Harley Davidson Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for videos pertaining to Harleys, Racing (Street/Strip)and motorcycle related Interviews.

I'm rebuilding a flooded XL1200C

Old 12-09-2018, 12:21 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,525 Likes on 3,778 Posts

Originally Posted by QRUCK
@RIPSAW tested with the jumper cables, still the same outcome. Engine is turning over if I manually spin wheel. Do you think it could be the starter motor?
When you hit start button, it applies power to a small black relay at the fuse box. It makes a little click. This then sends power to the solenoid on the starter. This kicks out the starter gear and at the same time engages the big 200 AMP contact in the back of the solenoid that turns on starter.
That click sounds like your solenoid is moving I think, so it is not rusted fast. My guess is it is the starter. Possible to probably take it all apart and clean it up. Possible it is full of water. Not sure how.

Not telling you do do this, but If it were me, I would bump back tire with starter hit hoping it would free starter with wheel. Plugs out and wires grounded. In low gear, so the starter will not turn the wheel fast if it starts up. The wheel has to be bumped right direction since starter sprag clutch rolls gear out the wrong direction which is how it works to protect starter if someone holds button after motor starts.. Not sure which direction. Be careful.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 12-09-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:52 PM
QRUCK
Advanced
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Decided to call it a weekend. Will get to the bike again next weekend (possibly during the week if time allows).

Old 12-09-2018, 05:14 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Unplug that hydraulic brake light switch plug and just jump the plug with a wire to make sure that hydraulic switch is bad. They usually last 30K. Never had one go on a car but Harley's are not quality there. Mine is the 3rd and I got it at Advance with a lifetime warranty.

Do you have a switch at the stand or a clutch neutral start switch? I would not think it would do anything but before you tear down, pull in the clutch, still in neutral and get stand up and try the starter.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:25 PM
QRUCK
Advanced

@RIPSAW When I had the rear wheel up earlier I made sure to have the stand up and it was still the same problem. I just went out after reading your comment to try neutral, clutch in and stand up, still the same click. I'll be doing research all week to figure out a few different things it could be but I'm sure I will have to pull the primary cover and see what is going on with the starter.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:35 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Probably looks similar. Start switch and relay are in 10 wire circuit

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 12-09-2018 at 05:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
QRUCK (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 06:02 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,475 Likes on 3,899 Posts

I just stumbled across your thread just now . I must say I'm totally hooked on this thread now . My hat is off to you for taking on a project like this . As mentioned above your starter relay should click when you press the start button . If it does then I would check your connector and all the wiring going down to the starter for corrosion and make sure all is clean . If all looks good then I would guess your solenoid is your issue . You may want to remove it and check it on a bench using cables ( hold on tight ) . Good luck , and I'm looking forward to seeing that bike hit the road again !

QRUCK (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 06:05 PM
MyFavRk
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,475 Likes on 3,899 Posts

I see your in good hands , so I'm going to subscribe . Anticipating the start up !

QRUCK (12-09-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 07:49 AM
QRUCK
Advanced

Watching this video below makes me think it could be (just) wiring.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:05 PM
QRUCK
Advanced

Well, I tried cleaning the connections I could find....no dice. Will probably take the primary cover off next time I work on it to see what it's doing then either replace or (hopefully) find the issue.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:30 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by QRUCK
Well, I tried cleaning the connections I could find....no dice. Will probably take the primary cover off next time I work on it to see what it's doing then either replace or (hopefully) find the issue.

https://youtu.be/DznRtJLrZ9U
Its the starter, not in the primary. Not sure if primary cover needs to come off a sporty like my Softail. Newer big twins do not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm rebuilding a flooded XL1200C