Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Harley Davidson Videos (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/harley-davidson-videos-25/)
-   -   Using my camera on the HD (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/harley-davidson-videos/1292070-using-my-camera-on-the-hd.html)

David Rose 07-11-2019 10:20 AM

Using my camera on the HD

I've been using an ABTO G1s camera on my bike for about the past 5 years, it's not the greatest quality but it's more than adequate for an amateur like me!
I have been trying to mount it in different positions, and with different mounts, on my Sportster, not easy with the handlebars shaped as they are so I got a mirror mounted RAM Ball system. Also tried my old mount.
This video is a comparison of using the same camera on the HONDA CTX1300 and my Harley XL1200T Sportster. I haven't quite finished with the decision as to where to mount it but I think I'm going to move it so the camera is on the mirror mount but behind the windshield, despite catching some reflection.

Feedback would be welcomed.
Cheers
Dave

ScottinAZ 07-11-2019 04:13 PM

ok. Here are my thoughts. I use a GoPro Hero7 Black, and the main reason is the built in stabilization that it does. I dont know the exact mechanism used but it gives VERY smooth video, even rigidly mounted to the bike. I place mine on the fairing next to the windshield for good visibility. With your camera, you may consider trying a helmet mount or something other than rigidly mounted to the bike, as even when stopped, I could detect the engine vibrations coming through the camera. The issues with vibration are that its distracting, and takes away from the "experience" and makes it a bit harder to watch. Same thing with looking through a windscreen, any reflection will distract from what you are trying to show.

Dont get me wrong, Im far from a professional, but there are things out there that can make a better video nearly effortless.

David Rose 07-12-2019 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by ScottinAZ (Post 18392714)
ok. Here are my thoughts. I use a GoPro Hero7 Black, and the main reason is the built in stabilization that it does. I dont know the exact mechanism used but it gives VERY smooth video, even rigidly mounted to the bike. I place mine on the fairing next to the windshield for good visibility. With your camera, you may consider trying a helmet mount or something other than rigidly mounted to the bike, as even when stopped, I could detect the engine vibrations coming through the camera. The issues with vibration are that its distracting, and takes away from the "experience" and makes it a bit harder to watch. Same thing with looking through a windscreen, any reflection will distract from what you are trying to show.

Dont get me wrong, Im far from a professional, but there are things out there that can make a better video nearly effortless.

Well now, that is intereesting. The reason I did the comparison was I noticed how good the videos were from 'Itchy Boots' and she used a GoPro Hero7 Black, must look into the cost of them although the ABTO has been a good camera it does give a 'fish eye' lens look to the films at the edges.
I agree with everything you've said except I'm not keen on helmet mount although there are some real advantages to it so I will look at that while looking at the GoPro.
I do have a lot of videos on my YouTube channel (djrose007), you might have noticed the bit where I was going over Vauxhall Bridge in London. That building on the left is the Secret Service building featured in few of the later Bond movies. I just love all things Bond (except the Roger Moore era of films!).

ScottinAZ 07-12-2019 11:24 AM

The Hero7 Black is IIRC the only one that has the built in "Hypersmooth" stabilization mode. I just have mine on a sticky mount on the fairing next to the windshield, and even with the camera visibly vibrating, the video can compensate for it. You can see my videos here on this page, I always have the stabilization on. it really helps. Im not gonna lie, the GoPro is damn expensive (about 400 USD), but for a good stable video, it was worth it.

I was mostly recommending a helmet mount for yours because then, being attached to you, it would isolate from the vibration that you have coming from the bike. Its not a panacea but it would help some I think.

David Rose 07-13-2019 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by ScottinAZ (Post 18394627)
I was mostly recommending a helmet mount for yours because then, being attached to you, it would isolate from the vibration that you have coming from the bike. Its not a panacea but it would help some I think.

I've taken your advice and ordered a helmet mount, it's from China so hope it's ok!! Difficult to find one for my camera with a simple threaded hole for a tripod but this one was advertised as for GoPro/Sony/SJCam/Garmin. I asked the question and they came back pretty quickly explaining that the mount is as shown in the advert but it can be used with mounts for any of those 4 cameras. I'm pretty glad about that as they actually showed it being used with the ABTO camera that I use, a pretty big clue but I'm wary of China products so had to be certain.
I'll report on how good, or bad, it is when it arrives.
Cheers
Dave
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camera-He...72.m2749.l2649

470004 07-20-2019 01:15 PM

Thanks for sharing.