HDForums Mascot Find out how to be part of the mascot's travels here.

Where is the mascot now? (Updated 2020-09-22)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: where is the mascot now?

I agree Heather. My first choice would not be to mail it and I think we have a good chance of getting it to Daytona in time for the Rally. After that we have time to pass it along to Myrtle Beach and then to Illinois for the Midwest Rally. At the Rally in Effingham, IL we can pass it back to some one heading to an area that was missed due to the bad weather this winter. We will get it back on track if everyone just calms down. I've had at least 25 pms and e mails about this over the last two days. I don't have the time to be the mascot honcho. We can't make all the rallies every year so there is no use in trying.

[sm=headbang.gif]

Old 02-14-2006, 09:14 PM
BlackOak
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am leaving Memphis on the 3rd and going Key West, then up to Daytona @ the 6th. If I can help anything along, let me know.

BlackOak
MidSouth BackRoads

Old 02-14-2006, 11:52 PM
SKJOLD
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still agree that the Mascot should only be moved from bike to bike. To mail it or drive it would destroy the spirit of the Mascot. I still want to pass it around like we have always done. All I am asking is that we do it in such a way, that it also makes its way to the major rallies so more members can sign it. If we continue the way we have been doing it, only 52 members per year will get to sign or carry it. We now have over 8000 members and growing. At the rallies, at least more people will have access to it. This should not have been a hurry up and get it to Daytona situation. I have been trying to plan this since November. It is just that nobody has really been the final authority or planner as to where it will go. For the longest time there was no real organization and the Mascot kinda became stagnent over the past 2 months. What we need is a dedicated Moderator for the Mascot Forums, or some sort of official Mascot coordinator who can plan, coordinate, and track the mascot movements and will be responsible to see that as many people get an opportunity to carry it as possible. With a little organiation, we can have hundreds of people per year carrying the mascot.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:58 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

>The way it looks now, if the handoff from Skos to Ken occurs, this weekend, we will need Ken to pass of to Mac11 the same day.

This is really very doable...we're not talking about great distances here. Too bad we have to rely on weekends because just about all this week it's been great but by Saturday morning the forecast is calling for snow/rain and temps in the low 30's. We'l do the best we can. Ken

Old 02-15-2006, 01:03 PM
FreedmRider
Road Captain

Bill Nourse and Mikeeeee said it best. The true spirit of the mascot is to pass it from rider to rider, not mail it to some location just because there is a rally or event. It has been obvious over the past year that it is difficult at times to get it moving. The bottom line is that if someone wants the mascot then they can go get it or coordinate with the current holder to meet somewhere in between. There is no pre-determine order, there is no dibs on it. If you want it go and get it, meet some one from the forum, share some stories and photos with the rest of us. Not trying to insult anyone but having a ton of members names on it as a result of mailing it takes away from the mascot and all the folks who have ridden the miles to get their name on it. Well that’s my ½ a cent.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:33 PM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a suggestion. I do agree that it should not be a race to get it around the country. And also believe it should be passed from bike to bike. However, think about it….there is no way everyone will ever get to pass or carry the mascot. There are just too many members. Having to Mascot at events like Daytona, Sturgis, Myrtle Beach and the Mini Rally in Effingham would give a lot of member a chance to sign it even if they never get to carry it. It is still in the spirit of the mascot as the members are gathering and meeting and sharing a good time in order to sign the mascot. I think in the case of these events it would be okay to mail the mascot to someone who would be able to make sure it was there and organize a time for all the members at the event to meet and sign it, take some pics, etc. Then it could be mailed back to the place it was prior to the event to continue being carried from member to member via bike. That way no one gets missed but the mascot is still present at the rallies/events. What do you all think?
[sm=chairshot.gif]HEATHER!! - any questions on what I think?[sm=escape.gif]

Old 02-15-2006, 08:36 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: molsenice

I have a suggestion. I do agree that it should not be a race to get it around the country. And also believe it should be passed from bike to bike. However, think about it….there is no way everyone will ever get to pass or carry the mascot. There are just too many members. Having to Mascot at events like Daytona, Sturgis, Myrtle Beach and the Mini Rally in Effingham would give a lot of member a chance to sign it even if they never get to carry it. It is still in the spirit of the mascot as the members are gathering and meeting and sharing a good time in order to sign the mascot. I think in the case of these events it would be okay to mail the mascot to someone who would be able to make sure it was there and organize a time for all the members at the event to meet and sign it, take some pics, etc. Then it could be mailed back to the place it was prior to the event to continue being carried from member to member via bike. That way no one gets missed but the mascot is still present at the rallies/events. What do you all think?
[sm=chairshot.gif]HEATHER!! - any questions on what I think?[sm=escape.gif]

Oh why not! Go ahead Fran....tell me what you think.

Old 02-16-2006, 01:10 AM
molsenice
Ultimate HDF Member

If it get's mailed, OUT comes "Ralph the wonder Eagle"

Old 02-19-2006, 01:13 AM
itsahog
Cruiser

I vote no mail....ever. [sm=badidea.gif] It would become worthless if rides on anything but a Harley Davidson IMO. Riding a HD is what it represents. I would love to have the opportunity to carry it someday. Imagine after generations, and never been transported on anything but a HD.
[sm=trust_me.gif]

Old 02-19-2006, 10:49 AM
CRASH
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: SKJOLD

Myrtle Beach is in May, so we have some time to maybe hit Alabama, and Georgia, before getting it to SC for Myrtle Beach. Then I was thinking of moving it north through New England a bit and then west through Penn, Ohio, etc. and then hit the Midwest Rally...
Hey, like I said earlier, I'll be in Myrtle Beach for Bike Week and would be happy to help get the Mascot up north and then headed either further north or out west bytaking it at least as far as Ohio...

Quick Reply: Where is the mascot now? (Updated 2020-09-22)