Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

code p0122 please help translate

Old 05-09-2007, 12:24 AM
brocken
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default code p0122 please help translate

So, found the awesome instructions that showed me how to get my bike into diagnostic and I pulled up code p0122. I know it's listed as TP sensor open/Low EFI.
I know TP is throttle position sensor and EFI is electronic fuel injection. But to be honest, that's about all I know. Does TP sensor open mean it's disconnected? Low efi-does that mean low fuel getting to engine?

A little history on the bike, maybe it will make more sense. It's an '04 FLHTC that I picked up as a wrecked bike. Pretty minimal damage, mostly just cosmetic(all the painted parts). Engine wasn't touched at all. It looks like the guy who crashed it did take off some stuff. I know he at least had some pipes he took off but not sure what else may have been removed(i.e. tuner).
Bike starts up great. Idles ok for a while and then kinda rough when it's warmed up. Hesitates a bit when you roll on the throttle. Of course, that could be from the gas that's been sitting in the tank for the last 6 months.

Any ideas? Is it maybe something I can fix? Or should I just take it to a shop?

thanks a bunch!

Old 05-09-2007, 06:39 PM
brocken
Cruiser
Default RE: code p0122 please help translate

Any suggestions?

Old 05-11-2007, 09:58 AM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The TP signal wire should be the one furthest to the right on the sensor that is located on the side of the throttle body, it probably is grey purple and easy to find out one of the others is going to be ECM/chassis ground and the other 5V feed. You measure between the signal wire and chassis ground, preferrably at the battery negative. It should show in the area of .52 on the 04 bikes and should be smooth in graduation on the meter as you open the throttle. If it jumps around as you open the throttle, it's a bad TPS and needs to be replaced.[/align]

Old 05-11-2007, 12:35 PM
brocken
Cruiser

Thanks for the info glide!
As I started removing the air cleaner I realized there was a connector behind there that was unplugged... Sure enough, it was the TPS connector. Plugged it in, fired the bike up and the error code went away.
All the help on this forum saved me a trip to the dealer and that deserves a huge thanks!!

Old 05-11-2007, 02:35 PM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

All the problems should be so small

Old 05-11-2007, 05:54 PM
brocken
Cruiser

I know! I was so freekin excited that it was such a simple fix. Hopefully swapping out the damaged parts goes well too.