500, and last Thursday at 7450-ish.
I got the Vance and Hines High-Output Slip-On way back. Love it - even had to order the "okay, that's a little too loud" baffle a few days later.
That brought a bigger pop on deceleration with the muffler upgrade alone, started saving for the air cleaner and performance tuner.

A couple weeks ago I grabbed up a S&S Stealth Air Cleaner for Street Rod, it looks great. Grabbed the Harley Street Performance Tuner, as instructed by other forums - muffler alone is fine, bigger air intake requires a tune. Got it.
It runs great, and sounds awesome... flashed it with the Stage 1 preset on the Harley software, then ran a couple auto-tune recordings and adjusted as the software suggested.
Less pop on decel, holy COW I've got some torque in 6th around 4500rpm for passing power...

But there's this squeak at about 30% throttle that drives me nuts. Only under torque - it won't happen in neutral standing still. It doesn't sound like a whistle or a whoosh, it sounds like a metal on metal flutter, and that scares the crap out of me.
I've heard "any time you get an open air filter,..." a couple times, and I get that, this thing is now sucking air... but this sounds a little different and suspicious.
Also, when I roll on in 6th@4500 and hang on for dear life (it's great), my gear indicator goes blank for a half second, shows a 5 for a quarter second, blank for a half, then 6 again. I'm thinking "I just gained enough power to freak out my gear indicator, awesome." But I don't think that's such a good thing, however awesome it may sound.

I got the low speed version of the squeak here at about the 7 second mark : (Scratch that, against the rules maybe?)

Anybody had similar issues? Should I be worried about either? I don't mind getting service if I need it, but I don't want to wreck hundreds on a goose chase either.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by sdhamerlinck; 05-15-2019 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Removed Broken Video Link, Really This Time.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:01 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,922 Likes on 3,022 Posts

won't load for me. Possibly an exhaust shield rattle

Old 05-15-2019, 08:22 PM
sdhamerlinck
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wrenched Em

Originally Posted by RANGER73
won't load for me. Possibly an exhaust shield rattle
Thanks Ranger, they’re super tight, we tried that last Friday. I wonder what else might rattle? I will admit I’m pretty smoked about my most recent service call, as when I installed the air cleaner, the old ones bolts were clearly not inspected since it was fully out and rolling in the plastic housing. What else do they claim to tighten to spec that they may have missed? This isn’t a hit job on them, though, I just want to address any issue that I may or may not have.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:00 AM
VortecCPI
Road Captain
Received 247 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by sdhamerlinck
2017 Street Rod, 7500 miles, Harley certified serviced after break-in, at around 4500, and last Thursday at 7450-ish.
I got the Vance and Hines High-Output Slip-On way back. Love it - even had to order the "okay, that's a little too loud" baffle a few days later.
That brought a bigger pop on deceleration with the muffler upgrade alone, started saving for the air cleaner and performance tuner.

A couple weeks ago I grabbed up a S&S Stealth Air Cleaner for Street Rod, it looks great. Grabbed the Harley Street Performance Tuner, as instructed by other forums - muffler alone is fine, bigger air intake requires a tune. Got it.
It runs great, and sounds awesome... flashed it with the Stage 1 preset on the Harley software, then ran a couple auto-tune recordings and adjusted as the software suggested.
Less pop on decel, holy COW I've got some torque in 6th around 4500rpm for passing power...

But there's this squeak at about 30% throttle that drives me nuts. Only under torque - it won't happen in neutral standing still. It doesn't sound like a whistle or a whoosh, it sounds like a metal on metal flutter, and that scares the crap out of me.
I've heard "any time you get an open air filter,..." a couple times, and I get that, this thing is now sucking air... but this sounds a little different and suspicious.
Also, when I roll on in 6th@4500 and hang on for dear life (it's great), my gear indicator goes blank for a half second, shows a 5 for a quarter second, blank for a half, then 6 again. I'm thinking "I just gained enough power to freak out my gear indicator, awesome." But I don't think that's such a good thing, however awesome it may sound.

I got the low speed version of the squeak here at about the 7 second mark : (Scratch that, against the rules maybe?)

Anybody had similar issues? Should I be worried about either? I don't mind getting service if I need it, but I don't want to wreck hundreds on a goose chase either.

Thanks in advance!
I just installed the same intake on my XG750A Street Rod and it also makes a bit of a squeak or squeal under partial throttle openings. This is just the sound of air going by the throttle plates at certain partial openings and nothing to worry about. That being said this thing does make a lot of noise when throttle inputs are heavy - Very much like a fluttering/rapping sound and I believe that is due to the huge separate throttle bodies and odd-fire nature of the engine. Twin 42mm throttle bodies on a 750cc 9,500 RPM engine is a LOT of intake area and just plain overkill and also increases intake noise. For comparison the XG750 only has a single 38mm throttle body.

I have a spreadsheet I use for sizing carbs and according to the calculation 2x42mm would be more suitable to a 750cc race engine turning 11,000 RPM. For a mildly-tuned bike like XG750A 2x35mm or 2x36mm would have been a pretty good choice.

HD did a great job keeping the stock intake quiet...

Last edited by VortecCPI; 10-18-2019 at 09:12 AM.