Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2002 FLHTCU No Heat Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 11:37 AM
SPYDERMANN22
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 FLHTCU No Heat Sensor

I recently purchased a beautiful 2002 FLHTCU - Carb model.
Previous owner stated that the motor would shut down while riding, very intermittent, he suggested the bank/angle sensor.
One of the local dealers here stated the 2002 doesn't have this sensor.

I read a thread here on hdforums, several people had the Heat Sensor start to fail and cause this intermittent issue. I thought this sounded very viable and purchased the Heat Sensor. I went to put it in - right behind the horn but found no Heat Sensor to remove - just a empty hole that appeared to have never had anything installed (no witness marks on the flat/seal area, hole is very clean).
While I was doing this I did find that the fuel petcock was on reserve.

Could the Petcock being on reserve cause a intermittent engine shut down?
Does the FLHTCU have a Heat Sensor (should mine have this? I couldn't find a wiring plug for it anywhere)
Would a 2002 have the Bank/Lean sensor?

Old 06-10-2015, 09:43 PM
SPYDERMANN22
Novice

first chance to take it for a longer ride today, once it warmed up good it died suddenly. Sat next to the hwy for a couple of minutes turning off, on, start & repeat a couple of times then off and running again. five minutes later dead again. Sat for about an hour this time before starting. Made it home - maybe another 5 minutes.
While i sat I did pull a plug wire and used a key to test spark, nothing.
Any ides?

Old 06-11-2015, 04:11 AM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

It's the main circuit breaker under the seat. The wiring terminals corrode causing heat making the breaker trip. There was a recall in '04 and I just went through this myself. You can replace the terminals and put in a new 50 amp breaker or install a 40 amp maxi fuse which is what I did. A little research on "Harley 40 amp maxi fuse conversion" will give you some info.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:56 AM
SPYDERMANN22
Novice

Thanks LT1, I will check it out.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:50 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Carbureted bikes do not have a head temp sensor.

2002 have the tip over sensor in the TSM/TSSM (Turn signal module / Turn signal security module.) If that is what shuts it down, simply cycling the main switch on and off resets it.

If the entire bike shuts off - lights, everything - that's the sign that it's the main relay. However, the real culprit is many times a bad crimp at one of the eyelets that attaches to the relay and the heat actually shuts down the relay. The maxi fuse won't trip from heat but if it is the eyelet, it should be fixed.

Can you tell us exactly what shuts down?

Old 06-11-2015, 11:08 PM
SPYDERMANN22
Novice

when it is stalled/ shut down, everything works, blinkers, radio, lights, etc. I didn't try everything but when it died the radio was still blaring. When I would turn the ignition from off to on i could hear a fuel pump or other small electric motor run - i assumed fuel pump.
No spark what so ever when it is down.
I dont know if there is a way to get the bike to give me a code somehow like from the digital odometer or flashing light. my guess is this may be the case for EFI but not carb..?
The bike does have the security system, I did just now pull the plug in unit to see if it looked burned, or deteriorated in any way, it looked good. It does state "if it is installed incorrectly that it will shut the motor off suddenly. I can place it into it's mounting location as removed or at 180 degrees. I put it back the way it came out but is it correct? looking at the top the words are right side up if I am at the front of the bike, the wire/plug is towards the front. I had to give it the sniff test to see if I could tell if it smelled burned, it had a very slight odor but not like something fried.
The relays look good. The connections to these items looked good.
I will have to check into the other connections you mentioned. I will also look for the "eyelet crimp" you noted Ed, would this typically be at the connector block/plug? - great tip!
Thanks much for your help, greatly appreciated..

Last edited by SPYDERMANN22; 06-11-2015 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:56 AM
SPYDERMANN22
Novice

2002 FLHTCU No Heat Sensor-20150612_065755.jpgWhile checking things out this am (before work) I did see this busted off wire on the Circuit Breaker, I don's see a wire for it anywhere. Strange that the previous owner or his mechanic would leave this, I am guessing there has to be a wire somewhere. The eyelet (which had actually been broken off at the cripm) is on the copper terminal

Old 06-12-2015, 09:17 AM
SPYDERMANN22
Novice

While taking another look this am before work, I did notice this wire/eyelet that was busted off of the Circuit Breaker. Hopefully the pic comes thru but the eyelet is actually twisted and broke off at the crimp, on the copper terminal.
I did look for a wire but couldn't find one. I will look harder. It would be strange for anyone to put a broken eyelet on for any reason, I am thinking there has to be a wire down in there somewhere, any idea what it leads to?2002 FLHTCU No Heat Sensor-20150612_065755.jpg

Old 06-12-2015, 09:29 AM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

i pulled the main circuit breaker and replaced with 40 amp automotive fuse, cured the similar symptoms i was having. That was two years ago. You should also address the corroded battery cable before that becomes problematic.

Old 06-12-2015, 05:50 PM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

Mine only had the one wire on one terminal and two on the other just like your pic.

Quick Reply: 2002 FLHTCU No Heat Sensor