Harley Davidson Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for videos pertaining to Harleys, Racing (Street/Strip)and motorcycle related Interviews.

I'm rebuilding a flooded XL1200C

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 09:59 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,734 Likes on 2,399 Posts

At this point you may want to invest in an owner manual for the basics or a workshop manual for other stuff.

The oil is checked with the bike on level ground on the jiffy stand.

You need to check it after the engine has been running. So after you come back from a ride you put in the garage and leave it ticking over for 20 seconds or so and then switch off. Now you check the oil level. If you check in a few hours time the oil will show as low. If you wait until the next day there will be no oil.

It has been found prudent to not fill to the max but maybe halfway on the dipstick. Over filling a Harley engine is a recipe for oil out of the breather.

When oil and water get beaten together you get a white emulsion. I have found the oil gets aerated so you may also see bubbles in it.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 12-27-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:31 PM
QRUCK
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Checked the wheel bearings and they seem to be fine. I haven't been able to ride it yet due to rain today (and forecasted the next few days). Hoping to take her around the block soon!

Old 12-28-2018, 03:17 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

QRUCK, great job and congratulations! I’m sure your success feels great!

The following users liked this post:
QRUCK (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 02:58 PM
QRUCK
Advanced

It actually didn't rain today and the street dried up so I took it around the neigborhood (didn't film it though) and it ran great! I also just disconnected and cleaned the rear brake light switch and it works now! I'll run it a few more times around the neighborhood and then change oils again then it should be perfect! My total cost for this came to just a hair under $2K(that's cost to purchase bike, new starter, new battery cover fender and title).

Old 12-30-2018, 10:15 AM
QRUCK
Advanced

As suspected, when I checked the oil after the ride around the block it was a nice milky brown and overfilled. Drained it, added more and once it's not raining will take it around the neighborhood again and check. Hopefully it got all the remaining water in the system out.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:20 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by QRUCK
As suspected, when I checked the oil after the ride around the block it was a nice milky brown and overfilled. Drained it, added more and once it's not raining will take it around the neighborhood again and check. Hopefully it got all the remaining water in the system out.
It will probably take more than one drain and refill. Don't take any long rides, just enough to get the engine up to temp, until the oil starts looking better.

The only other way is to disassemble the engine, and ain't nobody got time for that.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:32 AM
Ben221
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 156 Posts

Awesome that it’s on the road. I would recommend trying to get out as much of the old oil as possible. You need to get the oil out of the case by loosening oil lines from the pump or dropping the oil pump to drain the cam chest as it can hold oil that is contaminated.

Buy a a bunch of cheap oil and keep at it. You may find an oil additive to help a little during the process.

QRUCK (01-01-2019)
Old 12-31-2018, 07:41 AM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,475 Likes on 3,899 Posts

Congrats on your first ride , bet that felt great !

QRUCK (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 06:30 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Very good news.
To me, after such projects, when it first cranks it is like the first cry of a new born baby. Sweet!
Maybe after another oil change, it needs to be rode around and get well up to temperature. I would remain local for the mean time just in case something weird comes up.
Also, in the near future, I would replace the brakes, front and rear.
Any bolts or nuts removed need anti seize put on them to resist corrosion from the flood, of course.
Oh, and run a good dose of seafoam thru it when you can.
Congrats, and ride safe!

QRUCK (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 07:01 AM
Andy from Sandy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,734 Likes on 2,399 Posts

Once a new engine has been filled with oil there is a certain amount that never gets drained but mixed with the new at each oil service. As above the only sure way is to do some engine disassembly.

Quick Reply: I'm rebuilding a flooded XL1200C