Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Can somone look at my log? - Knock problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 11:40 AM
Chris07
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can somone look at my log? - Knock problem

2014 Breakout, AC, Short Shots, Power Vision tuner. I have been watching my knock real time and I see some weird things happening when cruising freeway. Crisp cool air, engine temps just above 200*, AFR averaging around 14.4 and I see crazy knock. Most of the time its on the front cylinder only, but randomly it moves to the rear cylinder, but most always goes away after another 10mins of riding on the rear. I have seen as high as 11* on front cylinder. I hear no pinging! Its killing my timing. I know the 14-15 bikes handle knock a little different but its obvious its pulling a lot of timing and I don't know why. I really wonder if its real knock? Throw more fuel in the cruise range? Its set for 14.2 now. I'm close to turning off the adaptive system all together.

Attached Thumbnails Can somone look at my log? - Knock problem-log.jpg  
Old 05-01-2015, 11:44 AM
Chris07
Novice

well great, you can't see the picture because the board resized it too small!

Old 05-01-2015, 07:24 PM
mirrmu
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Check spark plug gap, swap them around, probably not ideal going richer than 14.2

Then if you can record rpm and map or tp of when it happens so you can add fuel with VE or reduce timing in right location

I remember when first got PV for stage 1 bike and logged, i got 400 knock events on one of cyclinders, couldnt here anything, adjusted plugs and it removed most of it

Try posting pic with photobucket

Old 05-02-2015, 11:52 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris07
2014 Breakout, AC, Short Shots, Power Vision tuner. I have been watching my knock real time and I see some weird things happening when cruising freeway. Crisp cool air, engine temps just above 200*, AFR averaging around 14.4 and I see crazy knock. Most of the time its on the front cylinder only, but randomly it moves to the rear cylinder, but most always goes away after another 10mins of riding on the rear. I have seen as high as 11* on front cylinder. I hear no pinging! Its killing my timing. I know the 14-15 bikes handle knock a little different but its obvious its pulling a lot of timing and I don't know why. I really wonder if its real knock? Throw more fuel in the cruise range? Its set for 14.2 now. I'm close to turning off the adaptive system all together.
If you can post the actual CSV file I can look at it. You can change the file extension to .docx and tell in the forum post what it actually is. Probably not going to be over 2 and I have learned to leave 2 or below alone.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:12 PM
Chris07
Novice

Originally Posted by ke5rbd
If you can post the actual CSV file I can look at it. You can change the file extension to .docx and tell in the forum post what it actually is. Probably not going to be over 2 and I have learned to leave 2 or below alone.

Here is the docx file. Change extent back to CSV after download

Attached Files
File Type: docx
log0001.docx (23.7 KB, 84 views)
Old 05-04-2015, 02:14 PM
Chris07
Novice

Originally Posted by mirrmu
Check spark plug gap, swap them around, probably not ideal going richer than 14.2

Then if you can record rpm and map or tp of when it happens so you can add fuel with VE or reduce timing in right location

I remember when first got PV for stage 1 bike and logged, i got 400 knock events on one of cyclinders, couldnt here anything, adjusted plugs and it removed most of it

Try posting pic with photobucket

What is proper gap? Is it different for 14-13 bikes? Edit, never mind its in my owners manual

Last edited by Chris07; 05-04-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:49 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris07
What is proper gap? Is it different for 14-13 bikes? Edit, never mind its in my owners manual
Proper gap would be .038" to .040" and use either stock plugs or Goldline's until figure out what is wrong.
I looked at the log and am not sure if can tell what is causing this. You don't have it in autotune mode do you or have the Autotune Pro set up. I haven't seen the AFR 1 and AFR 2 before. You had cut the top gauge descriptions off and only had the knocks listed. Need to see more. Need an area that is running right to compare the spark knock too and see what is different. It may simply be too lean, but can't tell and VE's don't show it. Turn on all the gauges and send another log with normal range of rpms. It will record for long time without running out of memory. Don't have in autotune mode either. I will say the AFR's were pretty lean and the Set Lambda shows it is in open loop with .965. The timing and VE's are pretty normal for this rpm range. No way it should be showing any Spark Knock. Check the plug wires for nicks or bad rubs. Also make sure they are plugged in good and the boots click on. If anything is in the boot need to clean it out or replace the plug wires. have seen an over load of Dielectric grease in boots and caused the same issue. Should be nothing at all in there. Also saw set of plugs that were dipped in Antiseize that did same thing. If antiseize is on the sealing ring of the plug too much, or any on the end exposed to the combustion chamber that won't work either. Antiseize is good insulator and won't burn off in the combustion chamber. If all that is ok you may want to get fuel pressure checked at that speed. IF low fuel pressure it will be causing popping and other bad things. Check the vacuum cap on top of the throttle body also. It will make it too lean, but that is not likely the issue. If you need I can send you my email in a PM as it is difficult sending the CSV's as they can get too large very easily.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:16 AM
Chris07
Novice

I will try to get a better log. I have wide band, that's why you have the afr channels :-). I'm set to 14.2 afr in my cruise range and steadily going richer to 12.8 as throttle gets to wide open. Running 14.4 on average in cruise range in that log I sent. I have close loop turned on for range 14.2-15.0. That might be leaning it out a bit. I will turn closed loop off, but even at 14.4, that is rich enough not to cause knock at steady cruise especially in cool weather. I pulled the plugs gap was spot on. I think I will just buy another set and put in. if I'm still experiencing the nick after new plugs I'll richen cruise range to 13.8 and make sure closed loop is turned off.