Harley Davidson Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for videos pertaining to Harleys, Racing (Street/Strip)and motorcycle related Interviews.

Commuting to work on a motorcycle, pros & cons!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 06:27 AM
Bass Player
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,925 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Pros: you get to do what you bought the bike for, to ride. On the way home take a longer ride and blow the snot out of your head after a crappy day at work.

Con: you might get wet if an unforseen rain blows in. If you pay attention to the weather that shouldn't happen to often. Little rain never hurt anyone.

Oh, why not take a clean shirt with you? Your co-workers probably would appreciate it.

The following users liked this post:
agueybana (07-07-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 09:42 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
Pros
Save Gas
Use Commute lane and N/C in fee lanes in some states
You won't need a psychiatrist
Less stress, ride condition yellow, relaxed awareness.
You just feel better about everything
Parking is not an issue and free in many places

Cons
You'll take the longest way home
I retired a year ago July. I commuted about 31 miles each way for 40 years. As a salesman, when I needed to take customers to lunch or shipyards, or to the docks, I drove my car. In winter, rain, snow, I drove my car. Car got about 28mpg average.

My commute was 1/2 freeway at 70+ then arterials, or a scenic thoroughfare. Basically from outside North Bend, Wa to Bellevue.

I used two bikes to commute. As gas taxes drove prices higher and congestion made traveling more scientific. Also, as work changed, we as an industry did not take people to lunch as often, usually only when factory people came to visit. That freed me to ride.

My '96 XL883 was a perfect commute motorcycle. Washington allows motorcycles to use the commute lanes and even provides a free pass for the fee lanes. Why, it was safer. I took my Road King when I needed to make calls outside Seattle. The sporty was perfect for running across the bridge and making calls in Seattle. I always found free parking for my sporty. I used my Road King for outside Seattle, especially trips to Canada and customers north of Everett, or on the Olympic or Kitsap Peninsula and anywhere on the coast from Eureka to Port Townsend. Being able to use the commute lanes actually made it faster and safer in the urban hwys where commute and fee lanes had been added. One nice thing about commuter lanes, fewer people using their phones.

Since Washington passed two laws, driving got worse. The no cellphone law is ignored by everyone including the police. And like it or not, legalizing marijuana just added to our DUI problems, only now, at 5:30 AM we have impaired drivers. Let me just say, the Seattle area has a LOT of pot heads in all walks of life. Even the ones who think they are okay are dangerous to motorcyclists. I have many friends who smoke dope and I willnot ride with them anymore. Too many close calls.

agueybana (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 10:23 AM
Daddy454
Road Master
Received 316 Likes on 144 Posts

Pros-You'll be on your bike.
Cons-

agueybana (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 03:41 PM
agueybana
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood
If you have to ask then you need to sell the bike. You obviously don't get it.
Agreed

Old 06-17-2019, 06:05 AM
agueybana
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Daddy454
Pros-You'll be on your bike.
Cons-
I can not arguing your statement!

Old 06-17-2019, 06:25 AM
Tonebender
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,341 Likes on 3,310 Posts

I used to do it back in the day but I do not like to ride in downtown Tampa. They call it malfunction junction for a reason. I will probably work a part time job in the little town that I live in once I retire next year and I will commute on the bike weather permitting. Here in Florida this time of year it is beautiful in the morning and serious rain and lightning storms in the afternoon at quitting time, not a good ride home.

agueybana (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 06:57 AM
auburntsts
Cruiser

Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonebender
I used to do it back in the day but I do not like to ride in downtown Tampa. They call it malfunction junction for a reason. I will probably work a part time job in the little town that I live in once I retire next year and I will commute on the bike weather permitting. Here in Florida this time of year it is beautiful in the morning and serious rain and lightning storms in the afternoon at quitting time, not a good ride home.
My ride to work is 28 miles one way (Ruskin to MacDill AFB and I go thru downtown Tampa). It's multi-lane roads for the most part that can get up to highway speeds at times but lots of traffic lights and lots of traffic which translates to stop-n-go particularity in the afternoon. I like to try and ride the bike in 2-3 times a week, but that's highly variable. The weather is a factor but other things, like needing to stop at a store for something that can't fit in a backpack, or I've got someplace to be after work and don't want to go dripping in sweat factor in to the decision.

agueybana (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 07:17 AM
coach127
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I ride 27 miles each way 5 days per week. On the way to work a short hop on the interstate and then a nice ride through the country side her in North Texas the rest of the way. Get to watch the sun come up most mornings. After a long day in the classroom a nice ride out to the interstate and fly home. I am always rejuvenated by the time I get home. Summer heat is never a problem and the cold I can dress for. My first choice is always the bike it just makes me feel alive.

agueybana (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 11:51 AM
BelchFire
Received 5,156 Likes on 1,947 Posts

37 miles one way; been doing it for 32 years. After all that time on the road, I'm sick of asphalt, so it makes sense to ride back/to on the bike, otherwise, I'd be leaving the house just to ride.

Pros:
You're on the bike; it's why you bought it.
Spring and Fall; cool in the mornings, decent in the evenings.
You're on the bike!
Summer; can be cool or warm in the mornings; both are good for riding.
You're on the bike!
44 mpg
Pipes, brother; PIPES!

Cons:
Summer; most often HOT in the evenings.
Winter; can be 60°F in the afternoons, can be 20°F in the mornings; watch the weather and take your chances.

agueybana (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 01:56 PM
RedOregon
Tourer

Received 125 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
If your commute isn't long enough to allow your bike to get to full operating temp, such as a 8.5 miler, then it is adding wear and tear... the water that doesn't get burned off....
Aaaaamen to that! Rode my Sporty to work for a brief period of 20 degree weather in Korea, and it was only a couple miles. Ice built up in the tranny, and let's just say that replacing a shifter cam follower, in Korea, in an auto hobby shop with no specialized tools, in the middle of the winter, is NOT fun.

Make sure and take your scoot out on long runs on a regular basis to be sure to get her up to full operating temperature.

agueybana (06-17-2019)

Quick Reply: Commuting to work on a motorcycle, pros & cons!