Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

missfire, back-fire, stall's and clouds of smoke

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:18 AM
BmanRRT
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default missfire, back-fire, stall's and clouds of smoke

Hi Everyone, please forgive me if this has already been discussed, I searched threw as much as I could and I did not find anything though. I have a custom softail with a S&S 96cu Evo and a S&S super G carb. I was out riding and it started sputtering on me so I got it back home but I can't seem to find the problem. I thought at 1st it was the carb so I cleaned it out and replaced the diaphragm in the accelerator pump. Ive also replaced the plugs and the coil at this point. Here is what the bike is doing now; It will start and idle perfectly even rev up, but after it has been running for about 1-2 min it will stall or if I rev it up it misfires/ backfires and pops, then stalls. Sometimes a cloud of smoke will pop out of the carb after the bike has been off for several seconds (~20-45) and it may fire off a backfire too. Anyone have any Idea's? Somebody told me to replace the intake manifold gaskets but that doesn't add up. The bike was built in 2002 fyi. Any advise would be appreciated.