Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Sputtering, coughing and smoking nightster

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 07:59 PM
urfavoritewpn
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputtering, coughing and smoking nightster

Ok, so I took my 2009 Nightster out and it ran fine. The next day I take it out and it runs fine for about 10 min. on the road then at stop lights starts sputtering. After that it starts sputtering at highway speeds and losing power and then gaining it like it's surging. Finally it dies at a stop sign. I'm able to ride it back home and after that it never runs right again. I start it up, it backfires black smoke.

My first thought was bad gas since it had been sitting for a while with ethanol gas in it so I drain the tank and then put non-ethonal gas in it with some sea foam. Still runs terribly. I haven't been able to take it out of the garage because it keeps dying right after start up. It will run then start backfiring black smoke and finally die with a puff of white smoke out of the air cleaner. I just replaced the battery because I heard these issues occur with a weak battery (it did finally die so it needed on) but still same issues. Tonight a flame shot out of the air cleaner. If anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate your input!

Does have a DK air cleaner, drag pipes and x14ied

Old 10-07-2014, 11:09 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by urfavoritewpn
Ok, so I took my 2009 Nightster out and it ran fine. The next day I take it out and it runs fine for about 10 min. on the road then at stop lights starts sputtering. After that it starts sputtering at highway speeds and losing power and then gaining it like it's surging. Finally it dies at a stop sign. I'm able to ride it back home and after that it never runs right again. I start it up, it backfires black smoke.

My first thought was bad gas since it had been sitting for a while with ethanol gas in it so I drain the tank and then put non-ethonal gas in it with some sea foam. Still runs terribly. I haven't been able to take it out of the garage because it keeps dying right after start up. It will run then start backfiring black smoke and finally die with a puff of white smoke out of the air cleaner. I just replaced the battery because I heard these issues occur with a weak battery (it did finally die so it needed on) but still same issues. Tonight a flame shot out of the air cleaner. If anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate your input!

Does have a DK air cleaner, drag pipes and x14ied
Any kind of tuning device?

Old 10-07-2014, 09:19 PM
urfavoritewpn
Novice

The only thing on it is the X14ied

Old 10-08-2014, 08:18 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

can you verify if any codes are present on the bike please?

Old 10-08-2014, 05:53 PM
urfavoritewpn
Novice

it's throwing P0131 and P0151 right now but I've read that those are common with the x14ied's and shouldn't be causing the issue.

Old 10-08-2014, 05:58 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

is the check engine light staying on? if so that is not normal.

if the CEL is not on and those codes are historic, you can safely clear them out.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:38 PM
urfavoritewpn
Novice

No CEL or codes other than that one. Thanks for the inputs. Hopefully I'll be able to narrow it down. I just put some more fresh gas in it with sea foam. Hoping that'll help. It doesn't stay running long. I try to give it gas to keep it alive at idle. It just backfires and coughs and almost dies then will kick up into more sputtering. Sometimes when I give it gas it completely goes quiet and then dies with a puff of smoke out of the air intake.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:41 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by urfavoritewpn
No CEL or codes other than that one. Thanks for the inputs. Hopefully I'll be able to narrow it down. I just put some more fresh gas in it with sea foam. Hoping that'll help. It doesn't stay running long. I try to give it gas to keep it alive at idle. It just backfires and coughs and almost dies then will kick up into more sputtering. Sometimes when I give it gas it completely goes quiet and then dies with a puff of smoke out of the air intake.
odd that it's not throwing other codes.

check the pintel hole in the top of the throttle body. open the throttle blade and prop it open with a screw driver handle. put a rag in the bottom of the throttle body and spray carb cleaner in that little hole (pintel) in the top of the TB til it runs clear