Harley Davidson Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for videos pertaining to Harleys, Racing (Street/Strip)and motorcycle related Interviews.

Irish riding vid

Old 03-25-2018, 10:12 AM
Nicotine
Intermediate
Received 38 Likes on 4 Posts

How come they messed up.. did they rust in place ?

Old 03-25-2018, 01:23 PM
00wyk
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The padding makes them difficult to remove, add in only a few spot welds holding in the caps, and they rip free unless you are careful or the padding was not originally installed or already very worn.
No matter, I give up. I am removing the hole shebang and installing the 'quiet' baffles that have the nice low rumble I like, and then a cam that works better with the exhaust. I rarely am two up, so I guess I dont need all that much torque.
I also just ordered a new buckhorn handlebar and lower risers. My back is dying with these straight bars.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:03 PM
Nicotine
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 00wyk
The padding makes them difficult to remove, add in only a few spot welds holding in the caps, and they rip free unless you are careful or the padding was not originally installed or already very worn.
That's good to know in advance should I want to remove them after fitting, Suppose a bar with a little bend on the end shoved into the hole at the far end of the baffle would do the trick of removing it in one piece,

Did you remove the cling film like plastic before installing ?

Old 03-28-2018, 03:55 PM
Nicotine
Intermediate

Well I finally got around to sticking in the Super Q's yesterday, Checked the the standard baffle with a DB thingy and it was tipping over 98 db at idle, The Super Q's came in at 92 db,

They make some weird sounds dude, Could't decide if I liked them so I took it to a mates house to see what he thought, When he came out I said what do you think... He say's 'is the engine lose', I say's 'what u on about' He said it was vibrating He must be deafer than me So I went to another mates house that's more into bikes, I blasted passed his house and as I turned around to come back he was at the front door,

He said that he knew it was a Harley so came out for a look at it pass but didn't think it was mine, He liked it better than the standard baffles... He like myself nearly went deaf trying to pick up on all the different sounds the new baffles make, the popping and farting on declaration dont seem to happen half as much now... When it does pop its more like a wet fart now lol,

I suppose the new sound will grow on me... Time will tell, Ended up taking off the plastic wrap before installing which made it kinda awkward getting it in But found winding it in anti clockwise kept the cloth nice an tight,

It will be off to Dublin next week for the first service, Be nice to have that done and dusted.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:23 PM
00wyk
Advanced

I suppose if you simply lop off the front of the baffle thing that has the hole in it that it would improve the sound. The plopping sound must be due to the single small opening in that bottle top. I think if you grind off the end of it, it will sound better and still not be as loud as the standard baffle.

There's a show next week down in Carlow I might attend. Assuming the bike isn't in for the cams.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:12 AM
00wyk
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nicotine
That's good to know in advance should I want to remove them after fitting, Suppose a bar with a little bend on the end shoved into the hole at the far end of the baffle would do the trick of removing it in one piece,

Did you remove the cling film like plastic before installing ?
OK, I finally FINALLY removed the super quiet baffles. They sounded terrible. It took me hours of messing with them to get them loose, too. So either stick with standard baffles or standard 'quiet' baffles. And don't bother putting the packing material in. It all goes away shortly anyways and will make it impossible to remove the baffles later. So here is how she sounds now. It's much more bass in person, too. Great sound with the 'quiet' baffles.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:11 PM
Nicotine
Intermediate

Looks like you had a frustrating time pulling them out, I had to force the Super Q's in the last inch or so with the aid of the standard baffle and a block of wood So no doubt they too will be a pain to get back out,

My Sportster is booked in for her first service tomorrow, Weather looks good for the trip to Dublin

I'm stressed a little because yesterday morn I washed the bike and hosed the suds off with the garden hose before going out for a ride, Had to stop for fuel while out and found the fuel cap was lose So there is a very good chance that water may have got into the tank... problem is I aint got time to rip off the tank and drain it So if I make it to dublin I will tell them to check it out during the service.

The joys of biking

Old 04-10-2018, 02:40 AM
00wyk
Advanced

AH man, I hate that. Yer doing something with yer bike getting it ready to ride, and ya realise you've buggered something else up.
I'd stop by and say hey in DUblin, but I got to go down to Wexford today and take care of bidniss. It's a nice ride on the scooter, and it's the opposite commute to boot.
Bit chilly this morning, tho. Gonna layer up and wear the full face.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:50 PM
Nicotine
Intermediate

[QUOTE=Nicotine;17259140]
My Sportster is booked in for her first service tomorrow, Weather looks good for the trip to Dublin

/QUOTE]

I should not put so much fate into the Irish weather forecast, On the morning as I left limerick for Dublin there was a hazy very light rain which I thought would clear up soon, It didn't, Luckily I packed some oil skins in case the wind picked up And sure enough it did... About 30 minutes from the dealership the heavens opened and it pissed down for the next 3 hours,

Anyways got the service done and rode about 30 minutes in the rain before I reached clear sky's, Stopped for coffee about 30 mile from home and when the bike was started the engine management light came on So after checking oil and making sure nothing was falling off thought it may go out as I ride on a bit, after 2 mile it was still on so pulled over and rang the dealer who in turn spoke to the guy that did the service, The service guy said it seemed to be running a little rich and asked who fitted the silent baffles... Told them it was me Then they said it could be down to that, because when they fitted the short shots they adjusted things for that system and I may have kinda mucked up the system. 'Or words to that effect'

So I'm back on the standard baffles now but the engine light is still on, The worry I had about water getting in the Tank was still getting on my nerves So after changing the baffles I took off the tank and drained and flushed it out... Checked the old petrol for signs of water and was happy to see none...

Some might say taking off the tank and finding nothing wrong was a complete waste of time But my mind is at rest now and the worry of water silently rusting away my tank as I slept is gone lol

Here's a picture of the DIY slide hammer I made for pulling out the baffles... It worked a treat Did a little vid when using it but it wont load up on here... That oblong bit of metal on the end fitted into the end hole and a couple of taps got it out in one piece... They wont be going back in that's for sure,

Attached Thumbnails Irish riding vid-imag0417.jpg  
Old 04-11-2018, 04:57 PM
Nicotine
Intermediate

I stuck the vid up on youtube after watching it, Look at the heat build up at the area the baffle starts... It dont look healthy dude, Should have brought a frying pan and a couple of eggs on the trip,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Irish riding vid