HDForums Mascot Find out how to be part of the mascot's travels here.

Mascot's 2013 Travels Map & Trails overview

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 07:06 AM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by glideridemike
Nowwww, what would be even cooler is to have a huge get together, a yearly thing, somewhere in the middle of the country, which I believe is somewhere in northern Kansas.
Great idea, Mike!
We did it twice over here in Europe:

2012:

2013:

Old 10-22-2013, 08:30 AM
LeadSSled
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I took a half a vacation day yesterday afternoon to take the mascot on a 130-mile ride. My wife and I went to the awesome riding road known as the "Devil's Triangle" on Rt. 116 north of Oliver Springs, TN. In my opinion, this is a much better (and more technical/harder) riding road than the more famous Tail of the Dragon and has less than 10% of the Dragon's traffic. There is a great photo op at the western end of the Triangle in Petros, TN - the historic Brushy Mountain State Prison. The prison was in operation from 1896 to 2009 when it was replaced with a more modern facility on the opposite side of the mountain ridge. MLK Jr's assassin James Earl Ray was incarcerated here and died in prison in 1998. There are plans to turn it into a distillery/bed and breakfast/tourist destination if the county voters pass the referendum vote in 2 weeks. This is a dry county and the law would have to be changed to allow the distillery. But it would mean new jobs and an influx of tourist dollars to a rural and economically depressed area. It is simply beautiful up there, full of awesome people, and it would be great to make good use of this historic site to share it with others.

While at the prison, we took photos with the mascot first at the main entrance sign, then moved back to the perimeter fence hoping to get a shot with the building. The main prison building is pretty far back from the fence and there are other structures between them. As we were looking for the best spot for a photo, a gentleman who had been locking the gate approached us to say hello. We explained the story of the HDForums mascot and that we were photographing it at notable area points of interest. We asked for a recommendation of the best angle for a shot including the building. We learned that he is also a rider and he said, "Put that flag back in your saddlebag. I'll open the gate and you can follow me back to the prison." How cool is that? I've never been allowed inside the gate before.

We followed him into the complex and took some photos in front of the main building. At his suggestion we also got photos of the mascot on top of one of the guard towers overlooking the prison yard. This fellow rider was a great guy - very hospitable and helpful. He asked that he not be mentioned by name or included in the photos because we really were not supposed to be inside the fence. It was a great surprise and just one more instance where fellow bikers help each other out. On behalf of the HDForums I extend a hearty thank you to this kind gentleman!

Here are the pics from Brushy Mountain. I hope for some more photo ops before handing off the mascot to the next courier.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:00 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Good job & nice story, Terry. Thanks for sharing!

Edit: I just did a search at YouTube for the Devil's Triangle Rt. 116 and found some videos. Awesome route to travel, Terry!

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 10-22-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:34 AM
LeadSSled
Road Captain

On Sunday 10/27 I took the mascot for a ride over the Tail of the Dragon and a portion of the Foothills Parkway. As I was solo, I relied on the generosity of other riders to help me get the pics. Everyone that I asked was more than willing to help. Riders are the best people!

These two photos were taken at Smoky Mountain Harley Davidson's Dragon Outpost on the TN end of the Tail of the Dragon. The rider that took these for me said that he is a forum member and would look for the pics. I neglected to ask his name/forum name but if if he checks in here - thanks again for your help!

The following pics were taken at Deal's Gap on the NC end of the TOD. Once again, other riders helped me with the photos. Of course, the requisite photo with the "Tree of Shame" was part of the agenda.

On the way home from the TOD, I took a detour over the scenic Foothills Parkway in east TN. This is a beautiful road.

I will be working over the next week or two to move the mascot southward for the winter. Tentative plans are to hand-off to Mr. Wizard so he can get it to the Atlanta area. Timing and details of the hand-off are yet to be worked out but will be posted when finalized.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:29 PM
LeadSSled
Road Captain

I'm working with Mr. Wizard for a hand-off to get the mascot to the Atlanta area. We have some scheduling issues to work around for the next several days. But if the weather cooperates, we are scheduled to meet at Thunder Creek HD in Chattanooga, TN the afternoon of Sunday November 10th for the hand-off. Mr. Wiz will then work on getting the mascot further south for the winter.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:02 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Outstanding!!

Old 11-10-2013, 05:29 PM
LeadSSled
Road Captain

The mascot hand-off to Mr.Wizard took place today shortly after Noon at Thunder Creek HD in Chattanooga, TN. I trust that by now Mr. Wizard has the mascot safely home in Atlanta. It was great to meet you and your riding buddies, Dave!

Old 11-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

Yep

Hand off complete and safe in Atlanta. Will start making plans to keep it moving around in Atlanta for a while then head it south.

Good to meet you guys and glad you made it back home safe and sound.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:18 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

You guys are great....and still riding....makes me jealous...lol. Enjoy!

Old 11-10-2013, 07:39 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,035 Likes on 1,103 Posts

With heated gear you can continue to ride. Gerbing is my best friend...

Quick Reply: Mascot's 2013 Travels Map & Trails overview