Harley Davidson Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for videos pertaining to Harleys, Racing (Street/Strip)and motorcycle related Interviews.

Why Did The Harley Riders Drive Off a Cliff?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 03:43 PM
One Wire
Road Captain

Received 359 Likes on 212 Posts

Ouch. Definitely looks like the second guy turned his head to see what happened to his buddy, and where you look, the bike will follow.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:51 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,044 Likes on 4,356 Posts

I don't know what the first guy did, but the 2nd dufus appeared to look right to see what happened and went right, over the side.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:38 PM
stoneybagger
Elite HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 315 Posts
Old 03-05-2019, 03:56 PM
soldierbot
POD Squad
Received 90,175 Likes on 23,239 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
I'll try, the first guy pulling over to let the faster bikes pass, didn't realize the pavement ended at the fog line (white line) the second guy in wrong gear possibly looked over his right shoulder to see what his buddy just did and also ran out of road. Just my guess. My BIL just about did the same crap on Iron mountain Rd. south of Keystone, S.D. Climbing a switchback, two up and trying to lug it going up hill, just barely made it.
I think you nailed the reason. Poor bastids didn't notice this was a very bad spot to pull over and let them pass.

Old 03-12-2019, 02:20 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 6,629 Likes on 3,213 Posts

Or my personal favorite, the one you always see in motorcycle for sale ads, "No time to ride". Why do so many folks suddenly become extremely busy after buying a bike?

The following 2 users liked this post by Dynamick:
Campy Roadie (03-13-2019), Greezey Rider (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 03:47 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,493 Likes on 1,073 Posts

"I hit that hole and tried to correct".....What hole? Oh, You mean the rough edge of the pavement that no one in his right mind would get near?
Typical "Walter Mitty douchebag"......I can't stand those idiots.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (03-13-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 04:25 PM
BluesStringer
Road Master

Received 690 Likes on 367 Posts

Personally, I don't understand the apparent anger towards people who fell down. They don't cost me extra insurance charges. I buy either the minimum or maximum that I can afford as I see fit. Higher deductibles = less coverage for property losses. Lower deductibles = more coverage. What I'm willing to pay for better coverage is what makes my bill go up. Two riders putting their bikes in a ditch = nothing to me. They're either paying the right amount to their own insurance companies to cover their losses, or they're not, and if they're not, it costs the insurance company no more to pay on property damages than it would cost if an uninsured motorist blew a red light and hit 'em and the riders hadn't paid for the uninsured motorist coverage. In other words, not one thin dime more because they didn't pay for the added coverage of the true "idiots" (uninsured motorists) that cause injury and property loss to bikers in much greater numbers than bikers cause to themselves.

Clearly these two riders were 100% at fault for their own loss. They didn't hurt anyone but themselves, and it didn't appear that any "hurt" was suffered in a physical sense anyway, just (possibly) to their property.

It never ceases to amaze me how much some people want to control other people over victimless transgressions when those "transgressions" are really nothing more than acting differently than the people who want to deny them a motorcycle license, or institute more government-mandated safety training well beyond what all the cagers get in high school driver's ed. I ride because I love freedom. I never argue to reduce someone else's freedom to enjoy the same thing(s) that I exercise the freedom to enjoy. I don't feel particularly bad for these guys. I just don't take their carelessness as a personal affront to me, or feel the need to make up myths about how a simple accident like that is why my insurance rates are "high" (or whatever). I really don't get the general tenor of this thread.

Blues

Last edited by BluesStringer; 03-12-2019 at 04:27 PM.
tyson.hayes87 (04-14-2019)
Old 03-18-2019, 08:51 AM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,650 Likes on 6,279 Posts

The video should be titled "tweedle dee and tweedle dumb go for a ride". Looks like neither of them were injured so that's good.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:03 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,065 Likes on 614 Posts

I remember seeing this video before. If memory serves this was on the dragon or in that area. I cannot tell even in slow what the first guy was doing. We don't have a good view of him until is front tire is already too far gone. I believe the second guy looked, but if you watch closely, it really looks to me like he intentionally pulled off. I think he was trying to get pulled over to the side to stop and help his buddy but misjudged the drop.

The first rider look visibly shaken. Hopefully no one was seriously injured. We all make mistakes. I was taught very young there are only 2 types of riders. Those that have been down and those that will. I still think everyone should have to take some time off road on a dirt bike. That is where you really learn how to crash.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:16 AM
slw210
Road Warrior

Received 901 Likes on 575 Posts

If you slow down the video, you can just see as the Harleys come into view, both bikes (best I can tell) are nearly side by side and it seems the bike near the center line jerked over causing the one near the edge of the road to get too close to the edge of the road and hit the sharp drop off and go over (he must have thought that was a hole), the second guy tried to pull over and went too far. These guys should not have been side by side, lesson learned the hard way I guess. Definitely one reason why you never ride to the right of the lane or side by side.

Last edited by slw210; 03-18-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Why Did The Harley Riders Drive Off a Cliff?