I'm rebuilding a flooded XL1200C - Page 13 - Harley Davidson Forums

Notices
Harley Davidson Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for videos pertaining to Harleys, Racing (Street/Strip)and motorcycle related Interviews.

I'm rebuilding a flooded XL1200C

Old 01-12-2019, 09:34 AM
QRUCK

72fl I can't seem to find the electrical connection you are referencing but I am going through all connection points and cleaning them as well as I can. I'm sure I will find it shortly. The first video where it starts up sounded a little off since it had water in the sump and that was the first time it had been started since September (or even earlier). I have since run quite a few quarts of oil and purged the system to get as much water out as possible. It sounds normal now.

Hal64hd That is what I ended up doing to get most of the water/oil mix out. There is still a tiny bit that I won't be able to clear out for quite a few more oil changes.

seniorsuperglideE8 Thanks! I'm happy to have it running but want it to warm up a bit so I can ride more often! I also need to find time to make it to the DMV to actually register it so I can ride further than in and around my neighborhood ( I just got the title in last week).

Old 01-12-2019, 12:17 PM
IdahoHacker
Ultimate HDF Member
Thanked 1,115 Times in 781 Posts

Now that you've run some fresh oil through it a few times, the absolute best thing you can do when you ride it is to get the motor and the oil up to full operating temperature.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:20 PM
ironsled

Bro great job
DO NOT use the car motor oil
it will always turn bad milky color
you have to use v-twin motorcycle oil
it is different check it out
that is why your oil is turning color
plus the water factor

Old 01-14-2019, 03:20 AM
Andy from Sandy
Road Captain

Check H D Owners manual. It states you can use other types of oil if H D brand is not available.

Oil usually turns black after a few miles of running as the cleaners and other additives are activated in it.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 01-14-2019 at 03:21 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:16 PM
ironsled

yes 4-stroke MOTORCYCLE OIL

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: