Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

1997 FLHTCUI EVO Turns over but won't start please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 09:01 PM
Kwalls56
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 FLHTCUI EVO Turns over but won't start please help

OK Guys I am new to the forum and I am desperate for help. My dad recently purchased a 97 FLHTCUI that had been sitting for a couple years. We were told that the coil was the only thing bad so here is a list of what has been done to the bike.

New Battery
New HD Coil
New HD Fuel Pump
After this point the bike cranked and ran, we rode it down the street and went to load it on a trailer and it quit. It would spin over but not crank.
We then removed the tank and cleaned it and placed a new tank liner in it to remove rust. Cleaned lines and injectors then the bike cranked again.
Took it to another shop to do a service it was running and then the same thing happened it stopped running and would spin over but not crank.

After this we replaced the following:
New HD Crank Position Sensor
New HD Cam Position Sensor
New HD ECM
We've checked all the basics such as ground connections, ignition switch, ohmed out all the wires to ensure no broken wires, checked all fuses, etc...

Any help would be appreciated we are considering switching over to carb but have so much in parts we would really like to figure this problem out.

Old 09-27-2015, 11:49 AM
Biker Bob
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you read the codes off the speedo?
Did you check for broken wires going to the injectors? They cause intermittent problems. Had that happen to me.
How did the fuel filter on the end of the fuel pump look? How were the plastic fuel hoses inside of tank? Did you check them for splits?
The inside of the line that runs from the fuel check valve (tank bottom) to the fuel rail can swell shut. Check that.
On off switch on handlebars causes problems like that when it gets corroded or wet.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:58 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Keep substituting parts and you will find it out...eventually.

Seriously though, you need to determine what it causing it not to fire. Just like a carbed bike it needs air fuel and spark.

Start by pulling any stored trouble codes. Next check for spark. When you say it is not cranking do you mean that the engine is not spinning over, or that the motor will not start?

Old 10-02-2015, 03:39 AM
Kwalls56
2nd Gear

OK I think we have determined it is a fuel problem instead of a spark/firing problem. With the spark plugs pulled and laid against the motor you only see it fire about every 20 revolutions. The bike will turn over good it just won't crank. The fuel pump is also new from HD. I even went as far as to pull the spark plug and pour a little gas in and put the plug back in and the bike did hit and attempt to crank. I have searched everywhere as to how to pull the codes from this bike and I could not find the correct way to read them. If you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I have also posted another thread in this same forum with an updated list of what has been done to the bike still with no luck. Thanks so much

Old 10-02-2015, 08:30 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member

The information you seek is always in the last place you look:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...ble-codes.html

You would be better off keeping the issue to one thread. How about copying and pasting the other post in this thread and have the mods lock the other one.

Do you have the service manual for the bike? If not I would strongly suggest that you buy one before proceeding. There are diagnostic flow charts to help figure out what the problem is.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:30 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwalls56
OK I think we have determined it is a fuel problem instead of a spark/firing problem. With the spark plugs pulled and laid against the motor you only see it fire about every 20 revolutions. The bike will turn over good it just won't crank. The fuel pump is also new from HD. I even went as far as to pull the spark plug and pour a little gas in and put the plug back in and the bike did hit and attempt to crank. I have searched everywhere as to how to pull the codes from this bike and I could not find the correct way to read them. If you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. I have also posted another thread in this same forum with an updated list of what has been done to the bike still with no luck. Thanks so much
Sorry your having some confusing issues.

You say you think you have a fuel problem and then tell us it's only showing a spark about every 20 revolutions. That tells me it's not sparking correctly.

Intermittent spark can be a bad ignition module.

Try borrowing a working module and plug it in to test for a bad module.

When the module goes bad it gives all kinds of weird issues including running perfectly and then failing, restarting and running perfectly again.

Also ... When you changed the cam sensor the timing is likely to be off.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:06 AM
Kwalls56
2nd Gear

OK here is what I posted about a fuel problem in the other thread. I will try to delete the other thread.

No matter how much or how long you turn the bike over the plugs are never wet with gas. When we removed the fuel lines the throttle body had no gas in it.

Starting with fuel when the fuel pump first comes on should the fuel flow come out of the return line inside the tank immediately and continuously the entire time the fuel pump is running?
Also have fuel coming out of small hole that is in the bottom of the fuel pump not sure if this is supposed to happen or not but this is a new fuel pump form Harley not an aftermarket?

Also after some work today on the bike I have this for thought as well. When you cycle the ignition on and the fuel pump runs to prime up and you can hear it running for a short time and it will turn off. The pump will do this everytime you cycle the ignition on and off as many times as you want to try it. My father in law has an 08 Ultra that we turned on today and the pump will run the first time you cycle the ignition on but when it's turned off and back on again you don't hear it running at all. I am assuming this is because the pump has built up pressure and doesn't need anymore to crank. So my question is this since my bike continues to cycle on and run do you have any thoughts as to why it would do this or could the fuel pressure regulator be bad?

Old 10-03-2015, 02:17 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fuel pump running, gas cycling, no gas in T/B, pump never stops, gas spraying out of the bottom of pump.

Seeing as how the gas is moving, and you replaced the fuel pump so it must be leaky lines in the tank or the replacement pump is not completely functioning correctly. I've heard these issues have been a problem for many as the bike ages.

Any kind of update an intermittent spark?

Last edited by JohnnyC; 10-03-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:44 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member

Have you tried pulling any trouble codes yet?
On a M&M EFI bike the fuel pump will cycle on/off every time you turn on the ignition switch.
You can try spraying a bit of fuel (a very little bit) directly into the mouth of the throttle body to see if it fires. If it does not fire then you have a spark problem. If it does, and dies out it is a fuel problem.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:03 AM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 558 Posts

Crank position sensor controls both , if it is gone or going you will get no fuel or spark , it has to sense the motor turning over before the ecm will power the fuel injectors and ignition
Just went through this with mine

Dave

Quick Reply: 1997 FLHTCUI EVO Turns over but won't start please help